Positive ID to reduce abuse

GuestHouse

I am sure it would. It would also stop most people from joining ...like me, I would never join any forum that needed that level of ID. Just because I would be worried about what they could do with it, ID theft, etc.

And, many people would stop giving their true opinions, stop discussing personal issues (almost everything maybe) and this place would become quite dead ..in my opinion.

• Like 1

Like Amykat, I'd be bye bye. I'd still read, but I'd never post. Moderators can block abusive members by IP address if they wish. No need for additional ID. I'm sure the Thai and US governments can trace me, but the day my employers (current and future) can trace a post to me, all controversy goes out of my posts and we're left with sickening sweet hypocrisy.

And I'm sure not going to ask for advice on that embarrassing itch if it means my future insurance company will be excluding that as a pre-existing condition. (Not to mention future GFs)

Edited by impulse

I would no longer post.

If your issue is with people opening new accounts to troll, a simple solution would be that all posts are reviewed by a moderator before being posted to the forum if the users post count and/or time since registration is under a certain threshold. It would require a little extra work by mods in the short term but it would be less work cleaning up the messes of the same people over and over using different nics.

I would no longer post.

If your issue is with people opening new accounts to troll, a simple solution would be that all posts are reviewed by a moderator before being posted to the forum if the users post count and/or time since registration is under a certain threshold. It would require a little extra work by mods in the short term but it would be less work cleaning up the messes of the same people over and over using different nics.

It would require A LOT of extra work by the mods who are unpaid volunteers.

• Like 1

Good point, and I aint no computer geek, I thought thats what ISPs were for.

On the whole I think many on here who have been here long enough can recognize the usual suspects who have been re-incarnated, coupled with a self policing policy where the usual trolls etc are quickly identified.

As for abuse, maybe I am obtuse, dont think I have ever experienced it, for sure have been involved in lively debates where I may not agree with the OP or posters, and have earned holidays (rightly so on reflection).

• 3 weeks later...

Get real....membership would drop like hot cakes...income stream and the wool pulled over eyes would be suicide.

I reckon membership would more than just drop away - it would be near zero. Perhaps Jingthing and a few other diehards would remain.biggrin.png