cash withdrawal limits at ATM's

As far as I know it's not the withdrawal bank, it's the daily limit set by the issuing bank. If they let you withdraw that amount then any ATM here would work. For example, my limit per day with HSBC was £300 (15,000bt ish) I rang them and had it increased and can now withdraw 3 times that in one go. Hope this makes sense and helps.

As far as I know it's not the withdrawal bank, it's the daily limit set by the issuing bank. If they let you withdraw that amount then any ATM here would work. For example, my limit per day with HSBC was £300 (15,000bt ish) I rang them and had it increased and can now withdraw 3 times that in one go. Hope this makes sense and helps.

wrong . . did you withdraw 45,000 BHT in one go ???? LET ME KNOW WHERE !! Or did you pull three times 15,000 and have to pay 3 times the 150 BHT fee. On a yellow Khrungthai you can pull 30,000 at ONE go . . saves you 150 BHT . . a lunch . . . wai.gif

I guess the OP asks for the ATM 's maximum withdrawal at a ONE time PULL, although he does not state this

Edited by crazygreg44

Don't use an ATM. Go inside the bank. You'll get a much better exchange rate and avoid the ATM fee, plus your own banks fee. I haven't done it in a while, but pretty sure there was no fee.

Better still, open a Thai bank account and have your money TT'd over. Cost approx. AUD20 and no ATM fees from then on, plus a better rate.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I did state "per transaction" in the OP, meaning one pull and one fee ;)
I'll see what Krungthai and UOB can do this week and report back.

Don't use an ATM. Go inside the bank. You'll get a much better exchange rate and avoid the ATM fee, plus your own banks fee. I haven't done it in a while, but pretty sure there was no fee.

Better still, open a Thai bank account and have your money TT'd over. Cost approx. AUD20 and no ATM fees from then on, plus a better rate.

I will ask about that, but last time I used my visa credit card across the counter it was a lot of hassle and cost pretty much the same. Did I do it wrong or use the wrong bank ? ;)

Machines can only dispense 20 bills in one go.if you need 40k, you need to do two transactions

Wrong.. As stated above certain banks allow 30.

Actually, I think he is correct. There may be some machines that will do 30 (I assume these are new) by and large most machines will only do 20 bills, regardless of denomination.

The account holder's bank limits the max per-day withdrawal.

Machines can only dispense 20 bills in one go.if you need 40k, you need to do two transactions

Actually, I think he is correct. There may be some machines that will do 30 (I assume these are new) by and large most machines will only do 20 bills, regardless of denomination.

The OP's question is about the limit of the amount for ONE transaction on an ATM, not about the limit the bank gives him on his Bank card or credit card.

And before there are posters again, who claim the ATM limit is 20,000 per transaction on any ATM, let's agree on the fact that there are numerous ATM's of certain Thai Banks, which are spitting out 30,000 BAHT per transaction. And not just since yesterday, but for quite many years !!!

Having agreed on a fair limit with your bank helps, regardless if you use their ATM's or those of other banks. But this has absolutely nothing to do with the ATM's transaction limit. Thai ATM's allow you to pull cash as long as the amount you agreed as daily limit with your bank is not exceeded.

Everything else on this topic is regarded as messing with the truth. Those who have shadowy or drizzled knowledge, I ask you, don't post. bah.gif

Citibank ATMs allow up to THB 50.000 in one go. At least it was at the ATM in central world like this last year.

That would be handy for one fee of 150 baht ;)

Unfortunately there's not many citibank ATM's out in the sticks.

The OP's question is about the limit of the amount for ONE transaction on an ATM, not about the limit the bank gives him on his Bank card or credit card.

And before there are posters again, who claim the ATM limit is 20,000 per transaction on any ATM, let's agree on the fact that there are numerous ATM's of certain Thai Banks, which are spitting out 30,000 BAHT per transaction. And not just since yesterday, but for quite many years !!!

Having agreed on a fair limit with your bank helps, regardless if you use their ATM's or those of other banks. But this has absolutely nothing to do with the ATM's transaction limit. Thai ATM's allow you to pull cash as long as the amount you agreed as daily limit with your bank is not exceeded.

Everything else on this topic is regarded as messing with the truth. Those who have shadowy or drizzled knowledge, I ask you, don't post. bah.gif

I appreciate all the comments - even the guesses ;) But as you say the question is about the maximum amount dispensed by an ATM per transaction/pull - thereby incurring only one fee. I know my card limits - I set them ;)

Looks like Krungthai and UOB are worth a try. I'd try citibank too if there was one around here, but I think they are only in city centres.

fwiw - I will test it to the point of of entering the amount and then cancel the transaction when I see the limit allowed. Hopefully the machine will not munch my card !! w00t.gif

Thanks for all the replies. I did state "per transaction" in the OP, meaning one pull and one fee wink.png

I will ask about that, but last time I used my visa credit card across the counter it was a lot of hassle and cost pretty much the same. Did I do it wrong or use the wrong bank ? wink.png

I've used Kasikorn in Pattaya Central Plaza a number of times. Just have your passport. Took about 10 minutes and was no drama. I think they called my NZ bank, so maybe do it during your home country business hours.

By the way, I know a couple of chaps that have had their foreign cards gobbled by an ATM, never to be seen again. My advice is always use an ATM at a bank during opening hours - at least you have a chance to talk to the staff and get it back. If it's a 7/11, start whistling Dixie.

I have seen Aoen ATM that give up to 30 bills and others that limt to 20. Must depend on the location and type of ATM in use. Central plaza can do 30 but the Lotus Extra only 20 both are Aoen.

PS over the counter the exchange rate is the same as set from day before rate and the fee for over the counter rather then an ATM is often higher - I know Bank of America cost more to use the ATM card over the counter then the ATM but the forieng trasaction fee and rate of exchange are the same.

Edited by RKASA

Thanks for all the replies. I did state "per transaction" in the OP, meaning one pull and one fee wink.png

I will ask about that, but last time I used my visa credit card across the counter it was a lot of hassle and cost pretty much the same. Did I do it wrong or use the wrong bank ? wink.png

I've used Kasikorn in Pattaya Central Plaza a number of times. Just have your passport. Took about 10 minutes and was no drama. I think they called my NZ bank, so maybe do it during your home country business hours.

By the way, I know a couple of chaps that have had their foreign cards gobbled by an ATM, never to be seen again. My advice is always use an ATM at a bank during opening hours - at least you have a chance to talk to the staff and get it back. If it's a 7/11, start whistling Dixie.

Maybe Pattaya banks are more accustomed to dealing with farangs. I remember it being quite a pantomime to get cash from my card across the counter out in the sticks, and they stuck me with various unintelligible fees.

I do use ATM in banks during opening hours only. I've been through the hassle of a munched card and it isn't pretty. ;)

I wish what you say is true, my UK bank does not allow me to go inside and draw money from my account. They told me I must use an ATM and I have to pay 3.75% of any money I take out.

• Like 1

Maybe Pattaya banks are more accustomed to dealing with farangs. I remember it being quite a pantomime to get cash from my card across the counter out in the sticks, and they stuck me with various unintelligible fees.

I do use ATM in banks during opening hours only. I've been through the hassle of a munched card and it isn't pretty. wink.png

If a local bank a munched card its little hassle - Just a matter of cancelling the card over the phone, then going into any branch and getting a new card. Getting an International Card re-issued with any speed must be a headache. I did get an emergency Credit card issued within 24 hrs once (following fraudulence use and cancellation).

IMO: The best option for those who can get a local bank account in Thailand is to get two. 1 Account to accommodate a larger incoming transfer from overseas so that there is only 1 trx fee (with no ATM / Debit card). Link the 1st account online to a 2nd account which has an associated ATM / Debit card, regular, top up as necessary from the main account as you spend.

Both accounts can be set up to be controlled by OLB through your phone if you need that versatility.

If someone is in Thailand for any duration longer than a holiday the only reason not to have a local bank is if they can't (i.e. no Work Permit), but many posters have pointed out that this regulation is somewhat flexible with some banks at some branches (on a trial and error basis).

With regards to limits on transactions: SCB have 20,000 baht per ATM transaction (20 notes), the daily limit can be set up to 200,000 baht if so required.

Edited by richard_smith237

I do use ATM in banks during opening hours only. I've been through the hassle of a munched card and it isn't pretty. wink.png

If a local bank a munched card its little hassle - Just a matter of cancelling the card over the phone, then going into any branch and getting a new card. Getting an International Card re-issued with any speed must be a headache. I did get an emergency Credit card issued within 24 hrs once (following fraudulence use and cancellation).

IMO: The best option for those who can get a local bank account in Thailand is to get two. 1 Account to accommodate a larger incoming transfer from overseas so that there is only 1 trx fee (with no ATM / Debit card). Link the 1st account online to a 2nd account which has an associated ATM / Debit card, regular, top up as necessary from the main account as you spend.

Both accounts can be set up to be controlled by OLB through your phone if you need that versatility.

If someone is in Thailand for any duration longer than a holiday the only reason not to have a local bank is if they can't (i.e. no Work Permit), but many posters have pointed out that this regulation is somewhat flexible with some banks at some branches (on a trial and error basis).

With regards to limits on transactions: SCB have 20,000 baht per ATM transaction (20 notes), the daily limit can be set up to 200,000 baht if so required.

I have the 2 account system set up in my card issuing bank, and I have no interest in "playing monopoly" with Thai banks and their vague rules and fees. To pull a monthly amount through my visa card is all that is needed. At the moment it takes 2 or 3 ATM transactions per month, and I would like to reduce that to 1 or 2 smile.png

Not true. I have taken 25 on certain occasions.

"... certain occasions" isn't very helpful I'm afraid. Which bank's ATMs were you using ?

More to the point, why would you want to use a Visa CREDIT card to withdraw cash from an ATM? You start paying interest on it immediately and the cash interest rate for a Visa card is even higher than the purchasing rate, so you'd generally be paying well over 20% interest on that cash withdrawal until you pay off your credit card balance. A debit card is the best way to do it. I know in Bangkok you can just go to the money changing desk at Bangkok Bank and give them your debit card and passport and you can withdraw up to the amount available in your account. I took over 50,000 several times and it only takes 2 minutes.

Edited by FalangBaa

More to the point, why would you want to use a Visa CREDIT card to withdraw cash from an ATM? You start paying interest on it immediately and the cash interest rate for a Visa card is even higher than the purchasing rate, so you'd generally be paying well over 20% interest on that cash withdrawal until you pay off your credit card balance. A debit card is the best way to do it. I know in Bangkok you can just go to the money changing desk at Bangkok Bank and give them your debit card and passport and you can withdraw up to the amount available in your account. I took over 50,000 several times and it only takes 2 minutes.

I appreciate you concern, but after travelling the world for the last 30 years I have set up a simple and effective system with my bank to cover all my needs economically. All I needed to know was which bank ATM's have a limit per transaction of more than 20,000 Baht, which is the maximum I have encountered. I didn't get to Krungthai today, but I'll try tomorrow. There's no UOB anywhere near me so that'll have to wait till another day, and citibank is even less likely to be within my area. sad.png

Edited by jpinx

the yellow ATM's ( Khrungthai Bank) allow 30,000 BHT at one time withdrawal, and if your card limit allows, up to four times = 120,000 BHT

yellow ATM's are the Bank of Ayudhya

Krungthai bank are light blue.

which is it ? ;)

Cash machines can dispense 25,000 baht at a time if your card allows this. (25x 1000THB). I have never heard or been given an option to withdraw more. The reason why most cards cannot withdraw more is because 25,000THB is approximately £500 which is the highest amount UK cards can withdraw at anyone time, usually per day. I have never come across a cash card that allows you withdraw more than £500 per day from a machine. They cap the amount in case your card is compromised and the the pin number is known.

Ask yourself, what have you ever heard of anyone taking out £1000 from a cash machine or 50,000THB from a machine, because I haven't and anyone who has must have an offshore card.