uTorrent not working? Any alternatives?

geishagirlkt

I use BitTorrent and UTorrent. They seem to be the same program, with pretty much identical interfaces.

For some reason, when I can't get any speed on BitTorrent, UTorrent works fine, and vice versa,

Go figure.

No problems with blockers here in BKK, no VPN either.

What a scam watchseries.lt.com is do not follow the link or join.

Firstly you will not get what you think as it redirects to flixden.com and also asks for a free credit card authorization process.

If you want to cancel it will cost $1 to do it and if you dont cancel its $49 after 5 days.

Works just fine for me. Just watched a Top Shot episode. Perhaps some series lead to scam sites?

It will assuredly be port blocking on the local router somewhere.

No hard to put in place and not easy to bypass without some skill.

You will need to read a little about how to change ports on uTorrent AND read what I write slowly because no one else will consider this solution. - but it works I have done it!

IP addresses have nothing to do with the problem - the person that suggested it does not understand what is going on.

Use of a different P2P application like Vuse etc has nothing to do with the problem the person that suggested this does not understand what is going on.

Sorry if you two feel snubbed by these comments but it's true. coffee1.gif

The browser you are using now is configured as standard to communicate on port 80, for every browser is it is the standard. Email applications are configured to communicate on port 25 as standard, things like Outlook and Thunderbird etc - this is NOT the same as using a browser tab to access Hotmail - that is just plain browser communication on port 80 again. Got the idea?

If you need a picture in your mind consider an old fashion post-room that has a wall of individually numbered pigeon holes, now tear down the wall behind the frame of pigeon holes - your office is behind that post-room frame of pigeon holes. Each of those pigeon holes is a port that allows a route of communication through.

The nasty but clever IT man has nailed coverings over all the pigeon holes except a few that only allow port 80 (for browsing) and probably a few others like port 25 for email and probably a few others.

Most torrenting applications will use ports above 64,000 etc. There is no rule or reason - but this is convention. There are many ports that are dedicated to certain process or programs - there is a list-link at the bottom of this port.

So ANYTHING that is put in box/port 80 will get through BUT because your browser is configured to see port 80 traffic EVERYTHING that comes in on port 80 is handled by the browser.

So far we have done nothing to help you but understand a little about how routers and port blocking works. But....

If you configure your uTorrent to use port 80, it will quite happily send and receive P2P communications on port 80 and work normally taking to trackers and peers in a swarm.

It will get peer data from a tracker, IE what other peer IP addresses are and what port they will respond on - you can see this raw data just by looking at the Peers tab within uTorrent, it also shows the type of torrent application and often country that the peer is located in as well.

Your torrent application will use that data to create a datagram addressed to the remote peer example: 123.123.123.277:6765767 [ IP address = 123.123.123.277 port = 6765767 ]

...and include your return address which will be 234.234.234.281:80

That datagram will be sent by your PC to the building's router (it might be blocking out going P2P traffic or both in and out - depends on the guy that set it up, his skills and the hardware in use - I would have to be on site to test it) as your datagram is set to use port 80 it will look just like Somchai checking his lottery ticket numbers on the Thai government web-site or you accessing ThaiVisa.Com and the datagram will be send out to the internet with the router adding a little serial number on it to mark that it was approved for sending.

When it reaches the peer 123.123.123.277:6765767 their router see the port label in the datagram and the little man inside their router puts the lump of data in pigeon-hole numbered 6765767 inside their ADSL router - in real life this is like the process called Port Forwarding - the router has been told that if data on 6765767 arrives it is to be given to the torrent application running on the user's PC. Your datagram has arrived.

Their torrent application finds the data block of Breaking Bad S02E11 or whatever you requested and bundles up that datagram addressed to 234.234.234.281:80 from 123.123.123.277:6765767 etc. There will be a little sticker on that bundle called "Established" with a serial number.

When that datagram arrives back at your building's router/post-room it first sees that it knows the serial number on the "established" label and will have in it's RAM that this is the response to a datagram recently sent out, it reads the datagram's label and sees that it is indeed for geishagirlkt's computer because again it knows that the IP address assigned to geishagirlkt matches the IP address in the datagram. Also the datagram is coming IN on port 80 so does not break the local rules blocking most other ports in place to stop torrenting. (Again assuming no packet analysis is in place - again unlikely in an apartment block)

To the IT aware people reading I'm ignoring network address translation and port address translation as this is attempting to get some quite technical ideas across to a non-technical readership, and yes I'm jumping over a few stages to get the point across without allowing the reader to pass there own CCNA exam, they need to understand a little to know which bits to change to bypass the restriction.

Bottom line - you will probably bypass the building's restriction on torrenting by switching your uTorrent to use port 80 - also tick the encrypted &non-forced (accept non-encrypted) boxes.

But while you are using uTorrent like this you will not be able to use your browser; Internet Explorer, Opera or Firefox etc. on the same computer at the same time. This is the important bit - so I'll write it again.

But while you are using uTorrent like this you will not be able to use your browser; Internet Explorer, Opera or Firefox etc. on the same computer at the same time.

So - go to torrent site - download your torrents - shut down the browser - start uTorrent - set to port 80 - force start the torrents - watch the speed tab to see traffic flow. You can watch your programmes while this happens in the background. When downloads complete - shut down uTorrent (not just minimise) and you can browse again with the browser.

You might experiment with using port 25 which I would expect would be open in the router but you would have to test this - by using port 80 you know that it is open already because your browser works!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those that want to take these ideas further...

Read about ports here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

Port scanning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_scanner (many applications and web-sites to help)

On networks I ran I would be looking for people that started port scanning or side scans and suddenly became very interested in all of their traffic with a deep packet inspector - but this is unlikely in the average Thai apartment block.

Try Pirate Bay?

Do you even know what the topic is about. What is thepiratebay? What is utorrent? Idiots abound!

They are talking about downloading movies, television programs and the like using "Torrents"

Downloading a "Torrent" file you need a "Client' such as uTorrent http://www.utorrent.com/

post-35075-0-60788200-1379593217_thumb.j

Pirate Bay http://thepiratebay.sx/recent is one of many sites where you can download "Torrents"

I mainly download UK TV programs during the day and watch them in the evenings. Some of the programs are uploaded within hours of being broadcast - like the BBC News.

Lots of info on here and Google

Hope this helps a little.

smile.png

It's probably a port forwarding issue. Best way around is to get your own ISP service & Google port forwarding plus the router model for the right steps. Basically you make a hole in the router firewall to get peers to connect to you. You may have to add permissions for the torrent client to your Windows firewall as well.

Buy the DVDs

For TV shows???

I don't think so.

Most people I think just want to see some General TV programs,

and not many of us have DVD players anymore anyway; do we?

I gave mine the boot years ago,

and have never missed the bugger since.

The great firewall of Thailand blocks access to trackers. Good thing is that you can launch a VPN, connect to said trackers and then disconnect the VPN and you should start getting connections, etc.

Kind of a pain in the butt considering some of us use torrents for legitimate purposes.

I'm not aware there are any legitimate purposes for torrents. Mostly just for by passing paying royalties for games and programs.

The great firewall of Thailand blocks access to trackers. Good thing is that you can launch a VPN, connect to said trackers and then disconnect the VPN and you should start getting connections, etc.

Kind of a pain in the butt considering some of us use torrents for legitimate purposes.

I use uTorrent all the time with no VPN. I think this is something locally for the OP. The apt blocking it or something.

Firstly you will not get what you think as it redirects to flixden.com and also asks for a free credit card authorization process.

If you want to cancel it will cost $1 to do it and if you dont cancel its $49 after 5 days.

You may have clicked on the wrong links. I have been watching lots of shows for free. They are all there.

The site WILL bury you in pop-up ads, and try to mislead you to advertising links, but I use Firefox with Adblocker ad-on and I never see them. Trust me, every show you can imagine is there. You don't have to join anything.

• Like 1

I'm not aware there are any legitimate purposes for torrents.

There are many open source/creative commons programs that are distributed by P2P as there are music where the copyright holder uses the torrenting world to distribute and promote their music.

Cinema is of an age as is the publication of books that many works are now in the public domain and sharing via torrents makes so much more logical and technical sense than FTP from a central data warehouse.

There is a H U G E amount of educational and documentary content that is opening shared by torrent with zero interest from the copyright holder as the purpose of producing the content was to educate and inform so it seems silly to limit it's spread doesn't it?

And I see that at least one broadcast empire is using P2P technology to distribute movies among it's customers, this is torrenting just with a private tracker at play.

So you see circusman, you are a little behind the times with your opinion.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/finding-legal-and-free-torrents.htm

Forget Torrent downloads. You can stream any TV show you want to watch here http://watchseries.lt/letters/A

Stream speed is better in the afternoon. But you can always pause the show and let the download catch up a little bit.

Wow what a wonderful bit of kit you've provided in your link.You diamond, many thanks.

I agree , great site, just sat watching Top Gear USA, always wondered what it was like and now i know ............same format but shame about the 3 presenters ;)

You must have clicked some of the dodgy ads by mistake......ive got em all blocked and had the series running after only a couple of clicks, excellent site IMO.

As for the OP If you are willing to pay a small amount then Rapidshare still works well.. I used to download from there in internet cafes while i was checking my mail and other things with no problems and also got many a movie through hotel/ apartment server whilst out for the day.

For torrents i have found Vuse to work well in Thailand . If you find that certain sites are being blocked then you could try a little program called Ultrasurf. http://ultrasurf.us/ .....Thats how i get round the server blocks in place in the UK on torrent sites at the moment, works a treat but never tried that in Thailand yet.

You could try TOR.

It would surprise me that a condo wifi would be technically enough aware, to stop torrent traffic, though it is very easy to do.

Somebody had to setup the building wifi and probably wasn't stupid. Everybody complains about Thai apt building wifi. Part of the problem is bandwidth being monopolized by torrent downloading.

I've known buildings w/ every port blocked except for 80 and 21. It took much time and persuasion to get port 119 opened for Usenet.

Yes, I would torture Apt wifi..... I average 1+TB per month with the most being around 4TB in one month traffic.

There is probably several companies that specialize in doing this for apartments and they would be well aware of most of the easy blocks to stop people using all the bandwidth in the building and leaving everyone else complaining. Most people will only use a couple ports (http, https, ftp). Not only would their be a lack of wifi but the routers would probably not be built to handle the number of connections that torrents would open, leading the the router running out of memory until there is very little traffic at all.

the great firewall most certainly does nothing of the sort.

• Like 1

You may have clicked on the wrong links. I have been watching lots of shows for free. They are all there.

The site WILL bury you in pop-up ads, and try to mislead you to advertising links, but I use Firefox with Adblocker ad-on and I never see them. Trust me, every show you can imagine is there. You don't have to join anything.

That sounds good i wonder if any of you have tried solarmovies i use that in the UK and you have to be careful what link you click if a link ask's for credit card move on to the next one and click on the free stream and not premium .

In Thailand you may have to go in the back door i would be interested to see if you can use the site in Thailand it's good for TV series as well.

Edited by jocko

Torrent downloads or Internet TV streaming are pretty much a waste of time on apartment WiFi connections unless they have changed a great deal since I lived in an apartment. They used to pay for one residential connection and split it up with their server to all the apartments in the block (which is illegal). At that time, this meant a 4MB/ 512KB line shared between about a hundred people and they had the cheek to sell you different packages with speeds they could never hope to provide. The speeds have increased nowadays of course but I am guessing you are all still going to be sharing a connection that is meant for one household.

If you still want to give it a go, I'd try port 443 (HTTPS) rather than 80. In that way, you could still use your Internet browser to visit most websites at the same time as you are torrenting.

As other people have said, it has nothing to do with your IP address and torrent trackers are generally not blocked by Thai ISPs. The only exception I ever came across was Buddy Broadband, who expected me to believe they weren't blocking trackers even after I pointed out to them that when I ran them through TOR proxy they all connected fine and when I didn't they were all unconnectable.

Edited by inthepink