Collect Holiday Pay But Not Going Back To Work

Frampleton

So I was given a job at a government school and the school was not what I thought it would be. Certain things about it drive me crazy and I really think there are better deals out there. I am sticking it out till the end of the term but I don't have any intention of coming back. However, I still want to get my holiday pay. We were promised 50% salary during the month of October- about 20k, and I think i could really use it. I signed a contract with some sketchy agency but they took forever to get my Non B in order. So I just said forget it,  and I'm going with my own visa. I'm not on their work permit or anything.

Is there any penalty or negative repercussions for not showing up for school come next term? I would like to give them a month's notice but I don't think they'd give me that holiday pay. I feel like it's owed to me, but at the same time, I think it's given under the expectation that you will be returning to the school again. What do you think could happen if I just kept quiet, got the money and didn't go back? 

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is teachers like you that'll make schools stop paying holiday pay. Unfortunately the Thais tend to tar everyone with the same brush. Sounds like it was the agency giving you the run around and not the school so, do the right thing and give them the month notice. If you are on about taking your non-b visa and using that at another school I think your in for a surprise. From what I understand, the non-b is for that school only and has the name of the school wrote in Thai somewhere on the visa.

• Like 2

You plan to try and collect money that you are probably not entitled to because you did not work. Legally, if you miss a Friday and a Monday (at least in some Provinces), you can be deducted for Saturday, even if it is not a normal work day.

If you don't have a legal visa or work permit, the school or the agency could make a problem for you. A rather big problem, I might add.

• Like 1

I don't understand how that works. THEY HIRED ME. (allegedly) they would technically be in more trouble than I would be. It's like a drug dealer trying to get his customer arrested.

It's you that doesn't have a non-imm B visa and work permit. Your employer has obligations to process paperwork to support your applications for these, but you will be the one in the bigger pile of poo. If they can show they had started processing your paperwork, they probably haven't even committed an offense. It certainly won't be one anyone will bother about anyway. However, you could be locked up, fined and deported. If you run off with holiday pay you're not entitled to, they'll be very upset with you.

Edited by Loaded

I don't understand how that works. THEY HIRED ME. (allegedly) they would technically be in more trouble than I would be. It's like a drug dealer trying to get his customer arrested.

maximum punishment for an employer to have someone working without a work permit is 100,000 baht.

maximum punishment for an employee to work without a work permit is 5 years in jail and/or a fine of up to 100,000 baht.

• Like 1

I am a bit confused here. Since when does a school pay in advance? My school pays at end of month, for the month I have just worked. We will have mid term break at middle of month for two weeks but not paid till we get back at the months end? Maybe some schools operate differently but if so they are leaving themselves wide open to those few that give the rest of us a bad name!

maximum punishment for an employer to have someone working without a work permit is 100,000 baht.

maximum punishment for an employee to work without a work permit is 5 years in jail and/or a fine of up to 100,000 baht.

Followed by deportation and being blacklisted.

And we see so clearly from Frampleton's post why many schools here treat their foreign teachers with contempt. He or she will find that holiday pay is given at the end f the month as per usual, in other words you've got to return to collect the monies owed.

Seems as if there may be an issue as to who the O.P. may be working for and on what visa as well.

Frankly this person obviously has no professional ethics and their actions have repercussions on innocent committed teachers here. The sooner they are out of the teaching circuit in Thailand the better, people like the O.P. are like piles much better when they've gone.whistling.gif

I note that Joe Mama obviously checked when the spell check message came up. Seems as if in this case spell check is spot on.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Take no notice of negative and condescending feedback. You make your own mind up. Get your money and your immigration status sorted. Stay relaxed and calm and see what happens.

if you have an agreement with a company or individual it is always prudent to fulfill that agreement. Otherwise you will be in breach of that agreement and unsure of the consequences.

Adult life is about being responsible for yourself.

Good luck and stay positive.

• Like 2