Honesty a thing of the past?

Bagwan

This might upset a few, so please keep in mind this is an opinion. I'm not trying to upset anyone or troll this forum, I'm only expressing an opinion based on my experience.

Ok, here it goes:

I have worked in more than 40 countries. I have lived on every continent. I speak 7 languages. I consider myself reasonably experienced in the art of judging people. But trust me when I say that I have NEVER met as many liars as in England. Not GB or UK, but England. I have found that people in England are prepared to tell lies if hit helps them in business and in any social situation if it helps them in any way. It's an observation based on lifelong experience, not an isolated event.

Rich people, poor people; it's like a national disease that would make the bangkok tuk-tuk scammers look like a bunch of quire boys in comparison. To be clear, Thailand are light years behind England on the dishonesty-scale.

Again, sorry if this upsets anyone.

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 2

I have worked in more than 40 countries. I have lived on every continent. I speak 7 languages. I consider myself reasonably experienced in the art of judging people.

No offence intended, but what does this prove?

Some pollies can claim far greater numbers very often, yet have no idea about the general publics perception, nor do they have any idea about how 'average' folk live......

For all most here know, you could be a CEO, earning 500k USD minimum (before stock), and thus, your opinion is pretty worthless to the general TV user...

Given what you have said, I wouldn't be surprised if you are earning huge money, and living quite different to the average person... Lets face it, speaking 7 languages is a fuc_king amazing rare talent... one that you can earn huge money for... I just read an article about a girl in oz who speaks 4, earning 200k helping foreigners buy / plan / decorate houses... She simply acts as an interpretor and middle man. If she can do that, speaking 7, you must be doing some amazingly crazy stuff haha if not, im sure you have some very funny prank calls you can share :P

You would do better by providing in sight into why your opinion should be treated as valid, rather then trying to harp on and impress people by the number of places you have lived and worked smile.png

My 2c is all smile.png Sorry if you disagree or take offence.

Edited by x0r1987

This might upset a few, so please keep in mind this is an opinion. I'm not trying to upset anyone or troll this forum, I'm only expressing an opinion based on my experience.

Ok, here it goes:

I have worked in more than 40 countries. I have lived on every continent. I speak 7 languages. I consider myself reasonably experienced in the art of judging people. But trust me when I say that I have NEVER met as many liars as in England. Not GB or UK, but England. I have found that people in England are prepared to tell lies if hit helps them in business and in any social situation if it helps them in any way. It's an observation based on lifelong experience, not an isolated event.

Rich people, poor people; it's like a national disease that would make the bangkok tuk-tuk scammers look like a bunch of quire boys in comparison. To be clear, Thailand are light years behind England on the dishonesty-scale.

I'm always surprised that so many Thaivisa members boast of being acquainted with the dregs of society wherever they go.

SC

And I dare not add my two penny worth. sad.png

• Like 1

Glad to see other people had similar concerns by that 'point' made... lol

Ok, here it goes:

I'm always surprised that so many Thaivisa members boast of being acquainted with the dregs of society wherever they go.

SC

You dont have experience with such people? If you say yes to that, im going to straight up call liar... :-D

You might think you dont deal with dregs... But you do.... If you dont notice it, its probably because your a dreg yourself.

• Like 1

Ok, here it goes:

SC

You dont have experience with such people? If you say yes to that, im going to straight up call liar... :-D

You might think you dont deal with dregs... But you do.... If you dont notice it, its probably because your a dreg yourself.

No. I have experience of people who fool themselves, but rarely of people trying to defraud me and certainly not my close acquaintances or colleagues.

Presumably you think I am part of the generously naive and tolerantly credulous sub-culture that haunts every society.

SC

But trust me when I say that I have NEVER met as many liars as in England. Not GB or UK, but England. I have found that people in England are prepared to tell lies if hit helps them in business and in any social situation if it helps them in any way. It's an observation based on lifelong experience, not an isolated event.

Where were you based in England? What was your job? How long were you there?

• Like 1

Ok, here it goes:

SC

No. I have experience of people who fool themselves, but rarely of people trying to defraud me and certainly not my close acquaintances or colleagues.

Presumably you think I am part of the generously naive and tolerantly credulous sub-culture that haunts every society.

SC

This is a very British trait. The British tend to accept anyone and everyone as equal regardless of which perceived socioeconomic group a person may hail from. Here in Thailand this may be down to ignorance of the language and societal structures and norms, but it's still a very British thing to do.

Thai friends have noticed this whilst living in the UK. A group of British friends down the pub from the unemployed to the very well off, from the poorly educated to Professor were all friends and treated each other as equals. This was an utter shock to the Thai's who thought all the more of British culture for it.

Next you're going to tell me you're an American . . . xph34r.png.pagespeed.ic.qnFdFQwiuO.webp

But trust me when I say that I have NEVER met as many liars as in England. Not GB or UK, but England. I have found that people in England are prepared to tell lies if hit helps them in business and in any social situation if it helps them in any way. It's an observation based on lifelong experience, not an isolated event.

Rich people, poor people; it's like a national disease that would make the bangkok tuk-tuk scammers look like a bunch of quire [sC: My bold] boys in comparison. To be clear, Thailand are light years behind England on the dishonesty-scale.

Can't even spell "queer" - why should we take him seriously?

Rich people, poor people; it's like a national disease that would make the bangkok tuk-tuk scammers look like a bunch of quire [sC: My bold] boys in comparison. To be clear, Thailand are light years behind England on the dishonesty-scale.

He wrote QUIRE BOYS.

Perhaps he meant ESQUIRE BOYS.

His contentions are very odd, btw. I wonder where he lived and what he experienced.

I have worked in more than 40 countries. I have lived on every continent. I speak 7 languages. I consider myself reasonably experienced in the art of judging people.

Some pollies can claim far greater numbers very often, yet have no idea about the general publics perception, nor do they have any idea about how 'average' folk live......

For all most here know, you could be a CEO, earning 500k USD minimum (before stock), and thus, your opinion is pretty worthless to the general TV user...

Given what you have said, I wouldn't be surprised if you are earning huge money, and living quite different to the average person... Lets face it, speaking 7 languages is a fuc_king amazing rare talent... one that you can earn huge money for... I just read an article about a girl in oz who speaks 4, earning 200k helping foreigners buy / plan / decorate houses... She simply acts as an interpretor and middle man. If she can do that, speaking 7, you must be doing some amazingly crazy stuff haha if not, im sure you have some very funny prank calls you can share tongue.png

You would do better by providing in sight into why your opinion should be treated as valid, rather then trying to harp on and impress people by the number of places you have lived and worked smile.png

As I said, I dont claim that my opinion should be taken for anything but exactly that - an opinion. So in terms of your question: it doesn't prove anything, of course. It was an opinion based on the many observations I've done over the years.

In my opinion, working and living in different parts of the world, being able to communicate with people on their language, makes it easier to comment on the distribution and frequency of liars per nation. At least that's my conclusion.

And I'm not talking about scammers in general, I'm talking about the average Joe who has a traffic accident while speaking on the phone or something trivial as lying when they're caught jumping a queue somewhere.

And my language skills are not that unique, half of Europe probably speaks 4 languages.

Given what you have said, I wouldn't be surprised if you are earning huge money, and living quite different to the average person... Lets face it, speaking 7 languages is a fuc_king amazing rare talent... one that you can earn huge money for... I just read an article about a girl in oz who speaks 4, earning 200k helping foreigners buy / plan / decorate houses... She simply acts as an interpretor and middle man. If she can do that, speaking 7, you must be doing some amazingly crazy stuff haha if not, im sure you have some very funny prank calls you can share tongue.png

As I said, I dont claim that my opinion should be taken for anything but exactly that - an opinion. So in terms of your question: it doesn't prove anything, of course. It was an opinion based on the many observations I've done over the years.

In my opinion, working and living in different parts of the world, being able to communicate with people on their language, makes it easier to comment on the distribution and frequency of liars per nation. At least that's my conclusion.

And I'm not talking about scammers in general, I'm talking about the average Joe who has a traffic accident while speaking on the phone or something trivial as lying when they're caught jumping a queue somewhere.

And my language skills are not that unique, half of Europe probably speaks 4 languages.

Half of Europe? Perhaps if you consider those who can speak a word or two of other languages...

Your posted indicated (I felt.. might be wrong) fluency, which is NOT standard in Europe.... Not at all... If you simply mean you can say a few words, maybe hold a somewhat general convo in 4 languages, thats quite different to what I took from your earlier post... I have also meet some Spanish people who believe they speak Portuguese due to how close the languages are... Perhaps you meant that??

Id suggest you dont tell people you speak 7 languages if thats the case... I think most people that hear that will assume you mean you are fluent, and the average European is simply not fluent in more then 1 language... Let alone 4 lol

I feel I could confidently pass any Japanese Exam right now... Does this make me fluent in Japanese? Not at all! It simply means I read, and memorized the correct information.... General conversations can still stump me due to the cultrual language changes which are common amongst Japanese people, but are not worried about when it comes to private classes...

We obviously have different opinions on what qualifies a person been able to say they speak another language... I may simply have a higher standard then you :)

He wrote QUIRE BOYS.

Perhaps he meant ESQUIRE BOYS.

His contentions are very odd, btw. I wonder where he lived and what he experienced.

I don't see anything odd in this, though I appreciate that this may upset some. But that doesn't alter the fact that my observation is that English are more prone to lie for no reason at all. I dont know why this is, so dont ask me to explain. I have several friends and colleagues who's made the exact same observation.

Honesty might not be a thing of the past, but sympathy for the Victim certainly is. More than half of the Posts on here,quite cheerfully advocate having no compassion for fellow Ex pats, times like this I can understand why some Ex pats become reclusive in the Villages!

• Like 1

We obviously have different opinions on what qualifies a person been able to say they speak another language... I may simply have a higher standard then you smile.png

I have no clue how you came to that conclusion.

My standard is proficiency. I speak 3 languages natively. Given my occupation I'd say my standard is more likely to be higher than yours - or at least my clients standards and requirements. But I can be wrong, of course.

I fail to recognise the relevancy here, to be honest.

Ok, here it goes:

. I must admit that I have had two occasions to agree with this post both times it was by Brits one of them was habitual; i do not think he knew the meaning of "truth" and the other was just a <deleted> who lived too long on the dole he felt entitled and superior.

Ok, here it goes:

What kind of work are you talking about?i have worked with guys in the offshore and maritime sector from the UK,Denmark,Norway,Russia,fillipinos etc...

And all of them where profesionals in there field of work .

Ok, here it goes:

What kind of work are you talking about?i have worked with guys in the offshore and maritime sector from the UK,Denmark,Norway,Russia,fillipinos etc...

And all of them where profesionals in there field of work .

Pardon me if I made it look as if the perceived level of dishonesty was linked to a particular workplace. That was not my intention at all.

Typically, people appear to lie when they've been caught doing something wrong. It doesn't necessarily have to be something illegal; morally questionable wrongdoings seems to be enough to get the lies going. Another observation is that people tend to be less truthful in situations where they receive criticism. They use lies as a means to "get even" and protect the self-made illusion that they are superior and faultless. At times, more or less the same type of behaviour observed here on TV. Again, this is only an opinion, I can be wrong.

NPD?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Edited by Forethat