Visa-new to thailand

I am 53years old and a newcomer to Thailand, at the moment i have a Non Immigrant visa type-O , which i will have to re-new in the future . My problem is this ... I do have the necessary money required for this type of visa ( i think its 800,000 Baht ..? ) but its not here in Thailand, and i do not want to deposit this amount in Thailand. I can not borrow or lend this amount here, I also have a private monthly income, but again i can not provide any paper work to show this . As I do not want to go back to the UK, to obtain this type of visa, if i did a visa run to a Thai embassy in a near by country , would I still have to show proof of money in a Thai Bank ..?, My aim is to try and stay here in Thailand long term, so sorting out my future visa options are of importance. Any advice the members of the forum can offer would be most appreciated

To get the initial Non-Immigrant "O" that you would need to start the process, you don't need to show the consulate any proof of income. Ask for a multiple entry visa, then you need do do visa run every 90 days and visa trip every 15 months. Multies can be hard to obtain in Thailand adjacent countries, better you get it from the UK.

In order to get yearly extensions, you would need to transfer the amount into Thailand. Note that you can combine a deposit with a montly inflow, e g 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month. Or a combination that totallly amounts to 800,000.

Note that Immigration only requires the amount to be in the account at the time for application - once a year. You could of course transfer it back again (but the Thai banks are reluctant to send money out of the country due to the money laundry laws...). Hmmm. Be a bit creative and you could possible arrange this... :o

CAN BE 50 FOR THIS.

December 10, 2002

Criterias for retirement visa

Initially you must apply for a Non-Immigrant visa before you enter the country from a Thai Embassy abroad. Permission will be for 90 days. for the first permit (single entry) but you can apply for a multiple max one year stay in Thailand.

Requirements:

Application form T.M.7

Copy of passport or substitute document.

One 4 x 6 cm photo.

500 baht fee.

Proof of financial status or pension.

Letter from your embassy saying you wish to retire in Thailand For an applicant who is over 50 years old, proof of income of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank OR an income of not less than 65,000 baht per month must be presented - OR a combination of balance in the bank and a monthly income. Example: 400,000 Baht in the bank and 32,500 Baht coming in every month.

If the alien is ill, or has weak health and is sensitive to colder climates or has resided in Thailand for a long period, and is 50-59 years old, special circumstances may be given. The applicant must also submit medical certificates and proof that he/she lived in Thailand for a long time. For info: Tel: (02) 287-3905 or 287-3101-10 (ext 2259-61) or ask us.

Pensioners arriving before Oct 1998 with unbroken records while living here only need 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank when they apply for an extension.

A foreigner must show evidence that he/she has income amounting to at least 65,000 baht per month or a bank account amounting to at least of 800,000 baht in cash when initially applying for a one-year visa;

Ready the same day

With all the required documents in hand, and the bank certification dated the same date the applicant goes to the Immigration office, the one year Retirement Visa is usually ready in an hour or so, the same day. Until early 2002 year it took 3 or 4 months - now, many of the Immigration offices have authority to issue the one year Retirement Visa without sending the applications, etc. to Bangkok - i.e. issue them the same day.

Note:

The bank certification of deposit (of 800,000 baht) must show that the money came into the bank from another country.

In the case of applications for one-year extensions of stay, or applications to change Tourist Visas or Transit Visas to Non-Immigrant Visas, evidence must be provided by each applicant that he/she has income or bank deposit in the same amounts as indicated in category 1 above.

RETIREES & THEIR SPOUSES:

Retirees who are married to a foreigner eg. Englishman married to say a Phillipino can apply for his "O" status non immigrant visa under the normal criteria of 800,000 baht or 65,000 baht coming in each month. However if he /she wants to include spouse on this Visa he/she must show evidence of marriage, e g marriage certificate

TIGERMAN ???

Just a couple of points about bank accounts:

1. You do not need to provide transmittal receipts for pensions arriving from overseas. A letter from your Thai bank (around Bht 200.00) confirming that you have a regular income and how much it amounts to, will suffice.

2. I consider it advisable not to just deposit a lump sum in the bank the day before you apply for your visa with a view to retrieving it the day after. You may need to provide copies of your bank statement or passbook and the transactions will show in future applications (you will need the same documentation every year).

3. If you provide copies of your bank statement for the second application, they may be suspicious if there are no withdrawals from the account particularly if you do not have evidence of money being transferred from abroad. (A friend of mine was under investigation for working in Thailand without a work permit because there was no withdrawals from his bank during the previous 12 months).