Gardening

JungleBoy

At my request, my landlord put in a brick planter so that I could plant a vine type plant that would provide shade from the afternoon sun. What I am looking for are suggestions on vines that grow fast and have plenty of flowers that last many months. I like Jasmine, but I think Jasmine doesn't like afternoon sun. That's what I get on the side of the house I'm trying to protect - sun. Morning Glories seem to work well.

Any suggestions on what other types of flowering vines that have morning shade and noon to dusk sun?

Thanks,

jb

If you are prepared to put up with the mess, a climbing vatiety Bougainvillea will be quite happy in strong sun, and fast growing. Failing that, Dork Somlek, a small orange flowered vine that flowers for most of the year.

Edit:- There is also a local hybrid Honeysuckle available, but not half the fragrance of it's European cousin. Your Jasmine, I fear will not last the duration, as it prefers partial shade, and not strong sun.

Edited by Maejo Man

If you can import it into Thailand, get Dutchman's Pipe vine. It's a very good hot weather growing vine, especially in the southern states here in America - you usually see it growing on those old planation houses in the South.

Please don't import plants without careful consideration and research - otherwise you don't know what ecological disaster you might be responsible for :o

If you can import it into Thailand, get Dutchman's Pipe vine. It's a very good hot weather growing vine, especially in the southern states here in America - you usually see it growing on those old planation houses in the South.

Please don't import plants without careful consideration and research - otherwise you don't know what ecological disaster you might be responsible for :o

Hmmm....I know where you're coming from, but, considering that nearly all ornamental plants in Thailand are not native, I don't think one more would hurt.