UK Passport photos - Where in Pattaya?

richy2201

Good evening,

Could anyone recommend a tried and tested photo shop / photographers in Pattaya where I can get a set of UK passport photos done for my baby (preferably Naklua area)?

Long story short, this will be my third attempt. In a word, 'Presumption' was my downfall (even when I provided a clear template, explained with exact measurements and the fact that this HAD to be 45mm x 35mm....well I think you can guess what size the photos were once I got home....HINT: they were less than 45x35mm.

Cheers for any help!

Hint 1: Purchase a ruler (preferably metric), go to any photo shop you find, tell them what you want (try drawing a rectangle of the appropriate size), and don't leave or pay until you're satisfied you have the appropriate sized photograph that you want.

Hint 2: The ruler is not to smack the photo shop staff on the hand when/if they get it wrong the first time. Try measuring the finished product yourself.

Hint 3: Give up your career as a Rocket Scientist.

Sorry Mate, but your dilemma is so infantile I just couldn't resist it. whistling.gif

Hint 1: Purchase a ruler (preferably metric), go to any photo shop you find, tell them what you want (try drawing a rectangle of the appropriate size), and don't leave or pay until you're satisfied you have the appropriate sized photograph that you want.

Hint 2: The ruler is not to smack the photo shop staff on the hand when/if they get it wrong the first time. Try measuring the finished product yourself.

Hint 3: Give up your career as a Rocket Scientist.

Sorry Mate, but your dilemma is so infantile I just couldn't resist it. whistling.gif

Eh? Perhaps if you read what I wrote and the fact that I gave them a template with measurements....yep my mistake for taking them at their word but why would I need a ruler when I had a diagram or "....rectangle of the appropriate size"?

Hint 4 : Don't give hints if you don't what your talking about

Anyone else with sensible suggestions?

....by the way Gsxrnz, I'm not having a go at you mate, all in all it's been a cr@p day and with the mighty Liverpool losing, these photos have well and truly topped it off...now the red mist has cleared I've started to see the funny side of your post now....rolleyes.gif come to think of it I should have renamed the title to 'MY PATTAYA PASSPORT PHOTO RANT".

Hint 4 still remains though....w00t.gif

I generally have my photos done at the Kodak shop on Jomtien Beach Rd near the corner of Soi 5, and I always get the standard size they do for Jomtien immigration. I took a selection of about a dozen photos from there, done over several months/years, to the Passport Agency in the UK recently to get my new passport. The chap behind the counter looked at all of them and picked out the one I looked best in. All the sizes were the same, of course, and the backgrounds were more or less the same colour. He seemed to be more interested in the expression on my face than anything else and he didnt say that any of them would not have been acceptable for any technical reason.

I generally have my photos done at the Kodak shop on Jomtien Beach Rd near the corner of Soi 5, and I always get the standard size they do for Jomtien immigration. I took a selection of about a dozen photos from there, done over several months/years, to the Passport Agency in the UK recently to get my new passport. The chap behind the counter looked at all of them and picked out the one I looked best in. All the sizes were the same, of course, and the backgrounds were more or less the same colour. He seemed to be more interested in the expression on my face than anything else and he didnt say that any of them would not have been acceptable for any technical reason.

Thanks for this KittenKong, I'm just trying to get a decent shop that knows what I want as i'll get these countersigned in Pattaya and then submit in bangkok so I dont want to have to do this twice i.e. get to BKK and if photos rejected then have to come back to Patts to countersign new photo...much appreciated for reply!

Hint!, since everyone is giving hints, here is mine. When you do find the right photo shop, with the right size photos, then get a couple dozen at the same time. Just about every paper you need from immigration needs a photo, so get a lot. I got about 30 photos, the last time, and have been using the same photos for 3 years now. It will save you a lot of time. Usually when you find a photo shop, in a year from now, you wont remember where it is, or it has moved.

It is a bit out of the way but I use a shop on Nernplabwhan on the darkside - kodak sign about 500m up from railway lines opposite the petrol station they are just refitting. He has examples of different sizes you can pick from and explanations of what they are for.

It is a bit out of the way but I use a shop on Nernplabwhan on the darkside - kodak sign about 500m up from railway lines opposite the petrol station they are just refitting. He has examples of different sizes you can pick from and explanations of what they are for.

Agree with that. I got my UK passport photo's there, he knew exactly what I needed.

Walk up Naklua Road from Dolphin Roundabout and there's a photo store about 100 yards up on the left hand side. If this the one that has let you down, then cross the road and after another 300 or 400 yards you'll find another place (near the Italian restaurant whose name I've forgotten). It's near the Soi where Leos blues bar is.

Thanks lads for the hints and helps, will give the above shop a go maybe today....its for my baby so I cant really take lots of photos at once as obviously they grow up so fast and most places require a photo with a 'true likeness' within the last month though I should point out for myself I do usually get a good couple of copies done in one go for future visas etc....

Walk up Naklua Road from Dolphin Roundabout and there's a photo store about 100 yards up on the left hand side. If this the one that has let you down, then cross the road and after another 300 or 400 yards you'll find another place (near the Italian restaurant whose name I've forgotten). It's near the Soi where Leos blues bar is.

Thanks Champers, I used to get mine done at the one on Naklua just round from Best Supermarket, but everytime I go there now its closed. Then I went to the Kodak shopabout 100m on the other side of the road but they dont do passport photos...I'll give the one near Leos a go. Perhaps they have calibrated rulers / knowledge of the metric system.

Cheers again!

the other important thing is that the size of the head, eye distance etc, are all within the rules, on the same subject i had some passport photo's done in ''Jessops'' ( a well know camera shop) in the uk, and guess what they were not accepted at the post office, due to the eyes being in the wrong place, so its not just thailand that gets it wrong, i'm not sure how someone with deformities would get on.

I can fully sympathise with your dilemma.

Apart from the size issue, you will need to take a gun with you and tell them not to retouch the photo so that your child looks like something found in Madame Tussaud's. What is the gun for? You need to state, "If you retouch the photos in any way, I'll be forced to shoot you on the spot."

Unfortunately, you will almost certainly have to 'whack' 2 or 3 photographic technicians before word gets out that you are serious and the photo should not be retouched.

Best of luck, mate.

• 5 months later...

Hi All !

Any updates on where to go to get the best quality UK Passport photo's taken and printed off In the Pattaya area (preferably south Pattaya)

Has anyone tried taking the own photo and cropping it to the correct size and then getting that printed off?

Hi All !

Any updates on where to go to get the best quality UK Passport photo's taken and printed off In the Pattaya area (preferably south Pattaya)

Has anyone tried taking the own photo and cropping it to the correct size and then getting that printed off?

found a cool site on the internet

to re-size a personal photo into the correct size for you country it's really simple

http://www.idphoto4you.com/

I think the best place in town is Photoko, which is the photo studio for Sinderella Wedding Studios on Soi 2 Beach Road, opposite Big C Central Center. It's just a few shops up from the Wedding Studio, opposite the car park entrance near KFC and Pizza Hut.

They do a top notch job on passport photos for any country and know all the dimensions and specifications. They'll take some care and attention to making them how you want them - my wife treats passport photos like a studio photo session and she wouldn't go anywhere else... they did our wedding photos too. They are very good.

• 2 months later...

I think the best place in town is Photoko, which is the photo studio for Sinderella Wedding Studios on Soi 2 Beach Road, opposite Big C Central Center. It's just a few shops up from the Wedding Studio, opposite the car park entrance near KFC and Pizza Hut.

They do a top notch job on passport photos for any country and know all the dimensions and specifications. They'll take some care and attention to making them how you want them - my wife treats passport photos like a studio photo session and she wouldn't go anywhere else... they did our wedding photos too. They are very good.

You sure this place still exists? I've just spent a solid hour trying to find it, but no luck.

Avoid this guy like the plague. He charges 250 baht for a digital photo (no prints), whereas the guy on the corner of Ngernplubwan and Sukhumvit charges 100 baht. He's also an arrogant and unpleasant sod - maybe one of those types who think a warm and friendly approach is a sign of weakness, or perhaps he just doesn't like foreigners. Whatever. His rudeness means I won't be going back.

You sure this place still exists? I've just spent a solid hour trying to find it, but no luck.

Unless it has disappeared in the last few months. Did you see the Sinderella Wedding Studio? That's just up from the intersection of 2nd Road. The photo studio is up from there a few shops. I got the name wrong - I think it's Photo Ku. They took my wedding photos.

You could just go into the wedding studio and ask them. It's the same owner.

http://www.sinderellawedding.com/

Avoid this guy like the plague. He charges 250 baht for a digital photo (no prints), whereas the guy on the corner of Ngernplubwan and Sukhumvit charges 100 baht. He's also an arrogant and unpleasant sod - maybe one of those types who think a warm and friendly approach is a sign of weakness, or perhaps he just doesn't like foreigners. Whatever. His rudeness means I won't be going back.

Odd, I have never had a problem with him or his wife - both seemed friendly enough. Not had any photos done there but plenty of documents printed and i think it was something like 8 baht a page.

I dropped my phone in there once a couple of years back - went back there a couple of hours later while retracing my steps and she handed it to me with a smile before i had asked.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem trying to get my photos correct for my NZ passport online application. Got through the first couple of tests, ie, minimum size of file and 4:3 ration but then got 'Photo unnacceptable' several times. Tried different cameras, backgrounds and lighting. Driving me crazy! They recommend a professional photographer.

Consequently, I will be trying the Nernplabwhan photo shop.

With the advent of biometric passport information the passport offices get very selective with their requirements.

The trick with passport photos is that there should not be any shadow behind the head. A back light is useful there. Most countries want a white background, some get snooty if it is a little grey. The UK is very picky with this. Indonesia and Malaysia require colour backgrounds. Ireland used to need a black and white photo.

The expression in the photo should be neutral with the mouth closed, looking direct at the camera, if you wear glasses there should be no distortion or shadow from the frames, usually easier to remove the glasses. Only trouble is when you go to the automatic passport gate you have to take your glasses off. I have trouble looking focused without my glasses, also they have a relatively small place they want you to look at, so find that before removing glasses (my experiences coming into Oz).

Some countries like Singapore require fingerprints to also be recorded on the chip, this helps give them visa waiver entrance into the USA.

All this can be very difficult with a young baby, it has taken me over 20 minutes to get a success with 6 week old babies. In the old days they could have a smile so I got the parents to hold them upside down, worked a treat. One child had such an overbite he could not close his mouth, this caused all sorts of problems, I think in the end, the mother took a letter from a doctor to the passport office.

Then there is the requirement for the actual image on the photo, the 24x36mm is the standard size for a passport photo, the head has to be a certain size (18-22mm) from chin (or where the chin should be) to the crown of the head ( bouffant hair-do or a turban can cause all sorts of issues). The Australian passport office has a plastic template for people doing passport photos, not much use to those elsewhere but they are available.

Some countries require an ear to be part of the photo, the Dutch require the width of the face from temple to temple to be 18-20mm.

All these requirements are available from the relevant country's Embassy web site.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...