Phuket Vegetarian Festival

RAZZELL

The way their eyes roll back into their head - they have to be high on something.

Possibly or just deranged. Self harmers should not be paraded at a religious festival for the entertainment of others.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Come on. Cant there be a little bit more positive attitudes. If you want gay mardi gras, ferris wheels and ferry floss go back home. Remember TIT

Can't really see what is positive about people mutilating themselves for entertainment but each to their own. Seems a rather sad freakshow to me and hardly a positive advertisement for what supposedly is a religious festival.

As for going home, I'm already there, in Kanchanaburi

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You obviously don't understand the reason for the festival. The piercings are definitely not done for "entertainment" even if that is the end result..

Hardly positive advertising for a religious festival? Did you know that all the hotels and guesthouses in Phuket Town were full and that the festival gets bigger each year?

One of the things I have changed my mind during this years festival is what I think of the foods.

I already knew that there is some great foods, like Somtam Thai (gje), but before I did not try the other varieties.

This year I had some very, very good vegetarian foods. These have nothing to do with the fried foods which are widely available. The restaurants around the main am's which are occupied by plenty of white dressed people are simply great. Food is very tasty and often very cheap.

Many people talk how many days they have been on vegetarian diet. I have not tried nor planned to be in one, but just noticed that I have not eaten meat for the last few days. Tofu based foods are pretty much the same as eating pork or chicken.The food on the festival is just delicious.

The best somtam in town. The photo is from last year. This year I got one yesterday, one today.. and have one on the fridge for the breakfast. She is very cute as well. :)

2012-10-21_20-22-22.jpg

Edited by Guest

Great pictures from Anguid! Krabi festival includes much more blood than the Phuket one.

Today is the last day and the Phuket town parade in the night is going to be huge. Then again, I can not seem to be able to find the exact time of the event. Last year it was after the sunset if I recall correctly. Does anyone know better?

Prepare yourself with eye and ear protection.

From PG: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Gazette-s-Full-Guide-to-Phuket-Vegetarian-Festival-2013-22434.html

October 13 – Day 9

Kathu Shrine:
5am Worship of Gods
9:30am Selection of servants for priests for the next vegetarian festival
3pm Fire Walking at Shrine
4pm Food Offering to Warriors
6pm Worship of Gods
7:30pm Bridge Crossing for Purification
Midnight Siva & Nine Emperor Gods and Birth-Death Gods Farewell

Jui Tui Shrine:
3:09pm Food Offering to Warriors
11:09pm Siva Farewell
11:45pm Nine Emperor Gods Farewell at Saphan Hin

Bang Neow Shrine:
3pm Food Offering to Warriors
6pm Bridge Crossing for Purification
10pm Siva & Nine Emperor Gods Farewell

Sui Boon Tong Shrine:
7am Street Procession in Phuket Town
8pm Worship of Gods
9pm Bridge Crossing for Purification
Midnight Siva & Nine Emperor Gods Farewell

Samkong Shrine:
5:30am Worship of Gods
3:09pm Food Offering to Warriors
7pm Bridge Crossing for Purification
11:09pm Siva Farewell
Midnight Nine Emperor Gods Farewell at Saphanhin

Ban Tha Rue Shrine:
5:30pm Food Offering to Warriors
8pm Bridge Crossing for Purification and Siva & Nine Emperor Gods Farewell at Nai Yang Beach

Cherng Talay Shrine:
5:30am Worship of Gods
3pm Food Offering to Warriors
6:30pm Bridge Crossing for Purification
9:30pm Siva Farewell
10:09pm Nine Emperor Gods Farewell at Surin Beach

Yokkekeng Shrine:
7:30am Worship of Gods
3:30pm Food Offering to Warriors
8pm Bridge Crossing for Purification
10:30pm Siva Farewell
Midnight Nine Emperor Gods Farewell at Koh Sirey Beach

Sapam Shrine:
7:45pm Bridge Crossing for Purification
10:45pm Siva & Nine Emperor Gods Farewell

I really dont know why some farangs persist, I feel a bit sorry for this guy. He probably tells everyone he can speak good thai. He is definitley not a Chinese, Southern, Buddhist Thai national.

He really has no place in this parade

I had a great day up in Phuket town. It was really jiving up there

post-171208-0-76045600-1381653734_thumb.

Edited by IrishIvan
  • Like 2

Me and the missus are going to Phuket Town (Saphan Hin) tonight.

Exact times seem to be difficult to come by. Can anybody suggest what time we should plan on arriving/leaving? I only want to go for a couple of hours.

I really dont know why some farangs persist, I feel a bit sorry for this guy. He probably tells everyone he can speak good thai. He is definitley not a Chinese, Southern, Buddhist Thai national.

He really has no place in this parade

I had a great day up in Phuket town. It was really jiving up there

looks like a typical english teacher..

Saphan hin 10:45pm Siva & Nine Emperor Gods Farewell

doomsday with all the firecrackers..don't miss it!

Thanks! I went last year (I had a proper timetable), it was VERY LOUD :) I just hope it doesn't rain!

Wow. This year I was close by to the Metropol hotel roundabout and then rode to Sapan Hin. The amount of firecrackers was just unbelievable. It started about 7pm and continued until 1:30am when I had to give up waiting

for the main fireworks at Sapan Hin.

I woke up feeling hangover of the all the fumes and smoke which filled the air.

I don't think I want to see another firecracker for an year.