Polycarbonate Sheets for Greenhouse

cdmtdm

what are the thoughts on using the flat poly sheets on a greenhouse, instead of the usual plastic and shadecloth? talking with my mate yesterday about it and where i am located the major issue is the heat from the sun and the torrent of rain in the wet ....my idea is to build a light weight apex frame ( similar to patio tubing) fix the poly on top and have drop down insect screens on the sides ....on top i will incorporate a vent on the ridge line to release the heat .... i am not convinced on the plastic idea , lifespan and the wind factor ...any ideas good or bad appreciated ...thanks ...

I reckon you won't be able to get rid of the heat that will build up in the soil, despite venting. You will finish up using shading net any way. Maybe you should try a small set up before investing. I agree about the rain though, our garden was under water for three days recently, I will have to sow again.

I reckon you won't be able to get rid of the heat that will build up in the soil, despite venting. You will finish up using shading net any way. Maybe you should try a small set up before investing. I agree about the rain though, our garden was under water for three days recently, I will have to sow again

i was planning to make the height of the sides say 3.5 m from ground level, to get good cross ventilation, then pitch the roof from that to say a ridge height of 5m ... the sides will have rollup up insect nets.... i could always put a curtain type shadecloth under the roof if heat became an issue ...most of my plants will be in nft or raised media beds .. another question is, if the polycarb sheets detract anything from the sun as far as plant growth goes ..... if it works and heat is not an issue then u get shading and waterproofing in one go and its lightweight ...thanks for the input ..

Hi cdmtdm, I have done a lot of research on this subject and what you want to build is about the same as what I came up with, this is what I will use when I build my greenhouse, Suntuf Plus, this website will give you some very good information.

Cheers

Scoop

http://www.palram.com.au/com_suntuf_plus.html

thanks scoop , yes thats the gear ... is it available in LOS ? anyway i will suss it out , i see its in Oz everywhere ... what did you have planned for the structural side ? i figured that only the posts need to be galv or treated with something , the rest i wanted to use lightweight box tubing ? be happy to hear your ideas on that aspect ...

cheers

Hi cdmtdm, I was looking to use galvanised square tube about 1 inch or 1.5 inch for the frame, search in the farming forum " Green House" and have a look at "tiger2" post 8, that looked pretty good to me, and also I asked in the housing forum about the square gal tube and a poster sent me some information on scaffolding and that looked ok as well. I will seach for that and let you know where that post is.

Cheers

Scoop

Found it, this may be an option for the frame?

http://www.vpcgroup.co.th/

Edited by Scoop1

Hi cdmtdm, I was looking to use galvanised square tube about 1 inch or 1.5 inch for the frame, search in the farming forum " Green House" and have a look at "tiger2" post 8, that looked pretty good to me, and also I asked in the housing forum about the square gal tube and a poster sent me some information on scaffolding and that looked ok as well. I will seach for that and let you know where that post is.

Cheers

Scoop

Found it, this may be an option for the frame?

http://www.vpcgroup.co.th/

ok will check all those items out , the suntuf plus guy in Oz has emailed me to say now they have an agent In LOS , they will be in touch tomorrow i hope , very good website and products ..

cheers Chris

hi Scoop, are u thinking to buy the scaffold tubing and use that as the material for the frame ? i liked the pre made couplings in that photo using the round pipe .... i have to cover about 300m2 so planning on two greenhouses , making them on the ground and lifting up seems the go, including the polycarb attached .... i also want to make the apex higher , heat is a major factor where i am in Isaan , will also require a ridge vent with netting as well ... i went to the horti asia show this year , way way overpriced imo ... some ridiculous prices .

Hi cdmtdm, I would raise the stud height to 4mtrs minimum which means the majority of the heat will be above the plant canopy[ unless you are growing indeterminate tomatoes and yes you will have to have a ridge vent and at least 500 micron bug mesh on the vent and the walls, the best way to run your greenhouse is in the most sterile way possible and that includes a foot bath with a chlorine solution to step into so not to carry any soil pathogens inside the greenhouse, its widely thought that the best design for the tropics is the "sawtooth" greenhouse it gives much better natural ventilation, but ugly as all hell, haha, I was thinking that if ever I got sick of the greenhouse that the design will have the versatility to be used as something else. you mention that you will be using NFT so I am guessing that you will be growing lettuce or micro greens?.

Cheers

Scoop

• Like 1

hi Scoop , i agree saw tooth is the way , getting the heat out is critical imo .... actually i will have a variety of growing methods , i have 300m2 on stage one , i will use nft and grow towers for leafy greens , then i will use media beds filled with hydroton and also some wicking beds ...

yesterday i was in global house , i spotted 6 m lengths of 1" 1/2 galv round pipe for around 430 baht per length , i thought was not bad . I wonder what size those clamps on the vpc site were ? must check it out ... the suntuf plus guy i hope will contact me today .... i am ready to epoxy the inside of my Fish tanks and then its onto the greenhouse area ...

thanks for the tip on the feet makes good sense .

cheers

hey scoop , bad news , the thai agent here will only take orders for a container load at a time <deleted> ? so after speaking with Israel head office they can only provide via the agent here ...so back to the drawing board ... such a shame because the market for this stuff would be huge .... i will go in search of another company here who buys ex phillipines the product is called sunlite ...thoughts ?

Cheers