Songthaews in Bangkok

CPT

I saw a songthaew yesterday on Rama IV and realized that it was the first I had noticed in Bangkok. Perhaps they are everywhere and I simply haven't been paying attention but I am rather certain I have not seen any near where I live in the Victory Monument area.

Does anyone know what areas are serviced by songthaews and how the system works? Costs? Do they run on fixed routes (I noticed certain destinations painted on the side of the vehicle)? Any particularly useful routes that I should be aware of connecting major shpping, dining, or touristic points? I am particularly curious about any that might serve the Rattanakosin and Dusit areas. I am familiar with the service in Chiang Mai and Pattaya but have never used a songhtaew in Bangkok and didn't even realize they were available until yesterday.

Yes I have noticed them before, funny you should mention Rama 4, I used to use them to go back and forward to soi Suan Plu when immigration was there.

The other areas you mention I am not familiar with, so cant comment on.

Areas I can comment on, Prakhanong, they run up and down soi 71 all day, going from the BTS to the pier at Klong Tan.

On Nut, they run from the On Nut market (opposite Big C) to places such as Seacon Square.

Sri Nakarin rd, they run from Seacon Square to the Mall Bang Kapi.

Ramkhamhaeng Rd, they run up and down going to places such as ABAC.

In my experience they tend to run to and from BTS/MRT stations such as Lat Prao, and also operate to and from shopping centres such as Fashion Island.

Dont use them much so cant comment any further, I do pass them when driving back but dont pay much attention.

Thousands of songthaews in Bangkok but primarily in the outer suburbs especially where bus services are not common or to link key places. You will easily find them on the Thonburi side of the river, Nonthaburi, Minburi and Samut Prakhan, Pathum Thani way but also in a few places a closer to the center. Some run past divergent shopping centers such as Seacon, The Mall Bangkapi, Future and Central Bang Na. Getting in and out of Muang Thong Thani/Impact/Challenger is often best done by the songthaews to/from Chaeng Wattana rd.

Routes and costs will obviously vary. I don't see the attraction of a songthaew myself in a BKK context with other options available but they serve a purpose for places with little or no other transport options.

Never seen any doing routes around Rattanakosin or Dusit.

Thanks for the info! I generally use the BTS to get around which can be a bit limiting and augment that with taxis and buses on occassion. Unfortunately, it is often very difficult or impossible to find taxis willing to go where I live so I thought songthaews might be a nice option to fill in the gaps.

Now that I think about it, with the time spent in traffic here they likely aren't as great an option in Bangkok as they are elsewhere. I am still curious to learn a bit more about them though.

Edited by CPT

I use the ones on Onnut almost every day. As mentioned above, they run from the beginning of Onnut to as far as Seacon Square on Srinakarin Road. Price is 7 baht any distance, and 9 baht after 10pm.

They are always available, really convenient, and don't seem to take that much more time than a taxi or motorbike. The Thai passengers are always curious to see a farang riding with them. tongue.png