Extending Visa Exempt stamp

The most you can get is 7days.

You can get a single entry tourist visa that would give a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at any nearby embassy or consulate.

You can do a border crossing and get a 15 day entry. Or fly out and back getting a 30 day entry.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

The point is this: I have to fly every 4-6 weeks out of Thailand for meetings. So I was wondering if I could get an extension on the 30 days vExempt I get at the Airport. If I could get 15 days without moving out of Bangkok/Thailand, I could better organize those meetings.

@unonjoe: would that cost something to get those 7 days? And where do I get it?

You can apply for an extension of stay at your nearest immigration office. Your application will be refused and you will be granted 7 days at a cost of 1900bht to leave the country.

You may have to provide evidence of having a ticket to leave within the seven days.

Leaving the country and returning by air will provide another 30 days. Returning via a land border will give 15 days.

Getting a tourist visa in a nearby country will provide 60 days extendable at immigration for another 30 days !

• Like 2

The 15 days by land, 30 days by air or 60 days through Embassy from a neighboring country I am aware of those options.

It was just the Visa Exempt (30 days by air) that I was not sure of how and if it was possible.

Anyway, extending it for only 7 days for 1'900 thb is a bit meager. So better organize the meetings every 4 weeks. Or as suggested to make a border run to get 15 days. That would cost only back and forth 800 thb. or so compared to the 1'900.

Cambodia. You could get a 2 entry tourist visa.

Not as I understand from Cambodia !

Maybe it was Laos which was intended  to be suggested ?

Cambodia was the answer to the question which border was closest to Bangkok.

Visa was originally the 2nd line and just a comment. Laos is only place for 2 entry.

Can a border run be made two times in a row? So; border run - 14 days - border run - 14 days.

Serial border running will eventually be challenged .

The immigration guys will suspect you are not a "tourist"

Note this from the Thai Consul in Birmingham:-

The Thai authorities have changed the way in which they will deal with tourists entering Thailand for up to 30 days without a valid visa and as there is some confusion as to the exact meaning of these changes we hope that this explanation will help clarify the situation.

The most important point to understand is that this only affects people who do not have a valid visa. If you have a valid visa there is no change at all to the way your travel arrangements will be dealt with and you need read no further.

If you are entering the Kingdom of Thailand without a valid visa there is a concession which allows you to do so providing that the following conditions are ALL fulfilled.

1. Your Passport is on a list of passports approved for this purpose. It is likely to be but please check if you are in doubt.

2. Your visit to the Kingdom of Thailand is for tourism purposes only.

3. You hold a confirmed air ticket to leave the Kingdom within 30 days direct from a Thai airport. Please note that you must travel by air and travel from an an airport outside of Thailand does not count.

This has been the rule for many years and nothing has changed in this regard. The only thing that has changed is that these rules are being applied more strictly than in the past. This means that you will not be allowed into the Kingdom of Thailand without a valid visa unless you can fulfil all of the above conditions.

If you enter the Kingdom at an immigration checkpoint, which borders another country, you may be allowed upto 15 days entry providing you have a confirmed air ticket to leave the Kingdom within those 15 days.

Note that this enforcement of the current rules are intended to end the practice of a person without a valid visa going to the border every 30 days.

Please also be aware that Airlines often check if passengers have either a valid visa or a return ticket within 30 days and will exclude you from boarding a flight to Thailand if you have neither. The Thai authorities have asked Airlines to be more vigilant in this respect.

The last point is that this 30 days only applies if your total stay is up to 30 days. It is not a free 30 days which can be added to the length of your visa as some people seem to think.

You have not stated if the above note is a new thing from that Consulate or not. Have seen no such reporting on this forum or anywhere else - immigration does not routinely check flight status for those arriving from developed countries and there is no current checking at land crossing that I am aware of. What can and sometimes does happen is airline will prevent travel without meeting the onward flight rule. But once here it would be highly unusual to be checked or refused entry.

I actually entered on a tourist visa this time - not the visa exempt program - and was asked by the immigration officer about my onward flight. I was merely asked and not requested to show anything. 'Thought this was odd. Officer was unusually polite and smiling; I didn't think much more of it since I could easily have shown him the onward flight confirmation doc if he'd asked.