goods from overseas thais like

ou812

Forget Chocolate? of the 4 suitcases we bring one case will be chocolate as gifts and other food for ourselves such as cheese and butter. Costco nicely wraps 4 pounds in quarter stick packs in heavy plastic. We stick 8 lbs in the wet end of two our bags. They get a bit misshapen but put them in the fridge and they'll be our butter for the next 4 months. 8 two pound blocks of cheese, won't melt and it goes in the fridge. The chocolate is in one or two pound boxes with the few 2 pounders going to a couple of Poo yai's, our bank manager and a few friends. Smaller boxes go to family. We don't bring much in clothes and they go in our carry ons. Other bags bring good sheets, towels etc that we could buy in Thailand but costs more. Books and my personal stash of food to include 16 lbs of Gharadelli chocolate bittersweet bits for my daily cup of hot chocolate, grits etc

But forget chocolate not a chance, it's an addiction, a way of life, a health food and I like it.

• Like 1

Forget chocolate. Thais could care less. I've given chocolate as gifts that I brought from Europe to a few Thais and in some cases I saw the unopened chocolate sitting around their homes or offices a year later! Perfume? Forget that too. They will leave it displayed on their shelf and never open it. Besides those kinds of items are readily available in Thailand. Watches??? I've found that they like the touristy t-shirts, hats, etc. displaying the name of the city you are in.

Butter?????????

not american, but I purchased a bunch of kangaroo scrotums from the gift shop at the airport outbound.

I never said what they were, but told the girls I gave them to, if they put 5 baht inside it would bring good luck.

I do buy chocolates coming through singapore, only for a certain bunch of girls who I know eat them.

the common one i get asked is stuffed kangaroos and koalas.

The triplets asked me to buy them some perfume, but I think they are going to miss out there.

• Like 1

Little trinket things go well. The more souvenirish the better. The kids love those foot-long pencils (from Australia) with images of koalas , kangaroos or Sydney Harbour Bridge on them. The keyrings with dangling furry koalas are also a hit.

One of the above posts that suggests dollars might sound a bit sarcastic but make no mistake. Man's got a point. All that common stuff like chocolate and perfume etc doesn't turn them on. But a few crispy bucks will do the trick. I mean don't you know thais?

• Like 1

Cosmetics work really well especially those little lipstick and eye liner combos you find at airport duty free...if you are transiting thru Seoul or Narita ...any of those cosmetics there are cheaper and even more popular

LOL giving cosmetics may result in a slap across the face from a Thai. Who would know what to get anyway. I remember one time many, many years back my grandfather gave my grandmother a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. They didn't speak to each other for about a week.laugh.png

• Like 1

not american, but I purchased a bunch of kangaroo scrotums from the gift shop at the airport outbound.

I never said what they were, but told the girls I gave them to, if they put 5 baht inside it would bring good luck.

I do buy chocolates coming through singapore, only for a certain bunch of girls who I know eat them.

the common one i get asked is stuffed kangaroos and koalas.

The triplets asked me to buy them some perfume, but I think they are going to miss out there.

Agree, from an Aussie perspective. Whenever I go back to Oz the request is always for stuffed kangaroo and Koala toys as well as those ones that clip onto things (like a computer monitor). The other more curious request from one of the Thai guys is for Kangaroo meat, he loves it.

Cosmetics work really well especially those little lipstick and eye liner combos you find at airport duty free...if you are transiting thru Seoul or Narita ...any of those cosmetics there are cheaper and even more popular

LOL giving cosmetics may result in a slap across the face from a Thai. Who would know what to get anyway. I remember one time many, many years back my grandfather gave my grandmother a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. They didn't speak to each other for about a week.Posted Image

LOL ...trust me when you get one of those compact lots from chanel or Dior the pretty box will not get U a slap ...they dig those brands even if they don't use it

Hahahha buy the wrong moisturizer or toner code yes you will get a good kick :-)

Anything manufactured outside ASEAN is expensive in Thailand. Western perfumes and cosmetics are very popular, but you need some idea about what the women likes. Chocolates will generally win you friends, even simple ones like M&M's and Hershey kisses. Reasonable quality name-brand watches are also popular; I once inadvertently caused a feud between two sisters when I gave one an inexpensive Timex watch that both wanted.

Be careful. Getting a Thai girlfriend is easy. Getting rid of one....maybe not so easy.

• Like 1

Quote OP "I have some girls and friends i like to take care of. I usualy bring some cheaper seiko watches and chocolate makes evereyone happy stuff to leave as tips ect".

Why not just stick to a winning formula?

If you've been here a few times, you must know by now what the people you hang around with like.

Wow, most of the ideas presented here, other than cash, seem weird to me ...but it would depend on the person/relationship. I'm not clear if you have several g/f's, or you are into many rental g/f's or you are talking about tips for workers, or g/f workers ...or what.

If you have a real g/f, or a few of them, then I guess something you think they would like, as an individual ..which would not be a crappy key chain from an airport. I guess if you want to give something like that as a tip to a hotel worker, or some person like that, but I think they would rather have 100 baht. Even poor people recognize cheap crap as cheap crap though. Kids, okay ...crazy pencils or something, yes. Adults, I think not.

A name-brand make-up, that they won't use, but they like the brand?? I am a female, and if I don't like/need that exact color, or product, it won't be used, and if it won't be used, I don't care what brand it is, it will be a waste. And I would be a bit miffed by some guy who has a supply of lipsticks to give out! Acutally I think the makeup idea is quite bad unless you know EXACTLY what she likes and uses (or hopes to use).

Perfume can be good and a more normal gift to give a woman, and is expensive here, if it is real. If your g/f would rather wear fake perfume for 200 baht, and pocket $35 as well, or would rather have $45 of real perfume (which actually that won't be perfume per se at that price ...let's call it fragrance) who knows?? It also doesn't last long here, I mean, it is really ridiculous, due to the heat. So, small quanties would probably be a better bet, even if it isn't as impressive.

Also, I guess it would depend a lot on the type of person you give the gift too, and mostly how poor they are, or are not. Cheap Seiko watches? If they are really poor, they might prefer a $5 fake, and money. They might not know how much that watch is worth if not fake, or might not care, because everyone will assume it is a fake. And how much are those? I have no idea if they are $25 or $200. But I am not sure that is really considered a stylish watch, especially for ladies, maybe men don't care as much. I think a watch is a piece of jewelry and quite a personal choice. On the other hand, if you hand out watches for tips to waiters, maybe they would like that, but it would be weird!

I think, maybe you should just forget bringing gifts unless you have a few specific people in mind, and know what they would like, and you can get it cheaper in the US, then okay, do it. But otherwise, I think you are just wasting your time and money and luggage space, and could better use the money to give cash, or buy people things they want when you are here.

I appreciate your generous and thoughful nature, but I think looking like a Santa Claus, won't come off here as well as you may think.