Hundreds of westerners living on the streets of Thailand

george

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you do that?

How can you speak for 'everyone'?

I don't need to do that, I already work fulltime, despite being terminally ill. I'll stop working when I'm dead.

I don't speak for everyone, but as a Westerner visiting this nation, I feel ashamed that other Westerners would come here and just slob around if they don't even have money to spend here. Back in the UK theres bedsits and plenty of low-end jobs you can get, work and save up and come back here as a legit tourist and spend money here, contributing to this nation and having a good time while you're at it.

I don't have much sympathy for sob stories and self pity. The people I know who uniformly came from the absolute worst council estates and hardest childhoods etc. have all got jobs and are stand-up guys. There is no reason to just roam the streets in a foreign land, where you do not pay taxes or contribute in any way. I have lots of friends working factory jobs back in the UK, saving up and coming to Thailand for holidays. Why is that OK for them but not for these ppl in the OP?

Near me there is a German guy and his wife who pick the crap out of the bins for 200B a day. He's not had a passport for 12 years, let alone a visa. One night he and his wife had a beer with the wife and myself (after much persuasion).

They live in a shack near the canal which they pay 800B a month for. The cops, the Immis just leave him be. Why? Because he loves his wife, does no-one any harm and is living his life with the woman he loves.

I don't have a problem with that to be honest.

Mate, I hear you. Better that than this one upmanship <deleted> that forces ordinarily decent folk to have to buy more and more stuff they don't want or need with more and more money they don't have...

Do you do that?

I don't need to do that, I already work fulltime, despite being terminally ill. I'll stop working when I'm dead.

I don't speak for everyone, but as a Westerner visiting this nation, I feel ashamed that other Westerners would come here and just slob around if they don't even have money to spend here. Back in the UK theres bedsits and plenty of low-end jobs you can get, work and save up and come back here as a legit tourist and spend money here, contributing to this nation and having a good time while you're at it.

I don't have much sympathy for sob stories and self pity. The people I know who uniformly came from the absolute worst council estates and hardest childhoods etc. have all got jobs and are stand-up guys. There is no reason to just roam the streets in a foreign land, where you do not pay taxes or contribute in any way. I have lots of friends working factory jobs back in the UK, saving up and coming to Thailand for holidays. Why is that OK for them but not for these ppl in the OP?

If you are terminally ill the get the xxxx off this forum and live your last days instead of posting lies on an internet forum..

Far too many of them wouldn't listen, they just wouldn't listen. Even in that article it says there are plenty of stories to warn them of the dangers,

We even had guys on TV boasting last week that were ready to make the same mistakes, even on here, they won't listen.

You can't stop a fool being a fool.

They wouldn't listen. Up to them.

Wow thanks for sharing this incredibly insightful post that I feel has substantially added to the discourse on this issue. Appreciate the fool being a fool statement, quite obvious, given people do as they do. Which brings me to,

They wouldn't listen, Up to them.

Yep the infamous they strikes again, for not listening this time. and Wow, free will, self determination and maybe live let live sorta attitude from people towards others personal choices.

Really I am being utterly lazy in dissecting this, but it gets a little tiring reading the Captain obvious posts.

But yeah it is up to you, as it is up to me to post whatever i want as per the community rules. But really I just feel that you should kinda listen to me, and get it that a post like yours, wastes energy and causing just little more damage to the environment, but didn't add anything at all to humanity or anyone else's life at all not one bit of value. Listen please consider the environment next time you want to post utterly obvious feelings and expectations held by most people in question, even those who probably didn't listen.

Good night.... thanks

• Like 1

Near me there is a German guy and his wife who pick the crap out of the bins for 200B a day. He's not had a passport for 12 years, let alone a visa. One night he and his wife had a beer with the wife and myself (after much persuasion).

They live in a shack near the canal which they pay 800B a month for. The cops, the Immis just leave him be. Why? Because he loves his wife, does no-one any harm and is living his life with the woman he loves.

I agree with That , he keeps a Low profile lives his life , Harms No one .

How does he get 200Barht a Day picking though Bins ?

I would assume they collect things like alum cans, paper, plastic etc that they then sell to one of the recycle centers.

• Like 1

Do you do that?

If you are terminally ill the get the xxxx off this forum and live your last days instead of posting lies on an internet forum..

Wow. Now there's a conversation stopper.

For the righteous imagine living in a gutter being a beggar in Bangkok whether due to indolence,divorce,substance abuse or mental despair its hardly a career choice.

Nobody is saying that those people who are actually mentally ill and begging on the streets, are having an easy life. But if they are mentally or physically sick and from the West, they should return there and go into the care system. For example in the UK they would get counselling for mental problems, medication, food and shelter. Its not really about judging them either, its about perspective. If they are mentally ill, they would be better off in care than in the gutter.

My original post was directed at the lines I originally quoted in the OP, about [to paraphrase] 'westerners who come here and spent all their money on girls and drink/drugs' and when the money ran out they just stayed on. That is different to somebody who is genuinely mentally ill or severely disabled. In both those latter cases you shouldn't be in a foreign country with no money or passport, for your OWN safety you should be in your homeland & in the care system. And like I said in my original post, if you are young and healthy, and spent all your money you should return and earn more money. The laws apply to everyone, about having a valid passport and visa, and having a means to support yourself in a foreign country. I can't go through the airport metal detectors without setting off the sirens, because I've got two metal hips and a metal shoulder, caused by MS with serious epilepsy component. I lost both my hips in my 20s to this disease, but I didn't sit round crying about it, I just found a new job where I could sit down. I would rather have died already than to leech food or whatever off the sympathy of Thai people, if I couldn't afford to live here I wouldn't be here at all. I don't think infirmity comes into this, if you are mentally ill you should be in care, and if you are disabled you can still find a way to stay ontop of things. If you just spent your holiday money and don't want to go back, thats tough, you have to consider the people of the nation you are sleeping rough in too.

Edited by Yunla

Fair points I am not defending their lifestyle.

However as someone who worked as a volunteer with the homeless in UK and America I would feel safer sleeping anywhere in Thailand than wintry Seattle or Glasgow,plus where I worked in Manchester drugs ,rape and assault by young drunks would make death on Jomtien each attractive.

In Penzance UKan old homeless woman was set on fire while sheltering in the bus staion ,a family with 5 kids lived in a car etc in the 1990s.

I think many find they present a poor image to clean natives.

However if the authorities wanted to tackle them they have the guns,cops,aeroplanes at their disposal like they did with the Rohyinga and burning out refugees deporting Hmong etc.

Of course there's no profit in it.If they want a sweep like the war on drugs.If they,their embassy and the Thais wont pay to get rid of them ,what do you suggest ?

Edited by RubbaJohnny

For the righteous imagine living in a gutter being a beggar in Bangkok whether due to indolence,divorce,substance abuse or mental despair its hardly a career choice.

Nobody is saying that those people who are actually mentally ill and begging on the streets, are having an easy life. But if they are mentally or physically sick and from the West, they should return there and go into the care system. For example in the UK they would get counselling for mental problems, medication, food and shelter. Its not really about judging them either, its about perspective. If they are mentally ill, they would be better off in care than in the gutter.

My original post was directed at the lines I originally quoted in the OP, about [to paraphrase] 'westerners who come here and spent all their money on girls and drink/drugs' and when the money ran out they just stayed on. That is different to somebody who is genuinely mentally ill or severely disabled. In both those latter cases you shouldn't be in a foreign country with no money or passport, for your OWN safety you should be in your homeland & in the care system. And like I said in my original post, if you are young and healthy, and spent all your money you should return and earn more money. The laws apply to everyone, about having a valid passport and visa, and having a means to support yourself in a foreign country. I can't go through the airport metal detectors without setting off the sirens, because I've got two metal hips and a metal shoulder, caused by MS with serious epilepsy component. I lost both my hips in my 20s to this disease, but I didn't sit round crying about it, I just found a new job where I could sit down. I would rather have died already than to leech food or whatever off the sympathy of Thai people, if I couldn't afford to live here I wouldn't be here at all. I don't think infirmity comes into this, if you are mentally ill you should be in care, and if you are disabled you can still find a way to stay ontop of things. If you just spent your holiday money and don't want to go back, thats tough, you have to consider the people of the nation you are sleeping rough in too.

Is there is no limit to your compartmentalisation and judgementalism ??

Amazing, you say you are terminally ill, but have no compassion for people on the floor ?? ( and does it matter how they got there ??? )

Fact is they are there and need help, not damnation.

Something wrong with Leeds polytechnic methinks.........

Edited by philw

Amazing, you say you are terminally ill, but have no compassion for people on the floor ?? ( and does it matter how they got there ??? )

Leeds University actually. I was a sociology lecturer there until I resigned my post because I felt the sight of me going into hyperconvulsive seizure would be unpsetting to the students.

And I dont "say" I'm terminally ill. I have primary-progressive MS. There is no cure for it and no medicines for it either. I have brain lesions all across the front and back of my brain. They are making me blind and causing me brain-trauma epilepsy. My doctor said I would be dead 5 years ago. I also work as a disabled rights activist and am deeply concerned with all people who suffer in the world. I studied my Sociology Masters while I was on mission work as a Nun, I was a Nun from age 16-28. I am not the ogre you are so quick to paint me as, in your rage.

My post, was directed at party tourists who were referenced in the OP. Drink drugs and sex, spend up all the money then doss on the streets. My own feelings is that they should grow up and go back to work, and return when they can afford to holiday here, or find a job here. You should probably read posts properly before you rage at them in future.

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2

Leeds University actually. I was a sociology lecturer there until I resigned my post because I felt the sight of me going into hyperconvulsive seizure would be unpsetting to the students.

And I dont "say" I'm terminally ill. I have primary-progressive MS. There is no cure for it and no medicines for it either. I have brain lesions all across the front and back of my brain. They are making me blind and causing me brain-trauma epilepsy. My doctor said I would be dead 5 years ago. I also work as a disabled rights activist and am deeply concerned with all people who suffer in the world. I studied my Sociology Masters while I was on mission work as a Nun, I was a Nun from age 16-28. I am not the ogre you are so quick to paint me as, in your rage.

My post, was directed at party tourists who were referenced in the OP. Drink drugs and sex, spend up all the money then doss on the streets. My own feelings is that they should grow up and go back to work, and return when they can afford to holiday here, or find a job here. You should probably read posts properly before you rage at them in future.

No rage on my side sweetie and wish you well in overcoming your difficulties.

What kind of nun and can an ex religious believer teach non judgemental, impartial sociology ???

No rage on my side sweetie and wish you well in overcoming your difficulties.

What kind of nun and can an ex religious believer teach non judgemental, impartial sociology ???

I'm not an ex-believer, I am no longer in the Anglican Order I was in, but I still love Jesus Christ and always will. I think to suffer the pain he suffered, and to forgive those who inflicted that pain on him, is a most powerful and beautiful thing. I don't see a dichotomy between being an Anglican Nun and studying or teaching sociology. I was in a childrens care home from 8-15 (this is actually getting back on topic now) in Wakefield, and I ran away because it was a very cruel and bad place, and was homeless at age 15 on the streets. I befriended an Anglican priest who talked to me a lot, and said I could join the order at 16 but I could not be a Nun until 18 or later (or never) depending on the people overseeing me. But he said I clearly had faith, and he was concerned also because the care home I ran away from had a history of abuse, and he felt I needed guidance. For me sociology was about a love of books, I could spend whole days and nights reading in the library. And so I never saw reading about human society as any different from being homeless, or being religious, or being anything else, its all the same thing. I never saw being a Nun as being judgmental either, it was just about being a comforting presence, and helping people. But also about being helped myself, because I think things would have gone badly for me if I hadn't been accepted in the order. My MS nosedived in my mid 20s, I felt I could not offer my care to people when I was having seizures all the time, and shortly after being accepted as lecturer, I felt the same thing. I broke off lecturing after only 2 months, which was the saddest day of my life. But back on topic again, you can really pick yourself up, and find new work, find God, find anything. But you wont find it laying in a back street. And in the UK there are outreach centres, housing federations, and of course the NHS, there are many things that can help a sick homeless person in the UK, which do not exist in Thailand. I don't have any answers much less all the answers, but I know that if you are sick and from the West, then thats the best place for you to get help.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

I would assume they collect things like alum cans, paper, plastic etc that they then sell to one of the recycle centers.

Interesting , he is actually helping the environment and earns enough to pay for the rent and food.

I might try this as a last resort if I go totally broke .

Do you do that?

Why do you accuse him of being a liar? It is possible to have a terminal disease ( cancer ) and still live a completely normal life for many years before it kills one.

Besides, life is a terminal condition- it's just that non terminal people don't know when the time will come.

Interesting , he is actually helping the environment and earns enough to pay for the rent and food.

I might try this as a last resort if I go totally broke .

Not a good idea in an area already covered by a poor Thai person.

If a farang does that ( stays in LOS with his wife without a visa/ passport ), if he does get arrested, will his wife also be charged for aiding and abbetting a criminal. Something to think about.

Why do you accuse him of being a liar? It is possible to have a terminal disease ( cancer ) and still live a completely normal life for many years before it kills one.

Besides, life is a terminal condition- it's just that non terminal people don't know when the time will come.

Its true and nobody has a monopoly on suffering or dying, in my opinion everybody in the world suffers in some way or other, just look at all the millionaires who are alcoholic or drug addict or can't sleep because they feel like they are wasting the chance to earn money overnight. I certainly don't feel I am unlucky despite being very ill, I have the luxury of friends that love me deeply, and I still have appreciation of the beauty of birdsong and tree-blossoms etc. My original reason for mentioning in passing that I'm so ill, was that I suffixed it with "but I'm still working" and I work as much as I'm physically able to. I also have friends on dialysis and other terrible illnesses, they all work as much as possible. So I feel that everyone should work to pay their way, if they are physically and mentally able to. And if they are unable to, then they should obviously be in the care system of their home nations, systems that while being far from perfect, were infact designed for the seriously infirm of mind or body.

Thailand is a developing nation, and relies partly on tourist revenue to stay afloat, if tourists are here without money, passports or visas, that is not only detrimental to the land they are living in, but it is also an insult to the host nation. Its like saying "I don't think you're even worth getting a passport or visa or spending money in." Also of course, if you are here without the required documents and a means of support, I believe you can be put in a holding centre, which by all accounts are so very grim that if you weren't ill to begin with you soon would be after staying there.

Its true and nobody has a monopoly on suffering or dying, in my opinion everybody in the world suffers in some way or other, just look at all the millionaires who are alcoholic or drug addict or can't sleep because they feel like they are wasting the chance to earn money overnight. I certainly don't feel I am unlucky despite being very ill, I have the luxury of friends that love me deeply, and I still have appreciation of the beauty of birdsong and tree-blossoms etc. My original reason for mentioning in passing that I'm so ill, was that I suffixed it with "but I'm still working" and I work as much as I'm physically able to. I also have friends on dialysis and other terrible illnesses, they all work as much as possible. So I feel that everyone should work to pay their way, if they are physically and mentally able to. And if they are unable to, then they should obviously be in the care system of their home nations, systems that while being far from perfect, were infact designed for the seriously infirm of mind or body.

Thailand is a developing nation, and relies partly on tourist revenue to stay afloat, if tourists are here without money, passports or visas, that is not only detrimental to the land they are living in, but it is also an insult to the host nation. Its like saying "I don't think you're even worth getting a passport or visa or spending money in." Also of course, if you are here without the required documents and a means of support, I believe you can be put in a holding centre, which by all accounts are so very grim that if you weren't ill to begin with you soon would be after staying there.

Seems to me that most people have not so wonderful lives and suffer. Has to be the reason alcohol and other drugs are so popular, as is becoming addicted to the internet, tv, whatever, as they take one out of one's reality.

Even the very rich are not happy- look at Mr Playboy, always trying to bonk young women, despite being very rich.

Conversly, it seems the people that are happiest are those that have enough to live, but have very little in the way of possessions. Thais 20 years ago, when most of them were rather poor, seemed to me to be happier than they are now. Certainly, the "smile" seems to have left LOS some years ago.

Far too many of them wouldn't listen, they just wouldn't listen. Even in that article it says there are plenty of stories to warn them of the dangers,

We even had guys on TV boasting last week that were ready to make the same mistakes, even on here, they won't listen.

You can't stop a fool being a fool.

They wouldn't listen. Up to them.

I made the same mistake in the UK. Nobody warned me if I bought a house a wife could take 100% of it from me and have the police throw me out on the streets. Not exclusively a Thai problem.

NONSENSE, not true, 100% loss NO WAY, More info please. Was it your home ?