Anyone know if the VFW in Pattaya still assists US Vets?

TheWizardofRnR

I had just moved to Naklua and saw the ad in the local Pattaya newspaper, Pattaya Mail I think. The VFW said they'd help Vets applying for benefits in filing claims for them. The ad says nothing about having to be a member or having to join the VFW to get them to help.

I recently ,well 2 1/2 months ago, wrote them a letter asking for their assistance ,explaining my situation and waited. After a month , not a word. So , I figured maybe it got lost or accidentally deleted , ahem!

After the month ,I wrote again . Still not a word , not even a mention if they even received the email , I requested to at least be replied to of its reciept. Nothin'!

I just heard from the Social Security offices in Manila turning me down for disability,they said my records show I had to file before 1991. well I was disabled way back then but not so badly , but 22 years later and my Arthritis and peripheral neuropathy has gotten the better of me,I can only type with 1 finger and it hurts later.

When I got here in July things got worse and I had a Shingles attack that still is causing Postherpetic neuralgia ,it really is a pain ! no pun intended!

Plus, it was misdiagnosed by 2 doctors at 2 different hospitals, both called it Herpes referring to Simplex that is not the same as Zoster which is not sexually related but caused by chix pox's revenge.

But if anyone out there has any knowledge of the VFW here and can give me any advise or help contacting whoever could help applying for veterans benefits, be much appreciated.

Edited by Rimmer
Font size

Here is the Post website

http://www.vfwpost9876.com/

They surely can help you. You do not need to be a member but if you qualify why not? Good people there. Look at the site there are names and numbers there as well as the location in south Pattaya of the Post. Easy to find just off Suk.

Send an email or call them

Here is the Post website

http://www.vfwpost9876.com/

They surely can help you. You do not need to be a member but if you qualify why not? Good people there. Look at the site there are names and numbers there as well as the location in south Pattaya of the Post. Easy to find just off Suk.

Send an email or call them

I already went to the site , i guess you missed reading my post ,I have emailed it twice...just feel strange calling people I haven't met as yet ,especially when they don't answer my emails twice. Just was hoping that someone from the VFW-Post might read this and contact me, I'm just puzzled why no replies. I already feel embarrassed by having to ask for help. After living here for 26 years , I just have no other option since Soc.security in Manila says my disability recourse ended in 1991. Thx for your info though! BB

Juts go ahead & call the numbers on the site, dont worry about not knowing anyone, whats the worse that can happen they will say they cant help or they say they can.What do you got to loose? Failing with the map is pretty easy to follow. Once you turn of Sukimvit at the Suzuki dealer it is about 60m down the Soi on the right hand side. The Hogs Breath Saloon is the name of the bar , I hink the sign is still up outside not sure but easy to find.

True Shingles is not a STD.

But....

Nowadays shingles is very common in people with HIV infection and Aids, and it is even often seen in young people. Shingles is often one of the first symptoms of HIV infection. Shingles affects nerve cells, and it is characterised by an extremely painful skin rash or tiny blisters on the face, limbs or body. It can also affect the eyes, causing pain and blurred vision. Shingles can be very severe in people with depressed immune systems.

ref: http://m.news24.com/health24/Medical/HIV-AIDS/Symptoms-and-diseases-associated/Symptoms-and-phases-of-HIV-infection-Aids-20120721

Have you been tested for HIV?

I'm not sure what kind of benifits you're trying to claim.

There are no Medicare or VA treatment facilities in Thailand.

Since you have been turned down by Social Security in Manila, I'd think it would be difficult to contest in Thailand.

You'd probably have to go back the US were a VA facility (assuming you have veterans benefits) could help.

True Shingles is not a STD.

But....

Nowadays shingles is very common in people with HIV infection and Aids, and it is even often seen in young people. Shingles is often one of the first symptoms of HIV infection. Shingles affects nerve cells, and it is characterised by an extremely painful skin rash or tiny blisters on the face, limbs or body. It can also affect the eyes, causing pain and blurred vision. Shingles can be very severe in people with depressed immune systems.

ref: http://m.news24.com/health24/Medical/HIV-AIDS/Symptoms-and-diseases-associated/Symptoms-and-phases-of-HIV-infection-Aids-20120721

Have you been tested for HIV?

I'm not sure what kind of benifits you're trying to claim.

There are no Medicare or VA treatment facilities in Thailand.

Since you have been turned down by Social Security in Manila, I'd think it would be difficult to contest in Thailand.

You'd probably have to go back the US were a VA facility (assuming you have veterans benefits) could help.

Your link was un-readable cause it attempted to make me sign in using Facebook. Plus,I have been Aids tested during my hospital stays in Phuket for my present conditions and a few others over the last 10 years

. Also all my research shows Shingles comes from the dormant chicken pox virus,which I had as a kid, which hides in your nerves in Spinal cord if I remember correctly. The Shingles bout was brought on by stress of trying to climb 5 tiers of stairs to a bedroom at a friend's house ( very dumb thing to try in my condition) , it took me 30minutes and I was in a total sweat,

I use a Wheelchair to get around due to Rheumatoid arthritis and peripheral neuropathy and CFS.

You have to have had Chicken Pox to get Shingles and I'm 66 next month! The stress of the climb and moving here after 22 years in Patong beach,closing up our Deli with my wife,just pushed the wrong NERVE!

I know theres no help as far as VA in Thailand , and I didn't opt for Medicare cause I knew you cannot get it in Thailand , which is dumb, cause it 'd be cheaper for the US Govt. to let retirees use Hospitals here rather then going back stateside.

I am over 65 , was discharged under Honorable conditions and served in USAF during the Vietnam war era as a Medic for over 2 years +++ and eligible for a Pension according to

everything I read on the VA website. I am waiting for a copy of my DD214

( Discharge Paper)that has disappeared somewhere in my 26 years living here.I have to wait to file with that , but just though a contact with VFW ASAP would help get it rolling. I really don't go out much unless I have no choice ,my legs swell up and get very bad Edema or whatever it might be, even using the wheelchair.

I take it you're not retired military but you might try calling the retiree office at JUSMAG in Bangkok and they may offer some assistance

Their number is 02 287-1036 thru 1045. Ask for ext 165. I think they are only at the office on Tuesday and Thrusday.

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
Edited by Spaniel

The U.S. Embassy can assist veterans in three ways: 1) you did not receive a benefit that you were entitled to; 2) update a mailing address; 3) assist with finding physicians for the Request for Physical Examination, Form VA 21-2507. If you need assistance with any of these three issues, please send an inquiry to our office via email at [email protected]. For faster service or more information regarding other services, please contact Department of Veteran Affairs directly via Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) Website. The Pittsburgh VA Regional Office (VARO) is the servicing VARO for Thailand when you use a Thai street address or APO Box with the VA.

ref: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/federal-benefits-and-taxes.html

The U.S. Embassy can assist veterans in three ways: 1) you did not receive a benefit that you were entitled to; 2) update a mailing address; 3) assist with finding physicians for the Request for Physical Examination, Form VA 21-2507. If you need assistance with any of these three issues, please send an inquiry to our office via email at [email protected]. For faster service or more information regarding other services, please contact Department of Veteran Affairs directly via Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) Website. The Pittsburgh VA Regional Office (VARO) is the servicing VARO for Thailand when you use a Thai street address or APO Box with the VA.

ref: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/federal-benefits-and-taxes.html

Thx,BB1950 from BB947

Sorry I read the thread as if you mailed a letter to the Post.

I just sent an email to the Post commander in reference to this topic and thread.

I suggest you call the number listed on the website contact info. That local number is the Post/Hogsbreath Bar phone. Usually an English speaker will answer the phone but sometimes one of the Thai staff. Ask for Rick he's the Post commander

Call after 1000 hours

They will be happy to answer/ help you I am sure. If you have no results calling them please PM me.

Thx longball, I got a PM from chuckd who is an old friend from my Patpong days at the Derby King ,Goldfingers and Lips 2. an old friend of his is a past Post Commander ,he is calling him to ask him to give me a hand and says we may know each other from Patpong days. But I will certainly do what you suggested and call the number. I really appreciate you guys offering advise. I used to help people all the time all the years I put in at the restaurants & go-gos I worked at. We made sure all military and embassy folks present day or retired were treated as VIPs ,which ain't always the case in go-gos!