Thai Army Chief Prayuth urges all sides to learn from 2006 coup

webfact

Prayuth urges all sides to learn from 2006 coup

BANGKOK, 16 September 2013 (NNT) – Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha has urged all sides to learn from the 19 September 2006 coup d’tat, while ordering all soldiers not to get involved in politics.

Speaking ahead of the anniversary of the 2006 coup d’tat, which falls on September 19th, General Prayuth said all circumstances could change at any time and everyone should do what was right and stop those actions that would hurt others and the nation as a whole. He said there was no need for the history to repeat itself as lessons learnt from the 2006 coup should be remembered.

If political conflicts continue and things get out of hand, people will end up suffering, said Prayuth, adding that he has urged all military officers not to get involved in politics and to stick to their duty, which is to protect the people and the country.

As for the peace dialogue between the Thai government and the BRN insurgent group, The Army Chief said he had already looked into the 5 demands made by the BRN, adding that the militant group could not simply make one-sided demands, and that the Thai government had to hold its stance and control the direction of the talks.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-16 footer_n.gif

The General has ordered all soldiers not to get involved in politics, I presume he's not serious but most definitely hypocritical.

For the more senior soldiers involvement in politics or cultivating a politician can be good for plum postings, more promotions, attachments to various departments and setting up a comfortable sinecure for retirement.

The miltary will always get involved in politics to ensure these pesky politicians don't actually make them genuinely subordinate to a civilian government

It is amazing how people in position of responsibility apparently can so easily take hypocritical positions in Thailand.

Where was he in 2006? Did he openly disagree with what his superiors were doing at the time, which if so, is treasonous, or was he in oppostion to their actions which would be refusing an order.

I swear that fact that Thais can talk about themselves in the plural or the royal "We", or as "one" shows they treat things like this almost as an out of body experience. I was there, but "we or one" wasn't really there.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I agree that the military shouldn't be involved in politics, but then the same thing could be said for most Thai politicians who are not truly politicians in any positive sense regarding the development of the country of Thailand.

Hub of lack of political progress and social development.

• Like 2

The 2006 Military Coup was a huge error of judgement .

Although intended to end Thaksin's rule and government , it has in fact assured Thaksin's continued government even from exile .

In a country so universally corrupt as Thailand , it is a question of which corruption do the people prefer .

The reason that Thailand enjoyed stability and economic prosperity under the military government , was because they did nothing to interupt what Thaksin's government had already set up .

If the reds have learnt anything, it is probably that in the long run, it is better to fight up front.

Thus, I think he would be better to hope that everyone completely forgets the 2006 coup when considering what to do should there be another one. I for one, don't want to be around if the reds shoot at some army in say Chiangmai or Udon. But this time around they probably will.

I take out of that the warning is to any Army senior officers getting Seh Dueang ideas.

I do not believe that the Army is Yingluck's friend no matter how close she thinks she has snuggled up to them. The Queens Brigade where the control of the Army is bestowed is loyal first most to the Royal family. Yingluck will be tolerated. If she wants to be able to command the Army then kick her scum of a brothers ass to the side and take Thailand to a path of democracy and she will eventually get that right.

The warning is there from the good general's perspective as of his predecessor during 2006 that he and the Army's Queens Brigade will put Thailand and the thai people first before any of the mafia family rabble that politically misgovern Thailand.

While another coup would not be in Thailand's interest, nor would hijacking the pathetic excuse that is called democracy away to a populist dictatorship be in its interest. And to that end if the peoples court convicted fugitive criminal's band of thieves intend to take Thailand's governance down that path and specifically over ride the peoples courts then the Army thankfully will step in again. And last time I looked Thailand was a constitution monarchy not a democarcy so the Army has every right.

Edited by Roadman

Army should have no voice at all, in any country. Your only duty should be following orders by the elected government at any given moment and from no one else, if you know what I mean.

Learning from a coup, what a %@ joke....

No, you should learn a bit history......the army has to stay with the people and country and not with politicians. For example a lot of the army in Germany knew that Hitler is crazy and it is wrong, but they did their duty.

Shooting him and make a coup would be the better thing to do for millions of people and people like you would have been whining that this democratic elected leader was removed by an illegal coup.

And you can find a hundred other examples in history.

(Beside the fact that in the 2006 coup, there was no elected government).

Army should have no voice at all, in any country. Your only duty should be following orders by the elected government at any given moment and from no one else, if you know what I mean.

Learning from a coup, what a %@ joke....

No, you should learn a bit history......the army has to stay with the people and country and not with politicians. For example a lot of the army in Germany knew that Hitler is crazy and it is wrong, but they did their duty.

Shooting him and make a coup would be the better thing to do for millions of people and people like you would have been whining that this democratic elected leader was removed by an illegal coup.

And you can find a hundred other examples in history.

(Beside the fact that in the 2006 coup, there was no elected government).

I think it is you that needs to learn and reflect on history.The junker element in the German army officer corps primarily wished to assasinate Hitler because of his policies were losing the war with the successes of 1940/41 long past.An early Hitler death, say in 1939, would almost certainly have strengthened the Nazi regime because it would have become more moderate, probably under Goering.The foolhardy invasion of Russia would not have taken place and Germany would have kept invaded territories like the Sudetenland, Austria etc.The comparison of Thaksin with Hitler is ludicrous (except in the minds of crazed PAD types) but hypothetically his removal from the scene would not have addressed Thailand's structural and social divisions which Thaksin exploited for his political ends.Indeeed the 2006 coup may well have had the effect of strengthening the Thaksinite forces.It certainly didn't have the effect intended and indeed tragically had the effect of weakening the institutions it ostensibly claimed to be protecting.All of this, both in Germany and Thailand, is the impact of confusing symptoms and causes.

• Like 1

I think it is you that needs to learn and reflect on history.The junker element in the German army officer corps primarily wished to assasinate Hitler because of his policies were losing the war with the successes of 1940/41 long past.An early Hitler death, say in 1939, would almost certainly have strengthened the Nazi regime because it would have become more moderate, probably under Goering.The foolhardy invasion of Russia would not have taken place and Germany would have kept invaded territories like the Sudetenland, Austria etc.The comparison of Thaksin with Hitler is ludicrous (except in the minds of crazed PAD types) but hypothetically his removal from the scene would not have addressed Thailand's structural and social divisions which Thaksin exploited for his political ends.Indeeed the 2006 coup may well have had the effect of strengthening the Thaksinite forces.It certainly didn't have the effect intended and indeed tragically had the effect of weakening the institutions it ostensibly claimed to be protecting.All of this, both in Germany and Thailand, is the impact of confusing symptoms and causes.

"comparison of Thaksin with Hitler is ludicrous"

This is the first time I have ever agreed with something you wrote. Hitler's actions were borne about by his being an idealist, he wanted the Aryan race to increase in strength and sincerely believed he was doing a good thing. Thaksin on the other hand's disgraceful behavior was only to increase his and his families wealth, face and power at any cost and knows full well that his actions spell disaster for Thailand. Thaksin is far more inherantly evil than Hitler IMO.

• Like 1

Machiavelli could teach the Thai army a few things about coups, coups are about seizing power and its rewards, not about democracy.

Niccolò Machiavelli “Never do an enemy a small injury.” If one is striking out at an opponent, one should make sure that the fatal blow is struck, successfully ending the confrontation.

Funny thing is the 2006 coup and military rule that followed became one of the best economic and troublefree periods of Thailand.

The problem was that the coup makers while interested in the welfare of Thailand failed to remove the problem. They in a democratic election turned the government over to his flunkies with a total of no gain. Ultametly a major return to cronyism and in your face corruption.

The 2006 Military Coup was a huge error of judgement . Although intended to end Thaksin's rule and government , it has in fact assured Thaksin's continued government even from exile . In a country so universally corrupt as Thailand , it is a question of which corruption do the people prefer . The reason that Thailand enjoyed stability and economic prosperity under the military government , was because they did nothing to interupt what Thaksin's government had already set up .

That reminds me, I must wind up the cuckoo clock and put the garbage out. whistling.gif

This is the first time I have ever agreed with something you wrote. Hitler's actions were borne about by his being an idealist, he wanted the Aryan race to increase in strength and sincerely believed he was doing a good thing. Thaksin on the other hand's disgraceful behavior was only to increase his and his families wealth, face and power at any cost and knows full well that his actions spell disaster for Thailand. Thaksin is far more inherantly evil than Hitler IMO.

Good post, especially the bit about how evil Thaksin is.

Actually I believe what has happened to Thaksin since the 2006 coup all adds up to him being the ultimate in fails, and the biggest loser of face in recent memory. Having the guts to come back and face the music may have been the best option for him, but you would need at least a little bit of heart to do that. Could not have happened to a better despot. clap2.gif

Apart from the sheer stupidity of the proposition (ie Thaksin is more evil than Hitler) and the low level of historical education it betrays, there is an additional bizarre twist to the quoted post, namely that Hitler's crimes were mitigated because of his belief he was committing them for the good of the Aryan race.

That is an insult to millions who died at the hands of Hitler's men. Probably baiting. You may be proud of how blinded your hatred of Thaksin has made you, but to most normal people who have to read your claptrap you're just becoming a caricature of yourself. JaiDam indeed. Have you no objectivity left at all?

Apart from the sheer stupidity of the proposition (ie Thaksin is more evil than Hitler) and the low level of historical education it betrays, there is an additional bizarre twist to the quoted post, namely that Hitler's crimes were mitigated because of his belief he was committing them for the good of the Aryan race.

Your reading and comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired, the dons would be disappointed. I did not speak about mitigation of anybodys crimes, but spoke of the degree of inherent evilness which made the 2006 coup necessary. Let's consider which mass murderer, after a killing spree, made a sick joke blaming the victims for their own deaths because they hadn't eaten that day? Which one lashed out and had thousands of innocents killed after finding somebody close to him dusting his nose?

You will find that after careful consideration of the crimes of the beforementioned beasts, most serious observers would agree with me that because of the motive of face, power and money rather than misled ideological motives, one is significantly more evil than the other. Rather than simply accuse me of stupidity because you have an emotional attachment to one of them, you could try arguing your case. Love is a beautiful thing I agree, but it tends to warp the thought processes.

Your reading and comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired, the dons would be disappointed. I did not speak about mitigation of anybodys crimes, but spoke of the degree of inherent evilness which made the 2006 coup necessary. Let's consider which mass murderer, after a killing spree, made a sick joke blaming the victims for their own deaths because they hadn't eaten that day? Which one lashed out and had thousands of innocents killed after finding somebody close to him dusting his nose?

You will find that after careful consideration of the crimes of the beforementioned beasts, most serious observers would agree with me that because of the motive of face, power and money rather than misled ideological motives, one is significantly more evil than the other. Rather than simply accuse me of stupidity because you have an emotional attachment to one of them, you could try arguing your case. Love is a beautiful thing I agree, but it tends to warp the thought processes.

Generally it is a useful rule of thumb that when you have made a complete idiot of yourself, in your case suggesting Thaksin is more "evil" than Hitler, it is best to exit with tail between legs rather - as again in your case (mixing metaphors) - digging yourself into a deeper hole.

As a further polite suggestion if you wish to retract your earlier expressed crass opinion that Hitler was preferable to Thaksin because the former was acting for the good of the Aryan people rather than for personal aggrandisement, then do so.In your latest post you simply compound your folly with the suggestion that Thaksin was somehow the worse mass murdererer.Frankly it's just ill educated bar talk but no doubt there is an audience out there for this kind of gross stupidity - but count me out.