Living In China Vs. Thailand

galt67

An interesting article regarding living in China--Note similarities to Thailand:

Foreign Legion

By Antony Peyton

What brings so many foreigners to China and why do they keep coming here in increasing numbers, despite the popular image of the country being a repressive regime with extreme pollution and poverty?

The mass influx of expatriates includes many Japanese, South Koreans and native English speakers, but in my home city of Tianjin alone, I’ve met people from all corners of the world—Cuba, Israel, Finland, Russia, Zambia, Benin, Yemen; even one guy from Bismarck, North Dakota.

All have their own reasons for choosing the Middle Kingdom, but the vast majority I’ve met and talked to fall into two distinct camps.

There are those here to learn Mandarin Chinese. But it’s not just the language; in Tianjin, there’s also a noticeable presence of medical students from Nepal, Pakistan and Africa. For this latter contingent, the Chinese educational system and quality of life will actually be a step up.

Ten years ago anybody studying the linguistic contortions of Mandarin Chinese may well have been looked at as weird. Today, with China’s gradual rise to superpower status, learning a language that will be used in business, tourism and diplomacy seems like a smart move. Mandarin is the predominant language in the world, with over 1 billion speakers—double the number of native English speakers (514,000,000).

In the other camp, which includes myself, are those attracted by the commercial opportunities of a thriving economy. Every day, the media run reports of new, international business deals initiated by China and the growing demand for foreign expertise.

The Economist forecasts that “real GDP growth” in China “is expected to slow to 8.6% in 2006 and 8.2% in 2007.” That might be a slight slowdown, but most countries would love to have those kinds of figures.

Personally, I came here only partially for the potential financial rewards. Back in August 2003, as I tried to decide where to live and work next, I was attracted by the mystery of the Orient. China offered an ancient civilization, replete with historical tales and cultural heritage—in other words, a huge spectrum of travel destinations and excitement.

However, comparing my expectations then to my reality today, I have to say that overall, China has been a disappointment. I’ve seen all the squalor, filth, rudeness, corruption, crime, incompetence and inexorable drabness first hand. It’s not just a small part, it’s the major part of life here, leaving me in no doubt that much of what China presents to the world is a mere façade.

Of course, others have their own opinions. When I talk to younger folks who study or teach here, they often point out the appeal of “the language”, “culture”, “the people”, and constantly rave about the tourist attractions and cheap beer. Perhaps it’s the optimism of youth, but they are genuinely fascinated by everything Chinese.

I still find the country interesting, and my job is far more appealing than being a corporate drone in an office somewhere in England. But together with some long-term residents, I’ve come to view the country in a more realistic manner.

It’s impossible to categorize every type who touches down here, but the country’s chaotic management and willingness to accept almost any foreigner don’t bode well for a quality group of immigrants. In Beijing, foreign drug dealers are wandering the streets, many cities have Russian prostitutes in abundance, and many foreigners I’ve met in Tianjin are just plain losers.

China needs English teachers—unfortunately, employment of same isn’t very selective. I heard the government will tighten the restrictions this year by demanding adequate qualifications. So far, they have never checked. Not once has a school ever looked over my teaching certificate or references, despite me encouraging them to do so.

Unfortunately, a large number of the aforementioned losers have embraced the teaching profession as their “career.” Most of them are men in their forties and fifties with perpetual money problems, who came here on the wrong end of a divorce or some other emotional turmoil. Once they discover the cheap beer at $1 a bottle, their lack of restraint becomes rather obvious.

Many of them don’t know how to negotiate wages, with the result that teaching salaries for foreigners have actually decreased over the last three or four years… from an average hourly wage of 275 Renminbi ($34) to now 120 Renminbi ($15).

So by and large, China can absolutely offer satisfaction and excitement to foreigners for a while. A salary of 8,000 to 10,000 Renminbi is 4-5 times more than the local populace, thus puts one in a position of relative wealth. But without pensions, health care or long-term planning, there doesn’t seem to be much of a future.

By the way, I ADDED the emphasis.

SOURCE: http://www.caseyresearch.com