uTorrent not working? Any alternatives?

geishagirlkt

Just moved to Bangkok & have been trying to download some new Breaking Bad eps on uTorrent, but it won't work? Just saying 'connecting to peers'.

I'm connected with the apartments wifi - would it have something to do with that?

Any alternative suggestions on how to download, if not by uTorrent?

You'll have to find a way to "change" your IP address. Then it seems that you're in another country. Good luck!-wai2.gif

No, that has nothing to do w/ OP's problem.

Offhand, seems to be a port blockage locally.

OP, go into the various options and try different ports. Select "choose random port" at startup. (I'm going by memory.)

Quite a number of alternatives to utorrent. I use qbitorrent on Linux. There's also Tixati. Some like Vuse, I find it bloated.

Try some different torrents, too.

The great firewall of Thailand blocks access to trackers. Good thing is that you can launch a VPN, connect to said trackers and then disconnect the VPN and you should start getting connections, etc.

Kind of a pain in the butt considering some of us use torrents for legitimate purposes.

The great firewall of Thailand blocks access to trackers. Good thing is that you can launch a VPN, connect to said trackers and then disconnect the VPN and you should start getting connections, etc.

Kind of a pain in the butt considering some of us use torrents for legitimate purposes.

Nonsense. The OP isn't running into any great firewall of Thailand in his attempts to download Breaking Bad.

Normally a VPN is not at all needed. For the OP it would a last resort to get around the blocking from his apartment building's wifi. That will cost money; free VPNs will be found to be unsatisfactory except for surfing.

Better would be just to sign up with an ISP. Apartment wi-fi is surely going to be slow.

OP, check w/ others in the building who may be downloading torrents and see how they're doing it if they are.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

It is most likely the Apartment's wifi, trackers are not generally blocked. The Apartment wifi would not have sufficient bandwidth so they are protecting other users by blocking torrenting. You would need to get your own ISP line (if you can) and use that for torrenting.

Forget Torrent downloads. You can stream any TV show you want to watch here http://watchseries.lt/letters/A

Stream speed is better in the afternoon. But you can always pause the show and let the download catch up a little bit.

Wow what a wonderful bit of kit you've provided in your link.You diamond, many thanks.

I have run into this problem in Thailand on installing the, then, latest version of utorrent. A couple of re-installs didn't over come the problem.

It was resolved by installing an earlier version of utorrent. Now happily using 3.2.1. but will be trying watchseries (thanks for the advice pitsanulokjohn).

Use a different torrent (program) client. Download the program bitTorrent. I find it works better than utorrent.

Get a decent newsgroup provider. I use Newshosting for $10 per month, though it isn't for the tight ar5e.

I have no problem using a couple of member only sites that I joined long ago, yes for free, now closed to the public. Still some public sites have an amazing variety that are hard to beat. And yes they are also free.

You could try TOR.

It would surprise me that a condo wifi would be technically enough aware, to stop torrent traffic, though it is very easy to do.

Somebody had to setup the building wifi and probably wasn't stupid. Everybody complains about Thai apt building wifi. Part of the problem is bandwidth being monopolized by torrent downloading.

I've known buildings w/ every port blocked except for 80 and 21. It took much time and persuasion to get port 119 opened for Usenet.

• Like 1

What a scam watchseries.lt.com is do not follow the link or join.

Firstly you will not get what you think as it redirects to flixden.com and also asks for a free credit card authorization process.

If you want to cancel it will cost $1 to do it and if you dont cancel its $49 after 5 days.

In utorrent, Preferences

Connection - You can try changing the port, but things like randomising your port are only really useful if your ISP is traffic-shaping your connection out of existence.
Bandwidth - you'll generally need to set your upload and download rates a lot lower than you would in other countries. You can also lower the total number of connections if you think the router you're connecting to is maybe not coping very well (not an issue if web browsing is working the same as it does if utorrent is turned off).
BitTorrent - I usually have Outgoing encryption set to Forced, but allow incoming legacy connections.
Queueing - If you have a lot of torrents, this is where you tell it to only have a few working at a time.

If all that doesn't work - qBitTorrent seems to like my Thai internet connection more than utorrent does. No idea why...
I even prefer qBitTorrent's handling of RSS feeds.

What a scam watchseries.lt.com is do not follow the link or join.

Firstly you will not get what you think as it redirects to flixden.com and also asks for a free credit card authorization process.

If you want to cancel it will cost $1 to do it and if you dont cancel its $49 after 5 days.

Another scam like Lumovies. Be warned.

Just used watchseries.it. Watched the latest episode of Whitechapel, No problems at all. Thanks for the recommendation.

This is quoted on their site before you decide to play video.

Watch-Series does not stream videos or host content of any kind, the videos you watch are hosted and shown from sites such as YouTube, Tudou & Megavideo.Any videos shown on 3rd party websites have passed their own stringent internal vetting procedures and as such are assumed as fully authorized for publication by the content owners.Watch-Series is not responsible for content of external internet sites. Watch-Series is not responsible for the availability of such third party web sites. The content of such third party web sites is beyond our control. We neither endorse, make any representations nor accept any liability (whether direct or indirect) for such third party web sites or their content, products or services offered at those web sites, or by their sponsoring companies.
Edited by elfpattaya