Hundreds of westerners living on the streets of Thailand

george

Every farang arriving in Thailand for the first time should be locked in a rubber room and forced to read the Marriage and Divorce section on this forum for 24 hours straight.

Oh well, if some guy is determined to drink and/or drug himself to rags or to death with some bar girl no one can stop him. Even if he's completely sober but chooses to throw it away on some cute thing half his age no one can stop him.

Life has choices.

Agreed but the the one thing I can never get my head round are the farangs who are not the drink and drug types, some pretty wealthy, educated etc who manage to lose their lot in Thailand, for the most part one assumes these people are not stupid and are fully aware of the reputation of Thai ladies, and even if they truly believe, she is different, they haven't had the foresight to have a plan B in case thing do go tits up......for me personally if after nearly 12 years with Mrs Soutpeel, I had the dirty done to me, I know almost exactly what she could get away with financially, based on what i have " invested" in thailand, and this is the amount i have prepared to "risk" or walk away from if need be

I have further taken the liberty of keeping the bulk of my finances offshore in an account she can't get at directly, to me it's just common sense, you don't throw your lot in and hope for the best, you need to make provision for the rainy day that might happen

A very sensible post. I'd also like to add that's its critical that she be able to get the money in case you die suddenly. Some spouses don't even know the money exists.

I have a joint bank account with the wife. It has enough money in it to bury me or barbeque me makes no difference to me. Plus she should be able to live a year on it. I do have money out side the country that she will receive and I have done the paper work so as my son could get it and bring it over to her.

As far as I am concerned she is my wife and I will take care of her just as if she was a farong. Mind you I was not lonely when I met her and she was not working in a bar she was a full time maid in a hotel. Only 15 years my junior. She is the best thing that ever happened to me so I feel it is my duty to make sure she is taken care of. I also have a list of accounts and pass words a friend of mine will take care of and I the same for his wife if he passes away.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are rank amateurs and the girls are highly skilled professionals. The culture promotes saying what other wants to hear far more than honesty. We come with notions that just don't apply here, and pay the price of that education.

I take it your talking from experience?

Thai Girl: Teeruk, mama need new motocbike.. you can help, because teeruk me love you, mak!!!

Farang Guy: Ok, honey, I love you too, let me know how much it costs.

Thai Girl: You good man, love you forever teeruk.

Hook line and suckered in!!

Now explain to me where the skill is in that.?

Every farang arriving in Thailand for the first time should be locked in a rubber room and forced to read the Marriage and Divorce section on this forum for 24 hours straight.

Oh well, if some guy is determined to drink and/or drug himself to rags or to death with some bar girl no one can stop him. Even if he's completely sober but chooses to throw it away on some cute thing half his age no one can stop him.

Life has choices.

Agreed but the the one thing I can never get my head round are the farangs who are not the drink and drug types, some pretty wealthy, educated etc who manage to lose their lot in Thailand, for the most part one assumes these people are not stupid and are fully aware of the reputation of Thai ladies, and even if they truly believe, she is different, they haven't had the foresight to have a plan B in case thing do go tits up......for me personally if after nearly 12 years with Mrs Soutpeel, I had the dirty done to me, I know almost exactly what she could get away with financially, based on what i have " invested" in thailand, and this is the amount i have prepared to "risk" or walk away from if need be

I have further taken the liberty of keeping the bulk of my finances offshore in an account she can't get at directly, to me it's just common sense, you don't throw your lot in and hope for the best, you need to make provision for the rainy day that might happen

A very sensible post. I'd also like to add that's its critical that she be able to get the money in case you die suddenly. Some spouses don't even know the money exists.

If I die she will get access to the account indirectly via one of my direct relatives, she will be taken care of but as all in the money in the account is not for her anyway

All this farang outsmart by night life girls. Com'on, night life girls live on money and money is their only god. Farang coming here seduced by the professional night life girls having you guys to believe how much they love you. Instead, with seducive feelings allwoing them to dry you completely and leave you to rot. My advice to farang, get the decent girl to live-in only if you are qualify otherwise go back because Thailand is not what you think it is.

Life has choices.

I have a joint bank account with the wife. It has enough money in it to bury me or barbeque me makes no difference to me. Plus she should be able to live a year on it. I do have money out side the country that she will receive and I have done the paper work so as my son could get it and bring it over to her.

As far as I am concerned she is my wife and I will take care of her just as if she was a farong. Mind you I was not lonely when I met her and she was not working in a bar she was a full time maid in a hotel. Only 15 years my junior. She is the best thing that ever happened to me so I feel it is my duty to make sure she is taken care of. I also have a list of accounts and pass words a friend of mine will take care of and I the same for his wife if he passes away.

I'm sorry if this insults you because no insult is intended. If you put most people into a position where they have access to money and no one will know or can do anything about what they actually will do with the money they will keep it all for themselves.

My prediction:

If your wife isn't going to get a work or government pension that no one can deny her she will most likely be destitute after your death.

The person handling the money after death should not be able to gain from the transaction. They should be independent.

You love your wife and I'm sure you wouldn't want to hurt her.

Consider using a banks Trust service to make sure everyone gets what you want them to get.

• Like 1

Life has choices.

If I die she will get access to the account indirectly via one of my direct relatives, she will be taken care of but as all in the money in the account is not for her anyway
Please don't take offence.

Please consider breaking the account up into individual accounts with the person listed as beneficiary. That way they might actually get it.

• Like 1

Far too many of them wouldn't listen, they just wouldn't listen. Even in that article it says there are plenty of stories to warn them of the dangers,

We even had guys on TV boasting last week that were ready to make the same mistakes, even on here, they won't listen.

You can't stop a fool being a fool.

They wouldn't listen. Up to them.

The problem is that with some of a certain age, they seem to find a second youth when hooking up with young ladies! and the problem with that is you just can't tell them. Just like kids they think they know it all. They say they won't fall into the same traps", only to fall into the same trap.

It's nothing to do with "second youth" IMO. It's just an addiction like any other eg gambling. Some people just can't control the dumbstick.

In the west, of course, they wouldn't be able to indulge, unless a zillionaire, but in LOS it's affordable even for Joe Average.

We are rank amateurs and the girls are highly skilled professionals. The culture promotes saying what other wants to hear far more than honesty. We come with notions that just don't apply here, and pay the price of that education.

Thai Girl: Teeruk, mama need new motocbike.. you can help, because teeruk me love you, mak!!!

Is that routine from your experience?

I've never heard anything like that in all my years here, and if I did, there's plenty more fish in the sea that don't think all farangs are suckers.

Far too many of them wouldn't listen, they just wouldn't listen. Even in that article it says there are plenty of stories to warn them of the dangers,

We even had guys on TV boasting last week that were ready to make the same mistakes, even on here, they won't listen.

The problem is that with some of a certain age, they seem to find a second youth when hooking up with young ladies! and the problem with that is you just can't tell them. Just like kids they think they know it all. They say they won't fall into the same traps", only to fall into the same trap.

It's nothing to do with "second youth" IMO. It's just an addiction like any other eg gambling. Some people just can't control the dumbstick.

In the west, of course, they wouldn't be able to indulge, unless a zillionaire, but in LOS it's affordable even for Joe Average.

Yes and Many Joe averages end up penniless and homeless. So not so affordable as you think!

Edited by ggold

having lived here many years .having built the house etc etc,now single again...i tell my freinds ,go ahead fall in love ,have some drinks,but never every allow your self to be ''cleaned out'',always have a back up plan,never give anyone the ''a blank cheque'',things change...and we all know what they think of a foreinger with no money....

Edited by metisdead
Overly large and bold font reset to normal.

These `westerners` what % are Brits . What % are Oz .It makes me sick to be the same race as these useless bums. Round them all up , & ship them all back to their original destinations . I for one have had enough . Renewing a retirement visa is now a nightmare . So its adios to the LOS .

One American has been identified as homeless (according to Southpeel).

No Brits, no Oz, no NZ so far.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Yes and Many Joe averages end up penniless and homeless. So not so affordable as you think!

As I previously posted, I ended up homeless, penniless, childless and a person of interest to the police at age 50 in the UK. Due to a British wife in the UK, it can happen anywhere, and surprisingly quickly and easily.

My GF does legal work and I have read and seen it all.

Her business is growing fast as people still make the same mistakes.

She advises clients to cover their butt and get things on paper.

If or when things go pear shaped then these documents can be used to support their case in the courts.

So guys get smart and dont think that your girls different - because 9 times out of 10 there's a family pushing her to get benefits. Your benefits.

Get all you paperwork in order - your contracts (chanots, loans etc.), your Will, car ownership, bank accounts etc.

It doesnt cost much and will save/minimise future problems.

All very well but I did that, tied everything up with leases and company structures, was married for nearly a decade with several children from that relationship and living a very relaxed life together.

Now in year three of many court cases to get the assets and businesses back, with children to take care of and school, no opportunity to work because at court at least twice a month which with travel means a week a month unable to work - who would employ me? I have no home and have to live away from where I was staying.

My family back home has been supporting me as well as me selling other assets. The Thai courts are horrendously slow, the administration is corrupt because evidence is conveniently removed such as police forensic proof of fraud and the lawyers in Phuket are their own gang who work together and use every trick to delay and cause you expense hoping you will run out of the will to continue or run out of money,

You cannot choose your translator as the defence will refuse and the court translator is friends with the lawyers as they see each other daily. This means that your evidence gets twisted and often recorded as the opposite of what you said. You cannot get costs like in the west so your travel, lawyers fees and other expenses (10,000 baht for the police to prove a forged signature in.

A criminal case for instance and a percentage charge if it is for a civil claim) - all irrecoverable. So far the cost is over 2 million baht and will end up being triple that - you cannot imagine how expensive it is. Many lawyers in Phuket are so thoroughly corrupt they work against you, paid by the other side to delay or submit a useless claim you can never win.

There are many twists and turns but make no mistake, Thai law is very weak, massively biased towards the Defence, massively expensive, hopelessly biased against the foreigner in practice - not because of biased judges sometimes but more because of the whole procedure and manipulation of it by the lawyers.

Where property is involved the modes operandi is to steal the property, then mortgage it to release the asset. Money lenders, bank managers, land officials and lawyers are all involved in the scam. Even when you have proven the fraud you get nothing back because the bank is involved, protected by the law, not required to do any due diligence for a loan and you are screwed.

It is not so simple as tying everything up legally. Thailand is a place you should invest nothing in ever for your family assets or business because the law and procedures are against you as well as a sizable proportion of people all greedy for your money. Until the laws are changed foreigners should avoid investing in Thailand at all.

I am not the only one - I know of at least six other foreigners in the same boat and I suspect tree are actually hundreds. Even one of the Phuket consuls as been scammed - no one helping him either!

Maybe some of these people deserve their fate, maybe some even accept it but I am sure there are many who do deserve a helping hand and I note the selfishness of many of the posters in here. It disgusts me.

without side tracking this forum into a legal one - it sounds like you were involved in house and land or business - where 1 you cannot own land and 2 you can only own 49% of the business.

So you were aware of the dangers.

Also, getting a good Lawyer is like finding gold.

Also, it happens all over the World not just here.

I am sorry it ended up this way for you.

Maybe my GF's business is so successful is because they don't screw people ?

My GF does legal work and I have read and seen it all.

Her business is growing fast as people still make the same mistakes.

She advises clients to cover their butt and get things on paper.

If or when things go pear shaped then these documents can be used to support their case in the courts.

So guys get smart and dont think that your girls different - because 9 times out of 10 there's a family pushing her to get benefits. Your benefits.

Get all you paperwork in order - your contracts (chanots, loans etc.), your Will, car ownership, bank accounts etc.

It doesnt cost much and will save/minimise future problems.

All very well but I did that, tied everything up with leases and company structures, was married for nearly a decade with several children from that relationship and living a very relaxed life together.

Now in year three of many court cases to get the assets and businesses back, with children to take care of and school, no opportunity to work because at court at least twice a month which with travel means a week a month unable to work - who would employ me? I have no home and have to live away from where I was staying.

My family back home has been supporting me as well as me selling other assets. The Thai courts are horrendously slow, the administration is corrupt because evidence is conveniently removed such as police forensic proof of fraud and the lawyers in Phuket are their own gang who work together and use every trick to delay and cause you expense hoping you will run out of the will to continue or run out of money,

You cannot choose your translator as the defence will refuse and the court translator is friends with the lawyers as they see each other daily. This means that your evidence gets twisted and often recorded as the opposite of what you said. You cannot get costs like in the west so your travel, lawyers fees and other expenses (10,000 baht for the police to prove a forged signature in.

A criminal case for instance and a percentage charge if it is for a civil claim) - all irrecoverable. So far the cost is over 2 million baht and will end up being triple that - you cannot imagine how expensive it is. Many lawyers in Phuket are so thoroughly corrupt they work against you, paid by the other side to delay or submit a useless claim you can never win.

There are many twists and turns but make no mistake, Thai law is very weak, massively biased towards the Defence, massively expensive, hopelessly biased against the foreigner in practice - not because of biased judges sometimes but more because of the whole procedure and manipulation of it by the lawyers.

Where property is involved the modes operandi is to steal the property, then mortgage it to release the asset. Money lenders, bank managers, land officials and lawyers are all involved in the scam. Even when you have proven the fraud you get nothing back because the bank is involved, protected by the law, not required to do any due diligence for a loan and you are screwed.

It is not so simple as tying everything up legally. Thailand is a place you should invest nothing in ever for your family assets or business because the law and procedures are against you as well as a sizable proportion of people all greedy for your money. Until the laws are changed foreigners should avoid investing in Thailand at all.

I am not the only one - I know of at least six other foreigners in the same boat and I suspect tree are actually hundreds. Even one of the Phuket consuls as been scammed - no one helping him either!

Maybe some of these people deserve their fate, maybe some even accept it but I am sure there are many who do deserve a helping hand and I note the selfishness of many of the posters in here. It disgusts me.

BTW - you can choose your own translator -

True one point brought up . If you do buy a house and its in your wifes name . Its best to get a will done willing everything to you if she dies or falls in front of a big truck one day to leave you a widower.... The house becomes yours but you must sell or transfer it to a Thai within one year ... I have heard and know of different situations that a 30 year lease agreement is another form of protection .. But heard both bad and good I think it depends on where its registered .......

But, perhaps the ride was worth it!

Then they can go home and get social security for the rest of their life.

The number that can't do that must be very small.

Well here a great plan why not give these homeless people a job teaching English in exchange of a flight home or whatever as ASEAN 2015 is just around the corner win win situation if you ask me ...whistling.gifwai.gif

You need to change your avatar. It's misleading based on the rationale behind your comment.

These `westerners` what % are Brits . What % are Oz .It makes me sick to be the same race as these useless bums. Round them all up , & ship them all back to their original destinations . I for one have had enough . Renewing a retirement visa is now a nightmare . So its adios to the LOS .

How is renewing the extension of stay a nightmare it took me 10 min in Feb. I waited for 30 to get it back but no big deal.

IT WILL BE when you have altzeimers or some other age related malaise

Reading " Money number one " should be made mandatory before you can purchase a ticket to Thailand.

is there a country in the world where money is not number one. where can you go and things are free ??

I think you are being a little disrespectfull to Thailand, this is not a thai problem .. Happens everywhere ..

• Like 1

Is that routine from your experience?

I've never heard anything like that in all my years here, and if I did, there's plenty more fish in the sea that don't think all farangs are suckers.

butthurt farang alert!!!!!!!!

Oh shiat how could those inferior asians actualy do that to the superior farangs.

• Like 1

I have my own opinion on alcoholics n drug abusers and its this, its not an illness or addiction its a weakness ..

If your not strong enough n wise enough to stop then you will suffer in all manner of ways ..

You have to want to give up drink or drugs , this is the downfall for so many worldwide..

Cant blame the ladies , its the westeners that are indeed stupid ..

Fair enough to go to Thailand and spend all your money, just make sure you have a ticket home and be on the flight..

If people don't make there flights then it should become a police n immigration problem..

I took a lady home to Nam Som in Udon Thani few times same lady ..

We went to the bar that has the karaoke attached on the corner..

Sitting with lady, owner comes over n chats , she says she have 6 farrang boyfren, all send money,buy her bar,karaoke, n

holiday resort .. Thai boyfriend picks her up in his ferrang funded car n they go off to play poker , the night before she lost 30thousand baht ..

I said to my lady that the owner is bad lady for doing this to ferrang ..

She said "stupid ferrang , not bad lady ".

so I guess what im saying is that the problem is stupid ferrangs .. lady not to blame ...

A very very small minority are on the streets. .

I once tried to help a British man who was homeless and in a bad way, mentally and physically. I called the British embassy and they said they could not do anything unless he was incarcerated in prison or a mental institute.

They never offered any other assistance and said there was nothing else they could do. I saw the man again a week later still on the street and took matters int my own hands to help him get home.

Anyone else have experiences or information to share relating to farang street people? Any embassy comments on what to do if we find these people?

Yes the British Embassy is an utter disgrace. They are only here to support business so the government can report on stronger trade for a few votes back home. Worse they milk their citizens with outrageous passport fees and visa applications for others. The worst is they try to pass off their immoral and gutter behavior by trying to tell people how they are they to help. Disgusting civil servants the lot of them. They are humanly unworthy.

• Like 1

The trick is learning those lessons without losing all your assets. It helps if you are a cheap son of a biatch.

Reading " Money number one " should be made mandatory before you can purchase a ticket to Thailand.

Interesting. Any idea where I can do free download

This is a great place to use your imagination. A book's title can actually say it all.

Money number one. Think it through. Extrapolate a little.

I keep a photo handy of my no1 girl of six years wearing a No Money No Honey tee shirt.

Sure its a national joke, but . . . . . . . hey. . . . . most jokes are based on truths.

There have to be some odds available, but you could at least presume 19 out of 20 women, or boys or woossy blokes in Thailand need you for your money, or need your money or would like your money, at least would like to share your money with you and in many cases need to.

The odds would be hard to define, however with that in mind approach all relationships with due caution.

I've contributed substantially to the life of my no1 girl because she has our lovely daughter, but I have always explained that my bags are next to the door.

Even if you have no money, or much property elsewhere, at least you need to be "appearing" to be keeping the upper hand.

Its Asia, after all. . . . never a dull moment. Stay on your toes. Don't drink or do other stuff too much. Don't accept drinks from strangers in Pattya . . etc etc

Agree Maggusoil. I can imagine what's all about but just wanna read it.

I once tried to help a British man who was homeless and in a bad way, mentally and physically. I called the British embassy and they said they could not do anything unless he was incarcerated in prison or a mental institute.

They never offered any other assistance and said there was nothing else they could do. I saw the man again a week later still on the street and took matters int my own hands to help him get home.

Anyone else have experiences or information to share relating to farang street people? Any embassy comments on what to do if we find these people?

Yes the British Embassy is an utter disgrace. They are only here to support business so the government can report on stronger trade for a few votes back home. Worse they milk their citizens with outrageous passport fees and visa applications for others. The worst is they try to pass off their immoral and gutter behavior by trying to tell people how they are they to help. Disgusting civil servants the lot of them. They are humanly unworthy.

I'm surprised about this cos i thought western countries would have more human rights and treat their citizens better.