Help with UK visitor visa application

Hi,

I want to make an application for a UK Visitor visa for my Thai girlfriend. We met online and have only known each other for 5 months. She gave up her job at the end of July. Her boss has given her a 6 month break because she would like to visit the UK with me and her boss is prepared to write a letter to state that she will re-employ her at the end of that period. She has about 30,000 baht in the bank and owns land from which she receives a very small income. She is clearly a respectable person though she speaks little English (possibly makes her even more respectable LOL).

I have a letter of sponsorship from my mother in UK along with bank statements and passport copy. My mother owns a property in the UK where my girlfriend and I would stay. I have lived in Thailand for more than 20 years, have several million baht in liquid assets here in Thailand and substantial liquid assets in the UK. I am UK non-resident, spending about 48 weeks a year in Thailand. I suppose I could be classed a sponsor too as I am prepared to pay for all her expenses and her air ticket

We would like to visit my mother for 6 months (but suspect we had better apply for 3 months) with a view to taking care of her as she is very elderly.

Would this be a straightforward application that we could carry out ourselves? I have read all sorts of stories here about visa application failures and I am wondering whether I should employ a visa service. I have gone through the UKBA visa questionnaire and was hoping to submit the application online.

What documents should I provide in support of my application? What about the air ticket? I stated that I would pay for that but does the Embassy need to actually see a ticket? Why would I buy her a ticket before she's got a visa?

I have a lot of doubts as to the success of her application. Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

pasak

Nobody can tell you if your girlfriend's application will be successful or not. Similarly, using an agent has to be your choice. From what you have said, it seems that you have doubts about the visa being issued, so it might be better for you to use an agent who has experience in these applications. But, even using an agent doesn't guarantee that the visa will be issued, despite what some agents will tell you !

The length of your relationship is not necessarily as much of a problem as you may think. It is important, of course, but it is the strength of the relationship that the visa officer will be looking at.

There are a lot of questions that spring to mind just from what you have written. For instance, you met on the internet 5 months ago, but when did you meet in person, and how often do you meet ? Do you maybe live together now ? If you want to contact Paul at Thai Visa Express ( the contact details are on the website - just click on the avatar on the left), he will give you a free assessment. At least you will then know if your girlfriend has a reasonable chance at getting the visa. It will then be your choice to use an agent or not.

• Like 1

There is nothing difficult in doing the Visit Visa application yourself. Read the many threads on here on the topic.

As a starter I would make the following points:-

- You need to show that the relationship is genuine. Provide as many photo's together over the 5 month period plus receipts for travel, hotels, visits etc.

- Everyone will tell you that overriding requirement is that she demonstrates "reasons to return to Thailand".

- If you are financing the visit, you need to provide proof of funds.

- You have to make the application on line, then you print out a hard copy which she takes to the VFS in Regent House when she submits the documents.

- Do remember that it is her application, not yours.

- If you have read the UKBA on-line advice, you will see that they recommend that you do not purchase an air ticket before the application has been approved.

Good luck

• Like 2

Thank you Rawhod.

I can and will supply photos following your recommendation. But the photos are just pics of the two of us that could have been taken at any time. I don't really see what they would prove. As for receipts etc I have my own car, stay at home and avoid hotels. We have either stayed with family or friends so there would be nothing supportive there. I bought her a bicycle and could go to the shop and get a receipt for that. She crashed my car so I could go to the car body shop and get a receipt for that. Somewhat absurd really. I could supply a copy of a list of our emails.

I note from the questionnaire that all supporting documents should be noted on the application. Does that mean that I should note photos, emails, receipts along with my other documents or would it be enough for her to take such minor items along with her to the interview.

I take it that any documents written in Thai should be translated into English. They don't demand that the translation is done by a qualified translator, just by a body that is identifiable - anyone basically who can give their name and phone number. Is that correct?

Thank you for the info regarding the air ticket and for reminding me that it is her application, not mine. I had actually considered that last point.

And thank you once again for your help.

pasak

That's good advice as the main concern is to convince the decision maker that she will return to Thailand.

Unlikely to be granted a visa for the full 6 months though.

She was thinking of applying for 3 months as I doubted they would give her a visa if she asked for 6 months. The visa would of course be for 6 months though she is well advised to stay for no more than the stated 3 months. That's as I understand it.

pasak

That's good advice as the main concern is to convince the decision maker that she will return to Thailand.

She was thinking of applying for 3 months as I doubted they would give her a visa if she asked for 6 months. The visa would of course be for 6 months though she is well advised to stay for no more than the stated 3 months. That's as I understand it.

pasak

I did our applications without an agent, but made some basic (and obvious when you look back) errors on the first application so it was refused. We had applied for the full 6 months, but it was lack of financial support evidence and lack of regular contact evidence that were the main points raised in the refusal.

By the time we re-applied we kept the return date virtually the same so the overall stay was reduced to what will have been 16 weeks when we fly back together on 5th October. For the re-application (which by the way you have to pay again for), we filled in all the gaps in our proof of relationship and her visa was approved.

Her reason to return was limited to us marrying in Thailand in October, unlike your girlfriend she had no job (as she'd given it up and moved home after we met), no savings and owned no land, but that didn't stop us getting her visa.

• Like 1

pasak

I did our applications without an agent, but made some basic (and obvious when you look back) errors on the first application so it was refused. We had applied for the full 6 months, but it was lack of financial support evidence and lack of regular contact evidence that were the main points raised in the refusal.

By the time we re-applied we kept the return date virtually the same so the overall stay was reduced to what will have been 16 weeks when we fly back together on 5th October. For the re-application (which by the way you have to pay again for), we filled in all the gaps in our proof of relationship and her visa was approved.

Her reason to return was limited to us marrying in Thailand in October, unlike your girlfriend she had no job (as she'd given it up and moved home after we met), no savings and owned no land, but that didn't stop us getting her visa.

Thanks Garry.

I think I'd have no problems with the financial aspect. It is the brevity and lack of evidence of our relationship that stands out. We are currently living quietly together 24/7. That should be the perfect grounding for a good relationship but there is no evidence to support it.

Well done for getting the visa on your second attempt. You must be looking forward to coming back now that the cold weather is approaching.

pasak

I sent two emails to Thai Visa Express and never received the courtesy of a reply - form your own judgement on that!!

Well, that would be unusual. PM me copies of both of the emails, and I'll look into it. And please send both of the original emails again, so that we can check if they were received.

I sent two emails to Thai Visa Express and never received the courtesy of a reply - form your own judgement on that!!

I spoke to them on the phone last week for the first time and found Paul very helpful indeed. Maybe you should give them a call...................................

Would someone please comment on some further points I have raised in this reply to Rawhod. Thanks in advance.

pasak.

"I can and will supply photos following your recommendation. But the photos are just pics of the two of us that could have been taken at any time. I don't really see what they would prove. As for receipts etc I have my own car, stay at home and avoid hotels. We have either stayed with family or friends so there would be nothing supportive there. I bought her a bicycle and could go to the shop and get a receipt for that. She crashed my car so I could go to the car body shop and get a receipt for that. Somewhat absurd really. I could supply a copy of a list of our emails.

I note from the questionnaire that all supporting documents should be noted on the application. Does that mean that I should note photos, emails, receipts along with my other documents or would it be enough for her to take such minor items along with her to the interview.

I take it that any documents written in Thai should be translated into English. They don't demand that the translation is done by a qualified translator, just by a body that is identifiable - anyone basically who can give their name and phone number. Is that correct?

Thank you for the info regarding the air ticket and for reminding me that it is her application, not mine. I had actually considered that last point.

And thank you once again for your help.''

Any opinion or advice greatly appreciated.

What documents should I provide in support of my application? What about the air ticket? I stated that I would pay for that but does the Embassy need to actually see a ticket? Why would I buy her a ticket before she's got a visa?

The VFS actually advise you not to buy a ticket until your application is approved.

As you wouldn't want your application to be refused on a small point I'd recommend getting the translations done by a proper translator. There are loads who advertise online in Bangkok.

When I took my niece to the UK for a holiday I had to get signed permission from her parents for her to travel done at the local government offices. After i got the permission I went online and found that the US embassy had a small list of translators/photographers for the application photos that they suggested to try. I went to one, got the paperwork translated, they stamped it with their company stamp, signed it, dated it and gave their phone number. All plain sailing. 400 baht.

Over the years I've used various translators around the embassy area for numerous things and never had a problem with any of their work being rejected.

• Like 1

The VFS actually advise you not to buy a ticket until your application is approved.

As you wouldn't want your application to be refused on a small point I'd recommend getting the translations done by a proper translator. There are loads who advertise online in Bangkok.

When I took my niece to the UK for a holiday I had to get signed permission from her parents for her to travel done at the local government offices. After i got the permission I went online and found that the US embassy had a small list of translators/photographers for the application photos that they suggested to try. I went to one, got the paperwork translated, they stamped it with their company stamp, signed it, dated it and gave their phone number. All plain sailing. 400 baht.

Over the years I've used various translators around the embassy area for numerous things and never had a problem with any of their work being rejected.

Thanks for your advice mca. If the translation is iro 400 baht I won't worry about the cost. I am used to seeing absurd prices such as Bht 1,500 per page. Thanks also re the air ticket.

I am currently preparing a "History of relationship with supporting evidence". Will include receipts, photos, email history, visa stamps etc. Various contributors have mentioned this as being of importance, especially as we have not known each other too long.

Any more advice gratefully received.

pasak

Does anyone know whether when providing Thai bank statements, is it adequate to photocopy pages from the savings book or should one present statements that have been prepared by the bank (at a cost that I believe to be Bht 100 per statement)?

Another question. Does the applicant need to provide a biometric profile if they are applying for a 6 month visitor visa? I looked on the UKBA website but couldn't work out whether this is necessary for this type of visa.

pasak

The biometric details (fingerprints etc) will be taken by the staff when your girlfriend hands in the visa application at the VFS Centre.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

- If photocopies they should at least be stamped and signed by the bank to give them some credence

- I would have thought that the chanote alone would be ok, maybe just add a note to say where and what it refers to.

- May help to specify the period you want the visa for in a covering letter eg. Middle April to end of June rather than leave it to be

assumed the full 6 months is being requested. If the letter from her boss can include this as well as stating she will have a job to return to it will help considerably.

Edited by thomasteve
  • Like 1

Thank you Thomasteve.

On the subject of the covering letter, she is going to ask her boss (a female dentist) to supply a letter to exactly that effect. Her boss has stated that she expects her to return by 1st Feb 2014.

Her boss speaks English (possibly Tinglish!) so I suppose that letter can be written in Tinglish and her boss will then have to respond in Tinglish if the Embassy call her for confirmation.

My girlfriend, by contrast, hardly speaks a word of English and is terrified by the prospect of a one on one interview with Embassy staff. She will be armed with all these documents written in English, not understanding a word (although she understands the concept of course).

Is that an acceptable situation or will they expect her to understand every word that has been written?

pasak

I followed this link [snip] and applied for my first visit visa for my TGF and the advice of many on this forum of telling the truth and got a 6 month visa approved first time, it was done within 14 days and collected in BKK, i was of the same mind set as you and didnt want to ask for 6 months as i thought it was pushing it so i said her anticipated time of stay was from 3 - 6 months as if you say 3 and stay for 6 it could cause future problems, i said that the time she stayed depended on how comfortable she was in the UK.

I totally agree with Rawhod, there is nothing extra that an agent can do except relieve you of your hard earned, DIY my friend tell the truth keep it simple and provide all docs

Best of luck

Edited by theoldgit
Link to another forum removed.
  • Like 1

Thank you buzzz51, I think I read that link too. What a good idea of yours to apply for 3-6 months. I may well do the same.

As for agents, I just cannot understand why they are charging so much money. I mean, if you'd done this malarky dozens of times before, it'd be a walk in the park. I've had quotes of 12 - 25,000 baht from agents. Frankly I find it disgusting that they are exploiting people's hopes dreams in this way.

Thank you buzzz51, I think I read that link too. What a good idea of yours to apply for 3-6 months. I may well do the same.

As for agents, I just cannot understand why they are charging so much money. I mean, if you'd done this malarky dozens of times before, it'd be a walk in the park. I've had quotes of 12 - 25,000 baht from agents. Frankly I find it disgusting that they are exploiting people's hopes dreams in this way.

You are most welcome, we have left the UK now and have spent the last 8 months in Turkey, we will soon be going back to Thailand for the winter here, dont let the forms frighten you i was very very surprised at how simple and to be honest how fair the process was, if the applicant is genuine you will get a visa, my situation was not to different to yours i was living in hong kong when we met and my mother had to write in and prove her finances for me as i had no UK bank account, i told the truth and turned my back on the so called agents (Dick Turpin's) that play on the fact of a complicated system (it is not).

If i can help you in any way please feel free to contact me, not sure if theres a PM on here but if there is feel free, the Thailand-UK website guided me through the whole process i use the same username on there you may want to read some of my dilemmas and answers from others.

Best of luck

Sorry for the delay in responding again. We are currently in the UK on our third visa...

- When the application is submitted at the VFS, you need to include originals such as bank books, chanotes, house book, birth certificates, divorce certificates etc (together with photocopies). I have always bulldog clipped these together. The officer receiving the documents has checked them and returned them to my wife (if they don't, then she should ask for them back)

- There is no interview, it is just a submission of documents and taking of bio-data (fingerprints and photo), the staff at VFS speak Thai and English.

- We have always just submitted documents in Thai without a problem.

- The standard Visit Visa is valid for 6 months from date of issue, you can ask for it to be post dated up to 3 months. However, it is prudent to keep the visit to the duration that you state in the application.

- You can request for the documents and passport to be sent back to her by EMS (for about 300 baht)

- If your camera doesn't date stamp the photo's, write the location and date on the reverse. They show that you have been together for the period you state. (include a BIG note with the photo's to say they are dated on the back), The ECO didn't look at the back of our photo's in our first application and commented that they were not dated (I failed to point it out). Photo's of your mothers house would also help.

- I always write a supporting letter which outlines our relationship so-far and our intentions for the future. Mine extends to 3 or 4 pages and we have been successful in our last three applications

Sorry if this reply is a bit jumbled.

You state that you have a few million Baht and also sufficirnt funds in the UK so why not appoint an agent, it may cost about THB 20,000 but really that is small money to save all these questions and not knowing if you are doing it correct thing. Agents know how to get approval, just make sure you appoint the correct one an I am sure you can get help with that. I used two agents, firstly just for a tourist visa and thet schooled her on the questions she would be asked, it all went very well and although we only asked for a months visa we got 6 months as per normal. After we got married in athailand I used another agent as it was more convenient and she also the visa without difficulties. Yes it is cheaper to do by yourself but if you have the money why bother?

You state that you have a few million Baht and also sufficirnt funds in the UK so why not appoint an agent, it may cost about THB 20,000 but really that is small money to save all these questions and not knowing if you are doing it correct thing. Agents know how to get approval, just make sure you appoint the correct one an I am sure you can get help with that. I used two agents, firstly just for a tourist visa and thet schooled her on the questions she would be asked, it all went very well and although we only asked for a months visa we got 6 months as per normal. After we got married in athailand I used another agent as it was more convenient and she also the visa without difficulties. Yes it is cheaper to do by yourself but if you have the money why bother?

They always give 6 months regardless of how many months you ask for. But they expect you to stay for the length of time you state on your application.

Thanks for your advice but I object to the extortionate rates that agents charge for relatively menial work.

They always give 6 months regardless of how many months you ask for. But they expect you to stay for the length of time you state on your application.

Thanks for your advice but I object to the extortionate rates that agents charge for relatively menial work.

I have no experience of using an agent. We managed OK without but a reality check is not a bad idea. You are paying for experience when you pay an agent/lawyer/medical advisor etc etc. You do not pay just for the form to be filled in!

If you are happy doing it yourself then save money. If you are not confident then pay an expert to do it for you. Do not expect expertise to come cheap, it does not!

After my girlfriend was granted the vias they asked her to sign a letter to say she would only remain in the UK for the time she had requested. I was disappointed seeing she had a 6 months visa stamped in her passport. When in the UK I contacted the Uk immigration and and asked why she had a 6 months visa but was expected to return after one month. The Officer laughed and said ignore all but what is in the passport if she has a 6 months stamp thats is what she got. I said we were worried that she had signed a letter to say she would return after one month and we did not want future problems. He repeated that we have 6 months and that is what we should go by and there would be no future problems unless she exceeded the 6 months. I think the letter was just ot put moral pressure on her to return and nothing else.

As Pasak correctly pointed out you do not pay for the time to fill out a form your are paying for expertise and that costs. For sure many do the application on their own and are successful however many are not. If you do not have surplus funds then a self application is necessary. In your case you have funds but if you want to be a "Cheap Charlie" and run the risk of refusal go ahead and do it on your own, I hope you will be succesfull and I hope you will be happy with the money you have saved in not using an agent, but if the application is refused....? Your choice!

Edited by Billmont
  • Like 1