Bangkok/thai Car Auctions

johnfb

Make sure you have a work permit and that it is relevant to car dealing.I have been approached at Manheim by a thai asking if I was there to buy more cars because he'd seen me buy the previous week.Apparently there have been occasions when the imigration police turn up,I wonder who might have rung them !!!!.

Make sure you have a work permit and that it is relevant to car dealing.I have been approached at Manheim by a thai asking if I was there to buy more cars because he'd seen me buy the previous week.Apparently there have been occasions when the imigration police turn up,I wonder who might have rung them !!!!.

Sounds odd, maybe go with a Thai mate a buy through them. Dodgy cars at all these auction houses, and Manheim won't sell all them Vigos parked there.

Sounds odd, maybe go with a Thai mate a buy through them. Dodgy cars at all these auction houses, and Manheim won't sell all them Vigos parked there.

I've always wondered this when looking thru car mags: where do they get these cars for auction? They sure as heck don't seem like bank repo'ed cars (I mean what bank would repo an 87 Corolla--nothing against the 87 Corolla, but you get my point). Where do the cars come from? Who usually buys them? What if they don't sell? Forgive my ignorance.

teej

"Dodgy cars at all these auction houses"

Yeah, also some well dodgy mileages. Last year I saw a 2004 Sport Rider done 280,000 km, the week after it was in a different auction done 25,000 :o , also seemed nearly everything has been in an accident, even newer cars. IMO prices weren't much lower than in the car magazines.

Cheers,

• 2 years later...

The cars (leasing returns, trade ins etc.) that don't get snapped up before go to auction, i.e. the worst of the worst.

Don't buy there! Unless you are a car buyer professional you will get screwed.

These auctions have shill bidders running up prices and when they see you coming they'll have a field day.

L

I use to living in Hawaii. The same overthere. Only dealers with a license could go to Mannheim auction. Mannheim, the same company with a different name, call Aloha Auction. They are worldwide. But in the states you can see on the papers what you buy, like they have the "real" milage on the clock, green light or redlight cars, salvage titles, etc. In Thailand it's a gambling. you can't test any cars at any auctions, how you know if a automatic transmission is damaged or not? In the states, cars at auctuons are aometimes real cheap, but overhere is see cars, which are maybe only 20'k below the market price. That's aprox the ammount you'll spend more for repairs. Papers (blue book) you get not right away, allways use to wait a couple weeks to clear the book from the finance companies, which gives you a additional troubles if you want to sell the car immidently.

• 5 weeks later...

You don't need to have a work permit to buy cars. You can buy as many as you want. You need a WP if you sell them. But as a foreigner you can't get a work permit which allows you to sell cars. "Shopsales and Driver" is one of the professions, which farangs can't do. But instead of you, a Thailady or a Thai Salesman can sell your car. You don't need a company and a WP for that.

BTW, you can go and take a look. Auctioncars aren't worth to buy in Thailand. Even Manhaim Auction. It's not the same as in the USA. In USA they have dealer auctuions, where only dealers who have a license can buy cars. so the prices aren't to high. They have green ligt and redlight cars (salvage title). So you know what you get for your money. But in Thailand they are all puplic auctions. So everybody can go and bid on the cars. Prices go up and you have no choice to testdrive them. The risk to get f...kct is very high and prices aren't much lower then in the used car tent.

Union Auction, near Lad Prao so far as i remember. The other one was Bangkok Auction. But many Customers end up with never receiving their blue book of the vehicles they bought. So they closed down Bangkok Auction.

A few months ago I chanced upon a "Union Auction" event in the car park of Big C South Pattaya, maybe 40-50 cars and pickups and 75-100 motorbikes. I think the wisest saying in connection with many car auctions, but with particular referance to Thailand is: "At auction not every car is bad but every bad car will be there. "Watching the staff push wrecks (engine no good) through by hand says a lot for the quaility on offer. I would assume that the cars offered at such a public venue are those rejected by the trade buyers.

I've seen static auction sites when I've been driving around the country, never had cause to visit one in action - I assume you will have to pay cash on the spot - then hope that the paperwork does indeed follow afterwards.

A few months ago I chanced upon a "Union Auction" event in the car park of Big C South Pattaya, maybe 40-50 cars and pickups and 75-100 motorbikes. I think the wisest saying in connection with many car auctions, but with particular referance to Thailand is: "At auction not every car is bad but every bad car will be there. "Watching the staff push wrecks (engine no good) through by hand says a lot for the quaility on offer. I would assume that the cars offered at such a public venue are those rejected by the trade buyers.

I've seen static auction sites when I've been driving around the country, never had cause to visit one in action - I assume you will have to pay cash on the spot - then hope that the paperwork does indeed follow afterwards.

if you know what you are doing,no problem, if you dont, forget about the auctions, not all are finance repossesed and anyone can put the cars through the auction just like anywhere in the world. 4 weekdays is the time limit when you have to cough up the remainder of the 10 percent down money. you do not need a wp to purchase

• 2 years later...

Are you saying that a farang has to have a work permit to buy a second hand car? Or only if you a car at an auction?

Are you saying that a farang has to have a work permit to buy a second hand car? Or only if you a car at an auction?

You don't need a WP to buy a second hand car but it helps for address verification which is required, without it you need to get a letter of verification either from your embassy or from Immigration..