Hand Rolling Baccy in Phuket

steveb47

There are some nice Thai versions, small packets sold in every mom & pop shop at five baht for 25 gms. My favorite has a small black cat on the packet with a green band below a health warning picture of a diseased lung.

You can buy imported bacci but it's comparatively 10 times the price.

The Thais' have a local version of pretty much everything you can buy in the west just different packaging, possibly less additives and 1/3 western price.

Have fun looking - you can ask in Thai like this - Me ya sen maew dam, chai mai? Have tobacco, cat black, yes, no?

If you want to ask about Golden Virginia or western hand rolling tobacco in a store. Say - me (do you have) ya sen (tobacco) falang (western) mai (question)

Edited by Phuket electrician
  • Like 1

Supercheap main branch has a wide selection; enter at your own risk.

"Enter at your own risk" please enlighten me .....

Super Cheap is a giant fire hazard just waiting to happen

It also has a unique smell. It's hard to describe. Maybe a cross between old frying oil, urine, and ?????

• Like 2

C'mon. I thought sub's reply was funny.

It's not that bad. It's a huge hall and should be an location and experience which everyone should visit. During the high season it can be really hot. It's also occasionally good location for bird watching, the flying ones to be exact.

Anyway, if there would be a fire, there are many ways to escape. The ceiling would not last long and the fumes would escape out.

Hmm, I think I'll visit there soon. Good material for a blog :) Anyway that's the only location I know where to buy the effective tick poison for the cats.

Edited by Guest

Supercheap main branch has a wide selection; enter at your own risk.

"Enter at your own risk" please enlighten me .....

Super Cheap is a giant fire hazard just waiting to happen

It also has a unique smell. It's hard to describe. Maybe a cross between old frying oil, urine, and ?????

Bird crap

• Like 1

My view is that it is one of the best shops in Phuket.

Where your average Thai goes shopping. It is a little funky. But opens at 6am and smells very healthy at that time.

The Thais refer to it as Burma Paragon. (A sarcastic reference to the high so shopping centre in Bangkok Siam Paragon) They dont like shopping there.

• Like 1

Sorry the reference to Burma is that the unskilled staff are Burmese. The cashiers are Thai graduates, most of which are very fit and nice looking. There is also an excellent IT shop near the exit. A third of the price of similar outlets.

Scoff at supercheap if you have money to throw away. They openly sell knock off gear that ends up on Soi Bangla for 20 x the original price.

Without being c**tish I highly recommend it. Good selection of Alcohol and tobacco.

Sorry the reference to Burma is that the unskilled staff are Burmese. The cashiers are Thai graduates, most of which are very fit and nice looking. There is also an excellent IT shop near the exit. A third of the price of similar outlets.  

Scoff at supercheap if you have money to throw away. They openly sell knock off gear that ends up on Soi Bangla for 20 x the original price.

Without being c**tish I highly recommend it. Good selection of Alcohol and tobacco. 

Where did I say that Thais dont work there? I stated Thais dont like shopping there. Do you really think Khun Ying prefers scraping around for 50 satang savings on a drum of palm oil, in a smelly wharehouse full of bird crap with rats running between the aisles? Or do you reckon she would prefer to be swanning through Jung Ceylon with her boyfriends credit card?

• Like 1

There are some nice Thai versions, small packets sold in every mom & pop shop at five baht for 25 gms. My favorite has a small black cat on the packet with a green band below a health warning picture of a diseased lung.

You can buy imported bacci but it's comparatively 10 times the price.

The Thais' have a local version of pretty much everything you can buy in the west just different packaging, possibly less additives and 1/3 western price.

Have fun looking - you can ask in Thai like this - Me ya sen maew dam, chai mai? Have tobacco, cat black, yes, no?

If you want to ask about Golden Virginia or western hand rolling tobacco in a store. Say - me (do you have) ya sen (tobacco) falang (western) mai (question)

Thanks for the info. I could get GV in Songkhla for 290. I know that is way above say Black Cat/Green Cat? But 50g GV in UK 14 GBP!!!!
  • Like 1

TV is a forum for sharing ideas, empirical knowledge and fun anecdotes. Where to buy GV and other brands of tobacco is the topic and one can assume the OP sought relevant suggestions and some level headed members have contributed. Hand rolling baccy is widely available in Phuket. A rollie smoker can shop around to find a source and it may help to be able to ask for it in the local language and not some irrelevant drivel. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

TV is a forum for sharing ideas, empirical knowledge and fun anecdotes. Where to buy GV and other brands of tobacco is the topic and one can assume the OP sought relevant suggestions and some level headed members have contributed. Hand rolling baccy is widely available in Phuket. A rollie smoker can shop around to find a source and it may help to be able to ask for it in the local language and not some irrelevant drivel. Posted Image

I missed the irrelevant drivel lol.

I thank all of you with helpful (and relevant) suggestions and info

:)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The tobacconist at fisherman's way Rawai has a wide range of rolling tabacco.

Not sure about your brand but they are definitely imported with the tax seal on them.

Had a look for this place today but no joy.

Where is it close to and where is Fishermans Walk?

Thanks

Not sure about your brand but they are definitely imported with the tax seal on them.

Thanks

On the Rawai side of the circle. Just past the tesco on the left.

People get the two mixed up as there is one on either side of the circle both named fisherman's

Thanks

People get the two mixed up as there is one on either side of the circle both named fisherman's

Thanks found it today and they do sell GV. Btw it is the first cigar shop on the left not the one on the far side - that's for the benefit of others that may try to find it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Thanks found it today and they do sell GV. Btw it is the first cigar shop on the left not the one on the far side - that's for the benefit of others that may try to find it.
As a further update that first tobacco shop has closed down!!!

The one on the far side which is also a wine shop sells Russian baccy and Cuban cigars only. No UK brands at all.

Now Supercheap has gone I will fave to locate another source.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK further update in the hope it may help others.

The tobacco shop within Rossovino at Rawai sells an UK brand called Auld Kendal. I tried it and it is ok.

I found GV on my doorstep in Kamala! In the 7/11 on the left as you travel from Patong. The one just before the first set of traffic lights about 3 shops before Chez Ratoutoille, hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The tobacco shop within Rossovino at Rawai sells an UK brand called Auld Kendal. I tried it and it is ok.

I found GV on my doorstep in Kamala! In the 7/11 on the left as you travel from Patong. The one just before the first set of traffic lights about 3 shops before Chez Ratoutoille, hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip steve! I went by kamala 711 to grab some of that this morning.

Also for anyone else looking for GV or other rolling tobaccos, there is a store close to phuket town that has a great selection. Its on chaofah west about halfway between the night market intersection and the next intersection south. It is on the west side of the highway. I cant remember what its called because i just call it the import store, but the sign on the road is one of the green ones that says 'pharmacy' in white in english and thai. They have a fantastic selection of tobaccos, papers, tips, cigarillos, rollers and the like. They also have a great selection of hard-to-find western items, grocery and otherwise, bulk items, liquor and wine. Things are generally less than or the same price as at other spots. Its a good stand in for the late supercheap (RIP) for many hard to find items.

Thanks for the tip steve! I went by kamala 711 to grab some of that this morning.

Also for anyone else looking for GV or other rolling tobaccos, there is a store close to phuket town that has a great selection. Its on chaofah west about halfway between the night market intersection and the next intersection south. It is on the west side of the highway. I cant remember what its called because i just call it the import store, but the sign on the road is one of the green ones that says 'pharmacy' in white in english and thai. They have a fantastic selection of tobaccos, papers, tips, cigarillos, rollers and the like. They also have a great selection of hard-to-find western items, grocery and otherwise, bulk items, liquor and wine. Things are generally less than or the same price as at other spots. Its a good stand in for the late supercheap (RIP) for many hard to find items.

Oh yeah, further instruction: its right net to House & Home hardware store

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

OK I need to revive this topic as all of the above sources of GV "no have" !!!

It appears the whole island of Phuket is a GV Free Zone unless someone can tell me different !!! N

Hi. Baccy is hand rolling, shag, or loose tobacco? If yes, you can get it at the mini mart on the beach road in Kamala. They have ??? I think I saw Black cat...or something like that. Is that the stuff?

Prompan?