Mazda CX5 Thailand Introduction When?

OMGImInPattaya

have been at the Pattaya dealer, no car on display, the price for the 2.2d 1.65 MTHB

Are the Thai specs FWD or AWD?

So at least for the top spec benzine, only a 50 % premium to Stateside pricing...a real bargain! I used to love Thailand for the cheap women...now I hate it for the expensive cars...shows what getting old does:)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As of a month ago, Mazda TH had already taken over 1000 bookings for the new CX-5, so if you had any dreams of getting your hands on the first 300, I hope you got in early.. smile.png

If you book now, chances are you'll be waiting until Songkhran to take delivery. If you book at the motor show, you likely won't get it until H2 2014.

Just sayin' smile.png

We have booked our white 2.2 L Diesel some months ago. Last week, we were lucky to see the first show models which arrived at our Mazda dealer.

Our car will be delivered 7.11. - so I can get the first ride, soon...!

post-38989-0-64352300-1383443645_thumb.j

As of a month ago, Mazda TH had already taken over 1000 bookings for the new CX-5, so if you had any dreams of getting your hands on the first 300, I hope you got in early.. smile.png

If you book now, chances are you'll be waiting until Songkhran to take delivery. If you book at the motor show, you likely won't get it until H2 2014.

Just sayin' smile.png

We have booked our white 2.2 L Diesel some months ago. Last week, we were lucky to see the first show models which arrived at our Mazda dealer.

wow that cx-5 doesn't look much higher that that mazda 3. I wonder what the wading height is?

Just sayin' smile.png

wow that cx-5 doesn't look much higher that that mazda 3. I wonder what the wading height is?

I guess that is the same reaction as mine when I saw for first the "real" Subaru XV. Too small, too low for me, for the roads of Thailand (+ impact position in case of accident is not much better than a sedan or hatchback).

Just sayin' smile.png

I can't recall see anything specs for wading/fording depth in any of their literature or PR's - but that's not unusual for this class - normally you only see that spec declared for proper off-road vehicles. Haven't seen anything mentioned for other off-roader specs like approach, departure, or breakover angles either.

As for size, it's pretty much the same in all directions as the CR-V, so 100-150mm lower than a PPV. Ground clearance is also a good 50-70mm lower than a PPV too, but again that's a comparison with a platform that was designed with proper off-road ability in mind - the CX-5 is a crossover or softroader, depending on what language you speak :)

• Like 1

Just sayin' smile.png

I can't recall see anything specs for wading/fording depth in any of their literature or PR's - but that's not unusual for this class - normally you only see that spec declared for proper off-road vehicles. Haven't seen anything mentioned for other off-roader specs like approach, departure, or breakover angles either.

As for size, it's pretty much the same in all directions as the CR-V, so 100-150mm lower than a PPV. Ground clearance is also a good 50-70mm lower than a PPV too, but again that's a comparison with a platform that was designed with proper off-road ability in mind - the CX-5 is a crossover or softroader, depending on what language you speak smile.png

During 2011, a new crv got stranded in the floods. I guess the water was about 3/4 up the wheel or near the top of the wheel. I would say a raised pickup would have gone through OK. So I guess they would be ok for regular bangkok wet season flooding, but nothing too major.

Plenty of CX-5 in Mazda Phuket showroom, one in "Tiger" disguise as a test drive model. Pretty decent to look at, yet I did not feel that special and luggage space did seem a bit messed up (not a flat straight bench), 'holes' left and right....Salesgirl said that prices will only be available on 7th Nov, but the top model should be around 1.65m, which is the only 4WD with the 2.2 diesel engine.

had a short test drive in the 2.0S in Pattaya today - pretty decent, tomorrow I will be back and try the 2.2D for a hopefully longer ride. But anyway all depends how much they offer for my trade in Accord 2.0E 2009 40k km.

As the 2.2D is the only type with 4WD and the price gap is huge I might could settle with the 2.0S, as it has all important stuff e.g. safety features, besides Bose speaker system., 4WD, i-stop, 19 inch wheels - but 200kg lighter, and i dont pay for gasoline/diesel !!!!

Keep you updated

I thought mazda would of witheld the torso and curtain airbag and other passive safety measures for their top trim. Does the 2 litre also come with them or just the standard 2 front dual stage airbags?

Spoke with someone working in management a month ago who said no sunroof, no gps, no power front passenger seat and other comforts for the top line 2.2 which is a shame

t could settle with the 2.0S, as it has all important stuff e.g. safety features, besides Bose speaker system., 4WD, i-stop, 19 inch wheels - but 200kg lighter, and i dont pay for gasoline/diesel !!!!

Keep you updated

2.0S and 2.2D have identical configuration(also airbags and all safety feature as adaptive light, TC, BI-Xenon etc.) besides 4WD, i-stop, 19 inch wheels, Bose speaker - so 370k premium sems a lot to me

but even the top diesel has no Nafigation system, sun roof

2.0S and 2.2D have identical configuration(also airbags and all safety feature as adaptive light, TC, BI-Xenon etc.) besides 4WD, i-stop, 19 inch wheels, Bose speaker - so 370k premium sems a lot to me

but even the top diesel has no Nafigation system, sun roof

In Thailand I would pay extra NOT to have a sunroof; as for navigation, my Google Android phone free Maps app has voice turn by turn and visual directions and trip planning.

Still a little hard to get my mind around these prices.

had test drive to day at Pattaya dealer with 2.0 petrol and 2.2. d - have to say the diesel runs great but still the 2.0 is the better value for money, delivery time only 2 wekks depends on the colour...Mazda PTY only willing to give 1st year insurance, window film, floor mats and frame for the number plare as premium and no cash discount - any other expieriences?

still thinking about engine and color - 2.0/2.5 and white/meteor grey brilliant metallic, and about my loved Accord 2009/2.0 as they offerred 620k

had test drive to day at Pattaya dealer with 2.0 petrol and 2.2. d - have to say the diesel runs great but still the 2.0 is the better value for money, delivery time only 2 wekks depends on the colour...Mazda PTY only willing to give 1st year insurance, window film, floor mats and frame for the number plare as premium and no cash discount - any other expieriences?

still thinking about engine and color - 2.0/2.5 and white/meteor grey brilliant metallic, and about my loved Accord 2009/2.0 as they offerred 620k

Try a tent to get a price for the accord. Dealers will give a little less than a tent. Go for the 2.0 if it has all the gizmos you want and fuel economy should be pretty good anyway. If budget is not really an issue, then either the diesel or to 2.5, depending on your taste. having driven petrol engines all my life, I find diesels a little coarse, but don't know about this new engine. The diesel will handle heavier loads and mountains better, of course. But if you live in town, I think the 2.0 would be the wiser choice.

620K is little low, yes - should be more like 700-720K - but you'd need to find a tent with a ready buyer to get it - if it's going into inventory they probably won't offer much more than the 620K.

How's the responsiveness of the 2.0L? Also curious about your finding regarding the skyactiv gearbox..

I would have expected the opposite actually because of the torque being available in the lower revs.. I downloaded the brochure (Thai only) from their website and found a more detailed torque curve., it seems 190 NM is available from 2000 rpm to 6200 rpm., the 2.0L accord's engine develops that as a peak torque around 4500 rpm, should be noticeable imo.

Brochure direct download:

http://mazda.co.th/uploads/brochure/7bd0a6b800659331641e6931f012c478.pdf

dchm.png

if you need speed and acc. you need plenty of rpms but the nois insulation is far superior to my current honda, the gear box is great as you dont feel any gear changes at all..........

• Like 1

Good to hear :) did you see some interesting information about the available engines in your translation? ;)

On a side note, the new Mazda 3 Skyactiv will be available in Thailand somewhere in April next year. We are currently starting the translation process for this car.

I would have expected the opposite actually because of the torque being available in the lower revs.. I downloaded the brochure (Thai only) from their website and found a more detailed torque curve., it seems 190 NM is available from 2000 rpm to 6200 rpm., the 2.0L accord's engine develops that as a peak torque around 4500 rpm, should be noticeable imo.

Brochure direct download:

http://mazda.co.th/uploads/brochure/7bd0a6b800659331641e6931f012c478.pdf

dchm.png

if you need speed and acc. you need plenty of rpms but the nois insulation is far superior to my current honda, the gear box is great as you dont feel any gear changes at all..........

Mazda have done a good job to broaden the torque curve but it's still only a naturally aspirated 2.0L engine so I would not expect too much. The flatter torque curve will make it more flexible than a sportier higher revving engine but 200Nm is not much to push around 1,500kg. It will still need lower gears (and revs) to accelerate or climb hills, just like any other 1,500 kg car with a 2.0L engine.

Edited by Jitar

Cx5 gets a very positive review in today's New York Times auto section. They review the 2.5 litre benzine AWD model (dont know if this exact spec model is available in thailand). The writer says there is nothing superlative about the car...just that it all adds up to more than the sum of its parts and that it's a sophisticated vehicle that just feels and drives right. He even compares it to a BMW in this respect...but I don't really know what he means as I'm not a toff and never owned one of these right-angle German vehicles.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Cx5 gets a very positive review in today's New York Times auto section. They review the 2.5 litre benzine AWD model (dont know if this exact spec model is available in thailand). The writer says there is nothing superlative about the car...just that it all adds up to more than the sum of its parts and that it's a sophisticated vehicle that just feels and drives right. He even compares it to a BMW in this respect...but I don't really know what he means as I'm not a toff and never owned one of these right-angle German vehicles.

any link to the article?

In Thailand only the 2.2 diesel hast the AWD option - all other have the 2WD only

any link to the article?

In Thailand only the 2.2 diesel hast the AWD option - all other have the 2WD only

found it, article from 10.11.2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/automobiles/autoreviews/more-muscle-same-magic.html?_r=0

I can't comment on the CX-5 but among the various cars i've owned, the 2009 Mazda 3 was the only car that put a smile on my face and which imo has the best road handling in it's class. (yes, very close to a 3 serie Beemer) Some say Honda is used to be the Japanese equivalent of BMW but AFAIK Mazda deserves that title. (to change your slogan from "power of dreams" to "earth dreams" says it all)

In fact, IMO Mazda is one of the very few manufacturers where cars are designed by engineers who love dynamic driving (zoom-zoom;) and not by accountants. I love the way they're not afraid to implement new technologies like high-compression gasoline / low-compression diesel engines, 4-2-1 exhaust system, weight hunting, etc. and not going down the "downsizing roadmap like most of their European counterparts.

The 2.5 should be a blast to drive, just like the diesel :)

• Like 1

The 2.5 should be a blast to drive, just like the diesel smile.png

Finally ended up testing the cx5 albeit it briefly for a short test drive in bangkok for 20 minutes. Was hoping to compare the different engines but they only had the 2.5l available.

Maybe Im a little harsh but i felt underwelmed, perhaps my expectations were too high given the reviews which consistently praised the handling, there wasnt any play in it and didnt notice a dead center feel but was really light and not nearly as direct as i was hoping, to make matters worse the acceleration from red lights was not sluggish but barely mediocre, While my impressions are certainly skewed by my modified pjs and its low end torque i have also rented current model crvs and ravs. so while i wont argue with someone wanting to tell me the cx5 2.5 is class leading, it would have to be by a negligible margin, The engine delivered once the revs got up, i took it to 110kmph but was in city so my limited test was by no means even vaguely comprehensive but it was enough to leave me feeling the cx5 is not nearly as sporty as mazda would like me to believe and had hoped it would be. I remember thinking the ford escape with the taurus v6 a decade ago was a relatively fast car for the class when i first drove it, the cx5 petrol just didnt excite. Shame the diesel has the DPF fitted, will still be keen to try the 2.0l and especially the diesel. I think if your looking at the cx5 as a low thirst suv with great looks good safety kit and specs its a winner, just dont go into it expecting gokart handling or it to excite the senses as i had hoped.

My additional wishes for the car continued from a previous post i wrote about my impressions.

1. They offered me a 7" with gps for 30,000, eventhough id go for an aftermarket solution, apparently there is the option to go beyong the 5.8 unit which is suprisingly standard without dvd across the whole range to the near 1.7m diesel.

2. Wish the rear seats had the ability to recline, suprised they werent given how flexible the split folding rear seat back was, short runs not an issue but a missed feature for adults spending decent time in the rear bench, shame its fixed position.

3. Bose speaker option exclusive the 2.5 and diesel awd trims does not include a subwoofer under the seat or in the rear as Id of expected with the nine speaker set, better sound quality over oem and 2 additional what looks to be tweeters located in the boot over the 7 in the 2 litre models

4. Noticed a cut corner mazda took, the soft touch on the front door panels towards the top unfortunately do not follow into the rear seats as it is hard plastic, there are soft touch zones for the elbow rest though.

Edited by Retro Reactive

The 2.5 should be a blast to drive, just like the diesel smile.png

Finally ended up testing the cx5 albeit it briefly for a short test drive in bangkok for 20 minutes. Was hoping to compare the different engines but they only had the 2.5l available.

Maybe Im a little harsh but i felt underwelmed, perhaps my expectations were too high given the reviews which consistently praised the handling, there wasnt any play in it and didnt notice a dead center feel but was really light and not nearly as direct as i was hoping, to make matters worse the acceleration from red lights was not sluggish but barely mediocre, While my impressions are certainly skewed by my modified pjs and its low end torque i have also rented current model crvs and ravs. so while i wont argue with someone wanting to tell me the cx5 2.5 is class leading, it would have to be by a negligible margin, The engine delivered once the revs got up, i took it to 110kmph but was in city so my limited test was by no means even vaguely comprehensive but it was enough to leave me feeling the cx5 is not nearly as sporty as mazda would like me to believe and had hoped it would be. I remember thinking the ford escape with the taurus v6 a decade ago was a relatively fast car for the class when i first drove it, the cx5 petrol just didnt excite. Shame the diesel has the DPF fitted, will still be keen to try the 2.0l and especially the diesel. I think if your looking at the cx5 as a low thirst suv with great looks good safety kit and specs its a winner, just dont go into it expecting gokart handling or it to excite the senses as i had hoped.

My additional wishes for the car continued from a previous post i wrote about my impressions.

1. They offered me a 7" with gps for 30,000, eventhough id go for an aftermarket solution, apparently there is the option to go beyong the 5.8 unit which is suprisingly standard without dvd across the whole range to the near 1.7m diesel.

2. Wish the rear seats had the ability to recline, suprised they werent given how flexible the split folding rear seat back was, short runs not an issue but a missed feature for adults spending decent time in the rear bench, shame its fixed position.

3. Bose speaker option exclusive the 2.5 and diesel awd trims does not include a subwoofer under the seat or in the rear as Id of expected with the nine speaker set, better sound quality over oem and 2 additional what looks to be tweeters located in the boot over the 7 in the 2 litre models

4. Noticed a cut corner mazda took, the soft touch on the front door panels towards the top unfortunately do not follow into the rear seats as it is hard plastic, there are soft touch zones for the elbow rest though.

Nice review...didn't know there was anyplace in Bangkok where one could accelerate from a red or get up to 110 kph. I don't even think its fair to call the cx5 an "SUV" as it is tiny and there is basically no cargo room. It's about the size of the ford Ecosport, which I'm starting around pattaya these days.

The CX-5 looks more somilar to the CR-V / Escape / X-Trail size.

The EcoSport is based on a Fiesta so it is smaller again.

All of these are more Crossovers than SUV's.

The original SUV's were based on pickups like the Thai PPV term.