Mae sot Border crossing

Hi

Can anyone tell me if the mae sot/myawaddy border crossing is currently open?I need to do a visa run next month.I have a multiple entry non-immigrant 0.If it is open will i be granted 90 days upon my return to Thailand?Do i need a visa before entering Burma, or is it as Cambodia visa upon entry, and if this is the case how much is the Burmese visa?

Lastly would my Thai wife be allowed to enter Burma on just her id card?as her passport is at the British embassy at the moment, pending a visa application.

Many thanks.

It is open. You will get 90 days there is no difference between flying in or doing it by land. Cost is 500 baht or a new crisp $10 bill for entry. Wife can get a border pass with her ID.

You learn something every day, I didn't realise you can pay with a $10 bill and I've used that crossing for 11 years!

I've wasted a few '000 Baht then sad.png

It is open. You will get 90 days there is no difference between flying in or doing it by land. Cost is 500 baht or a new crisp $10 bill for entry. Wife can get a border pass with her ID.

Mae Sot is no problem but my wife was not allowed to enter using her id (21/10/2013) without puchasing a ticket from somewhere first so check where to get before going to immigration office .

Is the border crossing process for the exit/re-entry at Mae Sot as easily done as at Mae Sai?

RS

I've been going to Mae Sot for about five years (in fact,I was there yesterday), and it's an absolute doddle. The only problem I get is that,when I'm in the office on the Myanmar side,they are always trying to get me to visit the local town (Myawaddy), but I have to explain to them that I've done it a couple of times already. Very nice people there.

• 11 months later...

Im looking for an update on Mae sot, I emailed a friend who is there and he told me people with tourist visas are having serious problems or are being told to go to Laos. I have a non B, so the Thai side should be no problem but do they now require a visa from the Myanmar embassy in BKK to enter the country, this is now the case in Thailand. Any one know for sure??

Im looking for an update on Mae sot, I emailed a friend who is there and he told me people with tourist visas are having serious problems or are being told to go to Laos. I have a non B, so the Thai side should be no problem but do they now require a visa from the Myanmar embassy in BKK to enter the country, this is now the case in Thailand. Any one know for sure??

I have seen no reports of anybody that has a valid tourist visa having a problem there.

Multiple in/out exempt visa entries can be a problem.

You don't need to a visa to enter Myanmar there.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mae Sot is no problem but my wife was not allowed to enter using her id (21/10/2013) without puchasing a ticket from somewhere first so check where to get before going to immigration office .

There is an immigration office in Mae Sot in addition to the immigration at the bridge. Although this is a few years ago, I recall my wife having to go to the immigration office and getting a day pass (25 baht or something like that) and that let her cross the bridge.

Not sure if it is still the same procedure.