Makro's frozen fish cheaper than local

jaideeguy

250 Bht/kilo ? I always buy the frozen Pangasius, which is basically the same as Dory and what you get in the fish and chips menu's, at 115 Bht/kg.

I think it's fine for me.

I agree. i have tried the pollock but found it to have a strong taste.

Have used the dory as a fried fish (in beer batter) and poached in lime and chillies. I would prefer Atlantic cod but the dory taste is acceptable and the price extremely good value for 4 good sized bplah.

i have had the frozen cobba,pollack and the giant sea perch,after thawing you are lucky to get a third of a kilo of flesh and that looks like a dish cloth.anyone knows if they have anything decent on their fresh counter.the pollack was the best but no taste.

I love the frozen Pacific Dory sold at Friendship. 70 baht for two large fillets. Flavor is exceptional. Saute in very little olive oil, squeeze fresh lemon over it along with some Lawry's Lemon Pepper Seasoning, both sides, and enjoy. No need for tartar sauce, just delicious.

I love the frozen Pacific Dory sold at Friendship. 70 baht for two large fillets. Flavor is exceptional. Saute in very little olive oil, squeeze fresh lemon over it along with some Lawry's Lemon Pepper Seasoning, both sides, and enjoy. No need for tartar sauce, just delicious.

i used to buy the pacific named dory at home fresh it was more than double the price of the farmed one but much superior in taste.

Thanks for sharing, will surely try it. I used to buy Pangasius at Big C for a while last year, stopped buying it due to a lot of bad press about this fish in my home country, they were specifically talking about Pangasius from Vietnam which is the one available at Big C at the time.

Edited by Fabiobkk

While pangasius dory has become quite popular among consumers and street diners due to its good flavour, yet low price, at the same time the imported fish is claimed to be fed with animal carcasses and to have worms, causing adverse effects on consumers' health.

In other words, we want to protect our own market, and distribute some drivel in the hope it will result in customers buying more local produce.

How does one control what non-farmed fish has been eating ?

I bet this Makro fish is imported from Chinawink.png . The carrots sold at Makro, at least a few years ago, were imported from China. I saw it on the boxes they were stocking the counter with at Makro Chang Wattana several years ago. Beware anything from China food wise at least.

I think those Pangasius fillets are a waste of time, especially for a beer batter. The fish is just too wet and a sloppy consistency regardless how much you try to dry it out before cooking. I buy the Barramundi from Makro, it's not cheap at 399B but it's a nice white meaty fish ideal for battering or to marrinade and shallow fry. I tried the Grouper last week (189B IIRC) but wasn't keen as it was quite chewy and strong in taste.

• Like 1

Pangasius is trash fish and the reason why i do not eat fish at any restaurant now.

Agree........just look at the water they thrive in and the farming practices of the Vietnamese on the mouth of the Mekong river where industrial and human waste pollution gets dumped into the sea.

watch this youtube video and tell me if you still prefer pangasius/dory??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoVgveiZO0

I'll take cold deep water fish even at 2x the price, thank you.........

• Like 1

i have had the frozen cobba,pollack and the giant sea perch,after thawing you are lucky to get a third of a kilo of flesh and that looks like a dish cloth.anyone knows if they have anything decent on their fresh counter.the pollack was the best but no taste.

Perhaps you know already, but the best way to defrost fish is in the refrigerator. It takes fore-planning and more time, but it's well worth it for the superior taste over the quick defrosted.

Edited by HerbalEd

Pangasius is trash fish and the reason why i do not eat fish at any restaurant now.

You do know that every fish sold in restaurants is not pangasius, right? Why not go to a restaurant where you can actually see the whole fish ... packed in ice ... and pick out the one you want? If you don't know already, you can easily find the tips for selecting good quality fresh fish with a google search.

I grew up on he Chesapeake Bay so I learned the skill as a boy. Also, my Thai wife ran her own restaurant for ten years and is very adept at shopping for the best quality veggies, fish, shrimp, etc. I love to see her work the early morning green and seafood markets, and the way she skillfully, but politely, negotiates with the vendors for the best quality and the best price. She's a master.

We've just moved into a new home on the beach in Bang Saray, so now we can buy our seafood directly from the fishing boats just outside our door.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

leave it on a wire rack over a tray to drain, we leave it in the fridge for a few hours, improves the texture a lot.

I've bought this brand from Makro Krabi for a couple of years on and off but they are gaps, sometimes months apart in the supply chain so well stocking up when it's available. Pollack although a nice fish needs very careful cooking since it breaks up very easy. Back in the UK it's used for making fish fingers and held together with a good measure of binder. Sometimes you may also see Emborg Pacific Cod and this is good. make sure there's not a thick crust of ice around Makro's frozen offerings since they frequently fail to keep the products in a frozen state but allow them to thaw and then re-freeze. A sort of Mai Pen Rai!

• Like 1

Makro also has frozen 'hoki'.............the fish that McDonalds uses for their fish sandwich and it is caught in the cold deep waters between NZ and Australia. Good mild tasting firm but flakey flesh. The only thing that I will eat at McD's, but wish they would put a little lettuce on it.

• Like 1

I grew up on he Chesapeake Bay so I learned the skill as a boy. .

Hey, I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay too -- small world. Hello.

Edited by FangFerang

250 Bht/kilo ? I always buy the frozen Pangasius, which is basically the same as Dory and what you get in the fish and chips menu's, at 115 Bht/kg.

I think it's fine for me.

He makes a mistake. I am buying that frozen fish filets because it is a very good deal and very tasty. The correct price is 85THB/kilo....and I hope Makro will keep in selling it. Try frying it with a mixture of tempura powder and eggs. Arroyyyyyyy....

I think those Pangasius fillets are a waste of time, especially for a beer batter. The fish is just too wet and a sloppy consistency regardless how much you try to dry it out before cooking. I buy the Barramundi from Makro, it's not cheap at 399B but it's a nice white meaty fish ideal for battering or to marrinade and shallow fry. I tried the Grouper last week (189B IIRC) but wasn't keen as it was quite chewy and strong in taste.

does the barramundi come under a diff.name [giant sea perch] i have looked for the expensive one but to no avail.

thanks guys regarding defrosting.