Dealer pushing

kawaiimomo

Please avoid sarcasm :-)

I want to know what are the possible consequences if I cancel an existing car booking. I have no properties whatsoever here. The story is as follows:

I am going to buy a car in my name for my gf to use. Because I don't even care about cars I let her go to look, choose and do everything except the signing for the booking. She liked some Isuzu pickup and the salesman convinced her to book the car. She told him we didn't have the first payment yet because we were waiting for a payment ourselves. The guy told her: no problem, whenever you are ready to pay just come and pick up the car, no pressure from us. So she booked it and I signed a small document for finance.

Now, once the finance company said everything was fine, the salesman keep pushing us to go to pick up the car. She told him we still haven't received the money, but the guy keeps calling and pushing. At some point my gf got mad and told him she would cancel the booking and look for another dealer, then the salesman threatened her by telling her we would have problems with the finance company. The doc was in Thai (yes, stupid of me) but didn't look like a contract with clauses etc, so I wonder if he was just bluffing (I don't own anything here, btw).

I called the guy, in cool mode, and asked why he promised something and then didn't stick to his word blabla. He told me he promised a 9k valued promotion but that it was not valid for the month we booked the car, so he decided to pay by himself (sounds like big BS to me), and he said if we were late (there was no due date whatsoever in the papers we signed, or so says the gf) he would need to pay more for that promotion. After my call, the guy talked with the gf and said to com to pick up the car whenever we were ready.

Now, I just saw a missed call from the guy, and before calling him back I thought I would consult with TV :-P I don't like the guy attitude of not sticking to his word and BS me, my mind is telling me to cancel the booking and buy the car somewhere else, but I thought I better consult with someone here what possible consequences can that have: penalty looks unlikely except for losing the 5k of the booking, I just wonder if I could have some trouble when going to buy to another dealer.

Again, please avoid any sarcasm, answer only if you have some advice o something helpful to say ;-)

Thanks!

I despise hard sell tactics especially if they became borderline hostile. Keep it nice by ignoring or blocking his calls and walk from the 5k deposit which is the price of this lesson, i definately wouldnt reward him with a sales commision and take my business elsewhere.

Edited by Retro Reactive
  • Like 1

Thanks for your answers :-)

I actually called the guy back in a pushy/ultimatum way. It went like this:

- I just called for asking when you will come to pick up the car because we need to order from another showroom...

- Listen to me, as I already told you I am waiting for a payment that can happen between the middle and the end of next month. Now, if you are ok with waiting, good, if not let's just cancel the deal because I don't want to waste your time and I don't want you to keep pushing us. And be sure we will call you in advance so you can bring the car.

- Oh yes, no problem sir khrub phom, thank you sir.

%$#@ man, I really hate to get angry or talk strong like that. The guy sounded polite but eating his pride while losing face at the same time, you shouldn't have pushed first because it can backfire (or at least should know exactly up to what point to push). dam_n, if someone should be pushing after all that's me, who is about to spend so much money and you will be getting a nice commision.

Although he doesn't deserve it I am giving the guy a last chance. If he ever calls again, I will cancel the deal straight away without even thinking and buy elsewhere. Even sometimes I can talk strong, I guess I am still too nice and soft rolleyes.gif

Edited by kawaiimomo

The one thing you omitted in your OP was how long this has been going on? Days? Weeks?

It is his job, maybe literally, to sell cars. He has a quota and a boss and the finance company salesman has a quota and a boss. So does he hold a truck for you until you deem to go and collect it? What would your attitude be if you popped in tomorrow cash in hand only to be told sorry we sold your truck to someone else because you didn't come and get it and now you'll have to wait (insert period of your choice). If the salesman is at fault it is because he didn't tell you OK I will hold the vehicle for x days or your order is good for but you have to give us x days notice of your intention to collect.

Why order a vehicle if you can't pay for it when it arrives. The salesman is probably just as p'ed off with you as you are with him.

A question of cake and eat it too?

The one thing you omitted in your OP was how long this has been going on? Days? Weeks?

It is his job, maybe literally, to sell cars. He has a quota and a boss and the finance company salesman has a quota and a boss. So does he hold a truck for you until you deem to go and collect it? What would your attitude be if you popped in tomorrow cash in hand only to be told sorry we sold your truck to someone else because you didn't come and get it and now you'll have to wait (insert period of your choice). If the salesman is at fault it is because he didn't tell you OK I will hold the vehicle for x days or your order is good for but you have to give us x days notice of your intention to collect.

Why order a vehicle if you can't pay for it when it arrives. The salesman is probably just as p'ed off with you as you are with him.

A question of cake and eat it too?

I knew there would be a reply like this... Did you even read the OP or what?

This has been going for nearly 2 weeks now, but you are completely missing the point. The guy assured, re assured and promised there wouldn't be any pushing from their side, that is why he got the booking in the first place. He knew beforehand we still didn't have the money, yet he convinced the gf by promising her there wouldn't be any pressure or deadline.

Regarding the notice period. There may be many stupid people who want something and want it know, but that's not me. I don't even care waiting 1 or 2 weeks for the @#$ car.

See it clearer now, so difficult to understand? She ordered it because there was a promise of no pressure and "come to pick up when you are ready" with the salesman knowledge of her not having the money and waiting for an incoming payment at an uncertain date.

I know it is his job, but IMO a salesman is worth his word, he should stick to whatever he promises, or don't offer and promise something he can't or don't want to keep.