Letter of residency - BKK

Hello,

I'm currently in Bangkok on an Ed-Visa (just did the first/initial report end of August which I'm told is different from the regular 90 days reports I'll have to do) and since I'll probably be here for at least a year, am looking to buying a (second hand) car. It appears that in order to do so I need, among other documents, a "Letter of residency" either from the local Immigration Office, or the embassy of my home country.

Is this correct?

Now, I have not found up to date information about this process (last posts seem to be from somewhere in the middle of last year and mostly from people outside of BKK such as Pattaya), so I'm looking or any information about how to go about getting such a Letter in BKK. I have even read some places that this is no longer issued and you have to go to the embassy, is this true?

I currently rent an apartment.

Are the following documents sufficient to obtain this from immigration:

Copy of passport (various pages, including visa and extension of stay)

Rental contract and latest bill (+ bank receipt of payment)

2 Passport Photos

Can I expect having to make the trip out to immigration (which as you may know in BKK is far), or can the process be completed in one day?

Thank you for your kind information

Believe policy in Bangkok is making TM.47 address reports and return in three weeks for such document.

Thank you. I'm not sure I understand, TM.47 is the 90 days address report? If so, does that mean I can only apply for the letter of residency when I'm doing my next report (which is 2 months from now) and on top of that have to wait 3 weeks to get the letter?

Might help if we knew your nationality. And, yes, most embassies will issue such a letter, for a price, of course.

Mac

I apologize, I thought I mentioned it. I am Austrian (no Kangaroos).

I cannot find anything on their website, or honestly via google. Most mentions are either for the UK or US embassy. Then again I don't know what this letter would be called in german.

Probably just have to go there sometime next week. Still looking for anyone in the know of course.

Thanks

Latest info is that they will not do it until you have made at least one report. It varies on how long it takes to get it.

Does the same apply to visitor here on Tourist Visa ? Submit TM47 ?

An address report (TM47) only applies to those staying 90 days or more in Thailand.

Never required from those on tourist visas ! smile.png (Tourists have to leave the country on the 90th day !)