Taxi from airport to Patong hotel midnight Friday

mikeSilom

Been living in Bangkok since January and finally getting around to a trip to Phuket this Friday with my Thai better half. Flight gets in late - about midnight - so I'm wondering what I'll be facing if we take the taxi 'mafia' I read so much about here. I checked with the hotel and they will pick up but after 10:00 they want 1100 baht. If we're going to get fleeced by a driver I'd just as soon give the money to the hotel. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice folks. We're 45 minutes from the hotel and the late hour is a safety concern. Also, not much leverage that time of night once you've left the airport. I once had a driver here decide he wanted to negotiate a rate after he had turned on the meter and I was on the way to the airport. 5 am in the morning and you know there's a good chance you may not get another if you tell him to stop. He settled for an extra 50 baht so I shouldn't complain.

Of course if you are with a Thai here in Bangkok it's 100% the meter will be on and there won't be any discussion. But I've been getting the impression the taxi situation there applies to everyone alike.

Why don't you use a private (but fully legal/licenced) taxi service?

Some of my family members operate legal taxi-meter cars at the airport and the fee to Patong at any time of night is 800 baht if you prebook with them.

A little-known fact:

The rate is only higher at night if you use the taxi-meter office at the airport. but if the taxi-meter drivers (not only my family but any taxi-meter driver) has a prebooking with you and meets you at the airport with their signboard, then the rate is not increased just because the sun has gone down!

you can PM if this sounds of interest.

Simon

NOTE to mods - this is not my hotel taxi that I'm promoting - it is a normal yellow/blue taxi-meter service that operates from the airport, but a little-known fact about their service which they probably prefer night arrivals not to know.....

Thanks for the advice folks. We're 45 minutes from the hotel and the late hour is a safety concern. Also, not much leverage that time of night once you've left the airport. I once had a driver here decide he wanted to negotiate a rate after he had turned on the meter and I was on the way to the airport. 5 am in the morning and you know there's a good chance you may not get another if you tell him to stop. He settled for an extra 50 baht so I shouldn't complain.

Of course if you are with a Thai here in Bangkok it's 100% the meter will be on and there won't be any discussion. But I've been getting the impression the taxi situation there applies to everyone alike.

There is no negotiation here, at any time. They all collude, so you will pay what is demanded from you, or walk, and they know it. It doesn't matter if you are with a Thai, or not.

"Leverage" does not exist on Phuket in relation to transport. You have none - simple as that.

Also, you will not see any metered taxis on Phuket, other than those doing the airport route, as that's all they are "allowed" to do, and they will not use their meter.

As mentioned, unfortunately, the airport transport is only the start of your transport problems. Things will not get any better, for the duration of your stay on Phuket, in relation to transport.

• Like 1

Some of my family members operate legal taxi-meter cars at the airport and the fee to Patong at any time of night is 800 baht if you prebook with them.

A little-known fact:

The rate is only higher at night if you use the taxi-meter office at the airport. but if the taxi-meter drivers (not only my family but any taxi-meter driver) has a prebooking with you and meets you at the airport with their signboard, then the rate is not increased just because the sun has gone down!

Simon

NOTE to mods - this is not my hotel taxi that I'm promoting - it is a normal yellow/blue taxi-meter service that operates from the airport, but a little-known fact about their service which they probably prefer night arrivals not to know.....

"If we're going to get fleeced by a driver I'd just as soon give the money to the hotel." - I took this to mean he would rather the hotel get the money, than the "taxi association" otherwise known as the taxi mafia.

Those yellow/blue taxis also have to pay their "dues."

A little-known fact:

Simon

Good to see your family members are "only" charging 800 baht to Patong.

If you're not afraid to drive, arrange for a rental car. There are a number of rental car services by the airport. I have friends come in on some really late/early morning flights and the rental car companies always take care of them. This way you'll be mobile and save a lot of hassle and money "negotiating" with the local mafia thugs. I would think you can get a small Toyota/Honda for less than 1K/day.

Good to see your family members are "only" charging 800 baht to Patong

Yes, because that is the Taxi-Meter published rate from Phuket airport to Patong, which is charged by all taxi-meters and not just my family members who work for that company.

What is not a published rate is charging a higher fee after dark - it is still 800 baht.

Edited by simon43

Yes, because that is the Taxi-Meter published rate from Phuket airport to Patong, which is charged by all taxi-meters and not just my family members who work for that company.

What is not a published rate is charging a higher fee after dark - it is still 800 baht.

Just because it's "published" doesn't mean that it's right. Everyone is so fed up with the taxi mafia as it relates to price fixing and bad attitudes. And just because the taxi runs the meter at 5x the rate of anywhere else in Thailand doesn't make it right either. 100 baht "deposit" at the airport box for an unknown reason, then he starts the meter at 50. Before you even roll you are already in for 150 baht!!! The rigged meter then hits 750 baht on the nose to my house in Karon. So 850 baht total. Trying to convince anyone that your family member's "meter taxi" business is better transport option is on the same level as trying to tell them that being burned at the stake is better than being drawn and quartered. I'm sure they are all good guys, but that argument isn't going to fly here.

• Like 1

Just because it's "published" doesn't mean that it's right. Everyone is so fed up with the taxi mafia as it relates to price fixing and bad attitudes. And just because the taxi runs the meter at 5x the rate of anywhere else in Thailand doesn't make it right either. 100 baht "deposit" at the airport box for an unknown reason, then he starts the meter at 50. Before you even roll you are already in for 150 baht!!! The rigged meter then hits 750 baht on the nose to my house in Karon. So 850 baht total. Trying to convince anyone that your family member's "meter taxi" business is better transport option is on the same level as trying to tell them that being burned at the stake is better than being drawn and quartered. I'm sure they are all good guys, but that argument isn't going to fly here.

Well the end result is that if you take his 'family' taxi it is cheaper for the OP. So I agree with him and would take that offer.

While I can't fault a driver for trying to make as much as they can, is there anyone at the airport holding a gun to the drivers head saying you can't use the meter and you must charge the published rate?

Now that we know Simon's relative is a meter taxi driver, I'd like to hear the hard costs that being a driver in a meter taxi entails. Is there a rental fee per day? Is there an association fee that is paid? If so to whom? Is there any reason why the meters are not used, yet drivers are not being prosecuted for not using the meter? The whole thing smells of collusion and mafia type practices. I'd also like to know the story on the drivers of the "airport limos" and what they have to pay out monthly that justifies the outrageous prices being charged.

While I can't fault a driver for trying to make as much as they can, is there anyone at the airport holding a gun to the drivers head saying you can't use the meter and you must charge the published rate?

Now that we know Simon's relative is a meter taxi driver, I'd like to hear the hard costs that being a driver in a meter taxi entails. Is there a rental fee per day? Is there an association fee that is paid? If so to whom? Is there any reason why the meters are not used, yet drivers are not being prosecuted for not using the meter? The whole thing smells of collusion and mafia type practices. I'd also like to know the story on the drivers of the "airport limos" and what they have to pay out monthly that justifies the outrageous prices being charged.

Yes I would like them to explain why a taxi cost more than a ticket to BKK !! Flying that is.

I's be interested in seeing a break down of that 800 baht as well.

Why is it a hotel or guest house room cleaner earns 6000 to 9000 baht a month, and a taxi driver can turnover that in 2 days - both are unskilled labour.

Trying to convince anyone that your family member's "meter taxi" business is better transport option

What on earth are you talking about? Read my post again - carefully. 2 family members are drivers for the Taxi-Meter service at the airport, not a family taxi business. That taxi-meter service does not usually use the meter(!), but does publish a rate from the airport to various destinations. The rate to Patong is 800 baht, not 1100 baht.

If you arrive at the airport at any time of the day or night, and there are few taxi-meter vehicles available, then that taxi-meter office will 'up the rate' (supply and demand). Hence, it makes far more sense to prebook one of the taxi-meter vehicles to meet you outside the arrivals hall. By prebooking, you ensure that you get a licenced taxi who charges the published rate, and not some higher rate as previously mentioned in this thread.

As to whether 800 baht is a fair rate for travel to Patong, that's an entirely different subject. I don't agree at all that it's a fair rate, but that is the rate that these drivers have to charge because they work for the taxi-meter company and cannot offer lower rates than published by that company.

Likewise, if one of my hotel guests needs to take a private transfer from our hotel to Patong, then we also have to charge the same rate of 800 baht. I cannot undercut the taxi-meter companies because I enjoy my legs very much as they are right now, and prefer them not to be broken :)

Simon

Very sad indictment by a local businman with family connection. Taxi mafia break legs ...

My words are perhaps metaphorical (spelling), But like me, you also live in Phuket and must be aware of the potential for personal harm if you try to go 'against the flow'. I run my small, family businesses and prefer a peaceful life. If anyone wants to try to fight the system, then let the Thais do it - it's their country

Very sad indictment by a local businman with family connection. Taxi mafia break legs ...

My words are perhaps metaphorical (spelling), But like me, you also live in Phuket and must be aware of the potential for personal harm if you try to go 'against the flow'. I run my small, family businesses and prefer a peaceful life. If anyone wants to try to fight the system, then let the Thais do it - it's their country

Why would the Thai's "fight the system" - they are all in on it. :) :)

Why would the Thai's "fight the system" - they are all in on it. smile.pngsmile.png

Nonsense, most are not.

It's a sad state when you can't operate your business without fear of repercussions going against the collusionists, mafia, thugs, cartels or whatever you want to call these people that threaten anyone going against their business practices.

Back to OP, just rent a car. Talked to a friend yesterday and he gets rental cars for 750 baht/day.

Paid 640 + 100 fee at the airport = 740. Around 1 AM.

That's the (new) official meter price. You were really lucky to find a meter cab at 1 AM. They usually stop about midnight.

An "official meter price" that's not actually on the meter. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Paid 640 + 100 fee at the airport = 740. Around 1 AM.

That's the (new) official meter price. You were really lucky to find a meter cab at 1 AM. They usually stop about midnight.

An "official meter price" that's not actually on the meter. smile.png:)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/666300-phuket-to-push-for-higher-taxi-fares-despite-bangkok-opposition/