Trains to Chiang Mai stopped from today, 16 Sep

webfact

Trains to Chiang Mai stopped from today
By English News

13793093524092.jpg

UTTARADIT, Sept 16 – Thailand’s North-bound train services have been suspended for 45 days, starting today, and passengers must disembark at Sila-at station in this northern province to continue their northward journey by bus.

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) is providing six buses to take passengers to their destinations during the repair of the 300km of track between Sila-at and Chiang Mai stations.

About 20 railway police officers are assigned to Sila-at station to facilitate passengers and their belongings, and be on alert for possible goods smuggling.

Train services for short routes from Sila-at to nearby stations in Phitsanulok, Pichit and Nakhon Sawan are operating as usual. There are nine trains daily between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Somkid Leeloy, Chiang Mai stationmaster, said passengers with advance tickets were asked to get their refunds while those still wanting to travel on train would be transported by buses from Chiang Mai to Uttaradit.

The track repair was inevitable after the SRT experienced 23 accidents on the northern route since January due to deteriorated sleepers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-16

Northern rail track repairing commences today

LAMPANG, 16 Sep 2013 (NNT) – The State Railway of Thailand starts repairing the northern rail tracks today, with a schedule to complete the works within 45 days.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt revealed that the repairing would begin from Sila Art Station in Muang District, Uttaradit Province, and finish at the Chiang Mai station.

Posters have been put up in front of the Sila Art Station explaining the reason for the service suspension.

The Transport Minister said that all of the trains running on the route have been cancelled. Refunds will be awarded in full amount to passengers who have bought the tickets for the trains with destination in Chiang Mai.

Mr. Chadchart reaffirmed that the closure of the rail tracks is necessary for a full-scale repairing operation. He also said that the approach is better than conducting repairing and running the trains at the same time.

He also mentioned about the construction of the 2,900-kilometer-long dual rail tracks nationwide, saying that the project will go ahead as planned. Mr. Chadchart pointed out that one of its obvious benefits is that trains will have a back up tracks in case of an emergency.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-16 footer_n.gif

Good, and the service will be missed, you can have a great party on the train!! drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

You can, but lately a little too much rockin' and rollin' , took the train from Chumpon to Bkk a couple weeks ago, some of the jolts and swaying were extreme, gotten much worse lately, hopefully they will align that route before it derails.....probably not.

Took the train to Chiang Mai once, 16 hours.sad.png

Now I understand why there was only Falang on the train.

Took the bus back..

I made the mistake of taking a day train, as I wanted to see the countryside.

The first thing EVERY Thai on the train did was close the curtains.

So much for seeing the countryside.

Never again.

I flew back.

• Like 1

Took the bus back..

You obviously didn't take train #1, the Chiang Mai special express. Usually carries dozens of farangs and other assorted "undesirables".

Its sister train #2 southbound is virtually the same.

The slower Bkk - CM trains are mostly Thai passengers with a few adventurous aliens enjoying the sliced mango and tinned beer.

Edited by ratcatcher

Am I the only one here who thinks the sleeper train is the best way to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai? You get in, maybe grab a beer or a bite to eat, or you read you book, an hour into the ride your bed in made. You watch a movie on your laptop and pass out. Repeat a couple hours in the mornig, and you arive well rested. People preffer a bus? Even when I pay for greenline, nomatter how nice the bus, still doesn't beat a bed for the night.

+1

Am I the only one here who thinks the sleeper train is the best way to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai? You get in, maybe grab a beer or a bite to eat, or you read you book, an hour into the ride your bed in made. You watch a movie on your laptop and pass out. Repeat a couple hours in the mornig, and you arive well rested. People preffer a bus? Even when I pay for greenline, nomatter how nice the bus, still doesn't beat a bed for the night.

My attitude was the same until the service became unreliable, then dangerous, too many delays and late late arrivals.... also the track condition makes for a very rough ride. I still ride the sleeper train south of Bkk but that too is having frequent delays. The "official" travel time Bkk To CM is listed as 12 hours.

Obviously, those that ridicule coaches have never used Nakonchai Air. Excellent standard of bus with seats that go into beds (135 degrees, same as most airline busines class)! 2 drivers, hostess, meal, drink, snacks. Only 10 hours through the night and 750baht from Pattaya.

• Like 1

I am an old sentiment ...I like the trains and Ilike it slow when the schedules permit

Have taken trains in Vietnam and Thailand and the sights while reading or listening to music is great ..people who wish to do the same can research on seat61.com ...it's the best website for people who love train rides for information all over the world

As for people closing the curtains on a day train ...do what we farangs do ...open it back sit next to it and sing an English time

The nice people will smile at you and ignore you ...as you are a foreigner ...one of the bliss of pretending you don't understand the language

• Like 1

I also love it. I've tried VIP bus but I prefer lower bed second class at night. You have lot of space and you can see sunset and sunrise because the window is only for you. My only complain is the aircon at maximum level but once you learned that you travel with better clothes. Upper bed is not so good.

Edited by nadison

Took the bus back..

I made the mistake of taking a day train, as I wanted to see the countryside.

The first thing EVERY Thai on the train did was close the curtains.

So much for seeing the countryside.

Never again.

I flew back.

Did you have a window seat? If so, why did you let anyone close the curtains when you wanted to see out?

That's the Rapid, which means slow. The Diesel and Special Express are around 12hrs. Anything beats the bus, even if you're not entirely sure the thing won't come off the rails. whistling.gif

The train is not so bad if there's not many people in your carriage. I would recommend leaving late at night from Bangkok, then you are able to sleep, and in the morning everyone will open the curtains so you can see the nice countryside. Some of the food the women walking down the train sells is quite nice. You may derail and die on the suicide bridge though, so there's that.

About 20 railway police officers are assigned to Sila-at station to facilitate passengers and their belongings, and be on alert for possible goods smuggling.

What goods are they smuggling from BKK to Chaing Mai........................????...Or to put in in better context-- What goods do they have in BKK that they are not allowed to have in Chaing Mai...??

Maaate, you are not on your own, I love train travel and night sleepers are the best as long as beer naam kang not too dear. LOL

All the while the Laotians work on a high speed link from China through Laos into Thailand. There is a message somewhere, if one of the few countries left on the planet without train grid (like Lao PDR) jumpstarts into the 21st century.
Wonder with what kind of excuses the SRT will come up why the job is not finished. Must be one of the most corrupt government agencies for they run the same old junk yard of equipment as almost 30 years ago when I arrived in Thailand.
We will see ..........

No, you are not the only one. Last year, I took the overnight train Bangkok to Chiang Mai, 2nd Class sleeper. Worked out well for me. Slept most of the trip. If you are a light sleeper, bring along a couple of sleeping pills. Or some JD, if you prefer! Yes, we were about two and a half hours late getting into Chiang Mai but I took the attitude "So what! I'm retired."

Going back down to Bangkok this spring, I reserved one of the first-class cabins. The restaurant car was the location for a boisterous but fun party! burp.gif After I left the party, went back to the cabin and slept a few hours. Then the train rolled into Bangkok right on time. And then took the MRT right to my hotel.

Edited by Baloo22