Traffic light queue jumping

hansje1980

I become more and more impolite and rude in Thailand. On BKk tollways I drive on the emergency lanes when there is heavy traffic, I even skip 2km of traffic from traffic lights by driving on the emergency lane (and sometimes a wheel on the grass) because it saves me sometimes over 30mins of waiting.

I remember I was all polite at first in Thailand but started realizing that I'm a dumb cow by watching many others passing by in the other lane, so I started doing it as well and I know it's really really bad but it does feel much better now after a year.

I know some may not like what I do but I just feel stupid not doing it. Yes I would accept a fine even, although they would need to fine dozens in front and behind me lol.

I wonder what you think of this queue skipping and also be honest like me if you actually do it as well sometimes :)

Safe driving all ! ;)

• Like 1

I must admit that I sometimes do it as well.

On a huge intersection in Pattaya, north patt road and 3'rd road, I almost do it each time or I would be sitting there forever.

I think most expats "adopt" to the local driving styles pretty fast.

One thing I must remember is if I ever drive a car back in Denmark I better drive nicely and not drive Thai style or I will be in trouble and likely pay a hefty fine too.

I never drive drunk so in that regard I don't do as (some) locals do, too risky and what about if you killed somebody, I would never forgive myself.

I also tried to continue driving with consideration after moving here,, but after a few blown fuses including stopping one arrogant driver in the middle of a 4 lane carriageway and giving him a mouthful and some more, decided its much safer to stay in my car and do as most others do, or leave the wife to drive as I now mostly do,, I try to beat it and always start off a journey driving with consideration until a few idiots cut me up, then the driving style changes,, the sad thing is though that my wife, who has always been one of the more reasonable thai drivers, sometimes in my opinion being to reasonable,, but lately I've seen her adopting some of my bad tactics which is completely out of character for her

• Like 1

I totally agree with the "when in Rome" theory, and that applies to anything to do with living in Thailand. Park where you want, stop in the driving lane and put on your hazard lights, run the red light if it can be done safely to avoid the bus behind you from nailing you etc.

However, my particular favourite is the lack of the western taboo of picking ones nose in public. As a lifelong furtive picker, it's refreshing being able to openly indulge oneself in public. whistling.gif

• Like 1

It´s all fun until something goes terribly wrong. And although it doesn´t happen everytime, the alien might get the blame more easily. Keep it safe guys.

I really hope i´ll never have any trouble here, mainly i´m really scared of killing one of these suicide bikers. Hiding in the worst blindspots and always turning up were they´re not suposed to be in traffic. They almost got me three times already, just the hand of god saved them (us) facepalm.gifEven if it was clearly not my fault in any of these cases i never want to be in such a situation.

What bothers me the most is the abuse of the lanes, in a traffic jam or when someone thinks he´s a vip. My home is located in a road with almost no traffic jam at all. The only problem is an intersection with 4 lanes straight/right and 1 left. There i have t make on final turn left to be at home. But when there is heavy traffic they guys going straight will block the left lane for 30 or 40 minutes when it´s a bad day. Sometimes it´s only one guy with no shame blocking the left, sometimes it´s a whole bunch of *******

• Like 1

Somewhat related to the bigger idea here....

My first experience at trying to board a bus at a bus stop resulted in missing two buses, because the undisciplined, disorganized crowd jostled their way over the tops of my shoes right into the bus ahead of me, although I had been waiting much longer than most of them. Of course, they filled up the seats and aisle, until there was no more room, and the bus assistant waved me off to wait for the next bus.

Missed two buses. OK, I'm a slow learner.

By the time the third bus came along (1.5 hours after the original bus I should have gotten on), I became part of the throng of buffaloes and made it onto the bus after elbowing my way through to the front, and using a couple of football blocks I remembered from high school days. (Smiling all the time, of course). From then on, standard practice for me.

Yes, I feel less of a civilized human being, but at least I can get around.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

My driving style was always somewhat "sportive" I did drive simmilar in my home country than I do here but it costs me quite a bit less on fines here hehe. therefore I not drive stupid or dangerous nor I want to irritate others but I always say I want to keep it efficient :) so far never had an accident and try to keep it so

• Like 1

I must admit that I sometimes do it as well.

On a huge intersection in Pattaya, north patt road and 3'rd road, I almost do it each time or I would be sitting there forever.

I think most expats "adopt" to the local driving styles pretty fast.

One thing I must remember is if I ever drive a car back in Denmark I better drive nicely and not drive Thai style or I will be in trouble and likely pay a hefty fine too.

I never drive drunk so in that regard I don't do as (some) locals do, too risky and what about if you killed somebody, I would never forgive myself.

I do not use emergency lanes. I do respect the highway code, and try to keep to the left and respect the speed limits. No desire of being another of the uncivilized throng of bloody emergency lane dangers. I do not jump queues either. The other day, tried to give way to an ambulance... But it was useless. The Thai buffalos behind me, tried to use the space I gave to move ahead... I had to signal them manually to move aside. In the end, waste of time, the ambulance did not go anywhere.

This week-end, using the Chonburi BKK motorway, there were at least 3 cars/buses broken down on the elevated expressway. Just another dangerous place akin to Boromratchonanni (or whatever its name) elevated highway. Going (too) fast, or using the emergency lane can end up killing someone. I guess nobody of those here who admitted doing these practices have ever thought about that.

• Like 2

I try to follow the highway code. Rather do like that then feel guilty for braking the highway code (yes, I actually feel guilty for driving on the emergency lane).

I might be not the quickest at my destination, but at least I feel good about myself ;)

I normally don't go over 145 on the motorway......well it's more the pick-up can't go over 145 but in reality it is probably only 130. And I still get passed by all manner of vehicles!

I take it real easy in town. 50 to 60 or down to 30 on the small soi's and lanes.

Thai's are poorly trained in the art of vehicle operation, So I never say something like: Just drive like the Thai's do. Better to drive like an Australian, English or European!

• Like 1