Big rain ubon

sammycic

Here in Surin, Umphur Sangkha area we have had some 20 hours of heavy rain, driving back from Buachet there was minor flooding near Bahn Sa Nob and Bahn Dom. However the fun began upon reaching the junction to get to Sangkha town.

At the traffic lights by the police post, water about half a metre deep and about a quarter of a metre deep as one left the crossroad and drove into Sangkha,

Returning from Sangkha via a back road from Sangkha school to get to our village the side road was flooded and a couple of fallen trees made it a much more interesting trip too. Village not too bad as we are on a bit higher ground.

Still raining stair rods now, reckon getting the sprogs to school and me to work tomorrow could be an interesting drive or surfing trip. Well at least the Isuzu Hilander sits high above the highway so hopefully all will be well the morrow

Here in Surin, Umphur Sangkha area we have had some 20 hours of heavy rain, driving back from Buachet there was minor flooding near Bahn Sa Nob and Bahn Dom. However the fun began upon reaching the junction to get to Sangkha town.

At the traffic lights by the police post, water about half a metre deep and about a quarter of a metre deep as one left the crossroad and drove into Sangkha,

Returning from Sangkha via a back road from Sangkha school to get to our village the side road was flooded and a couple of fallen trees made it a much more interesting trip too. Village not too bad as we are on a bit higher ground.

Still raining stair rods now, reckon getting the sprogs to school and me to work tomorrow could be an interesting drive or surfing trip. Well at least the Isuzu Hilander sits high above the highway so hopefully all will be well the morrow

How are things round that way today? I have to drive from Surin to Sisaket {via Sangka] then down the 24.. It has stopped raining here in Surin but a lot of water about, it's up to our knees in our village, but hear it is much deeper through Surin town. Anybody out there!

Pretty bad we have a little water in the lounge and the kitchen however the rest of the house is dry and its a single storey building, the bedrooms are a step up hence they are dry

Luckily our house is on a built up plot, our neighbours though have around a metre of water flowing through there house. the village is flooded from a metre plus down to 25cm. Seems as if this is the first time in some 50 years this has happened.

Sangkha very deep in water in a number of places plus debris and the odd fallen tree or two to make it even more fun to navigate the highway

Main highway 24 flooded in parts. Seems as if Surin town is as you say Phusingpete somewhat soggy to say the least. School for sprogs and work for me a no no. Drive in garden is about 25 cm deep in water, reverse out onto the village road and it's a metre+ in depth

Best of luck in your journey today Phusingpete.

I ambitiously tried to get from Ubon to Korat via the Highway 24 this morning (7AM).

Despite it being like driving on the Florida Keys causeways, all was well until hitting KhuKhan, Sisaket where we had to detour through the town itself.

Thought that through Surin and Buri Ram provinces would be the same so headed back. Delayed the trip one week. The waters in these flooded areas will probably take a while to subside.

Very, very sad for the rice farmers whose crops are probably ruined, just within days of harvesting.

Good Luck anyone else out there!!

Having heard earlier via phone concerning flooding in Sangkha I now hear from our village Pu Yai who with other village officials tried to reach Sangkha that the road is washed out between our village Bahn Phu and Sangkha. seems as if there is a similar situation going the other way to Chong Chom too although yet to be confirmed.

Steady drizzle at the moment and water still retaining the same level, going to get worse I think before it gets better.

Just returned after a bad drive from Lahansai - Nangrong (some flooding but not too bad), then the 24 to Prasart, (not too bad), then right towards Kap Choeng where there were bad floods for about 5 miles. After that, more or less clear. One benefit though, no queue at immigration to do the 90 day report.

Normally I use the 224 but decided not to risk it, so took the longer route. Anyone know what the 224 is like?

I live in Surin and I can vouch that this must have been a once in a lifetime flood. We had 279.5mm of rain in the 24 hour period up to 0700 20 Sep 13. Previously, I have seen a little over 100mm in a 24 hour period and that was only twice a couple of years ago. The day before yesterday's downpour left large swathes of the countryside under water. We are stranded in our villa within the village which now sits on its own private island. The village is on elevated land some 2 meters higher than the surrounding area. However, the soi outside the house was flooded with 20cm of water, lapping up the drive to the front veranda. To the rear of our house was a scenic view over the rice paddies - its now a very large lake as far as the eye can see. I know this is at least two meters deep, especially behind our back garden wall. Its kind of scary to look out over the lake and wonder what will happen if the heavy rains come again tonight. Can't see the farmers saving any rice crops this year. The main road, the 226, was a waterway, a river in flood. Apart from some big lorries and army trucks ferrying people around it was too deep for the smaller pickups and cars. One area of town had to be evacuated by the Army by boats in the early hours of the morning. Water was half way up their living room walls and still rising. Fortunately, the rain eased off during the day and flood levels are beginning to recede. Don't get me wrong, we still have a very deep lake at the back of the house and the main 226 is still in flood and impassable for the smaller pickups and cars. However, the roads in our elevated village now only have puddles rather than rivers 20cm deep. Maybe we will be able to break out in the morning to buy some fresh food and supplies.

Took a few pics of the water on the west side of Ubon. The picture with Ratchathani University in the background is where the ring road is the lowest. That little road in the picture runs parallel with the ring road for a little ways and is almost equal in elevation. My guess is that about 1-1.5 meter higher and the ring road will be covered but passable. The bridges are higher than that section of road. Any idea if the water is rising or falling right now?

post-103222-0-78375800-1380366033_thumb.post-103222-0-79204100-1380366036_thumb.post-103222-0-69823400-1380366039_thumb.post-103222-0-09873000-1380366043_thumb.post-103222-0-15231500-1380366046_thumb.post-103222-0-49631000-1380366049_thumb.

Edited by ubonrthai

In Ubon the lower bridge across the Mun River to Warin which passes the island is now closed. The water is rising. Water is now being released from the Ubon Rat Dam at Namphong Khon Kaen. This water flows down the Namphong river into the Chi river and into the Mun river. I expect this water to reach Ubon about October 10-12. Water is probably being released from the big dam Lat Bao in Kalasin.

It is the water release from these dams that has caused October flooding in Ubon over the years such as 1978, 1983, 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2011. Whenever we have serious flooding in Ubon there are bright sunny days because the rains have finished, we are starting the dry season but we have to cope with the upstream water coming through the city. There is absolutely no water management, no catchment boards and no responsibility taken for the flooding which could be reduced given the experience over the years.

• Like 2

Bridge M.7 is the Mun River water level at the 4 lane bridge downtown Ubon. M.182 is a bridge over the Mun between Sisaket and Kantararom at 15° 7'57.79"N, 104°29'17.30"E.

http://www.hydro-4.com/Daily/hourly-MUN3.htm

Below is a comparison of the current water level from previous floods in 2011, 2004 and 2002.

attachicon.gif1381223_635529006486989_1448585769_n-1.jpg

Good information. The water is rising and will rise even more once the upcountry water from the Chi river reaches the Mun river in the next few days. The cyclone coming may not dump rain into Sisaket and Ubon but will further north and then the water flows downstream into these two provinces. I wonder if all the gates at the Pak Mun dam are open? They should be.

I am very sorry to read of all your problems and i have seen flooding within a 50 kl radius of Mukdahan with golf courses that are now lakes and rivers. What i can't figure is that the Mekong River here is quite low. I can stand in my back yard and look down at the mud flat river bank and the river is still dropping. It is a good 12 to 15 metres lower than i have seen it in past years when there was not this amount of rain, very strange. So Mukdahan is high and dry. I hope you all get through it without to much damage to your properties and houses.all the best.