health cover in Pattaya

mogo51

Hi all,

i hear that there is a new government initiative to get Westerners (farangs) into health cover. The new hospital in Soi Baukauw is offering us health insurance for 2,500 bht per annum. Can anyone confirm this, if it is correct, sounds like a good deal. I am told it is well equipped just hope they know how to use the equipment!

"That's even less than what the Thais gets deducted from their salary for the 'free' healtcare,..."

For 'free' healthcare, there is no deduction. For that matter, many don't even have a salary.

Perhaps you're thinking of Social Security, which is not free.

I have to agree, though, 2500 does sound too good to be true.

It does sound too good to be true. While this type of cover would obviously be limited to treatment at the hospital in question, it sounds like an interesting initiative by an individual hospital. If this offer is on the website of the hospital in question it is acceptable for the OP to post the corresponding link.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Exactly where is this new hospital?

Map

Am I reading this wrong? The Map says it's on Naklua 10, not Soi Bukhao.

Yes, you're reading it wrong. The soi on the map labeled Na Kluea 10, is probably better knows as soi Lengkee, the extension of soi Diana Inn going from soi Buakhow towards 3rd Road.

Does anyone have a link to confirm this rumour ?

Public health insurance is normally only avalable for Thais.

This is the link I found about Pattaya health care.

http://www.pattaya.go.th/services/%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A5-%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89/?lang=en

Edited by balo

It's not a rumor. Available to Tax payers, Thai or foreign.

And that's the way it should be, not as in our home countries.

How many expats are tax payers in Thailand? What home countries are you talking about? In Australia medical care is free, but if you do want private cover (choice of doctor etc) anyone who can pay the premium is eligible, not only taxpayers, so I don't get your point.

It's not a rumor. Available to Tax payers, Thai or foreign.

And that's the way it should be, not as in our home countries.

If you've got a deposit account here then the interest automatically has 15% tax deducted from it. Does that make you a taxpayer?

If you've got a deposit account here then the interest automatically has 15% tax deducted from it. Does that make you a taxpayer?

It does. I have my Thai taxpayer's card to prove it. I use it to get my withholding tax rebate every year.

So does that mean we can also get health insurance like people working here? If so, how do you go about getting it?

Link does not work?

Does anyone have a link to confirm this rumour ?

Public health insurance is normally only avalable for Thais.

This is the link I found about Pattaya health care.

http://www.pattaya.go.th/services/%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A5-%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89/?lang=en

"That's even less than what the Thais gets deducted from their salary for the 'free' healtcare,..."

For 'free' healthcare, there is no deduction. For that matter, many don't even have a salary.

Perhaps you're thinking of Social Security, which is not free.

I have to agree, though, 2500 does sound too good to be true.

Yes, sorry, I meant the social security

Social security is the scheme where employer and employees each contribute half, for self employed people,

or for self employed people, like the somtam vendors and motorcycle taxis, they can pay about 400 Baht a month at 7-11 to be on the scheme, the coverage for certain illness is a bit less than the free health cover (used to be 30 Baht per visit) that's available to the general population.

Once you are on the scheme you have to select which hospital you will belong to, some hospitals, like Banglamung are oversubscribed, but in emergencies you can go anywhere but might have to pay out of your own pocket first and be reimbursed later.

The contribution is not much, but each patients the hospital has on their register, the hospital gets some amount of money from the government, and for every visit, some private hospital manage to build separate wings just to deal with social security/free health care alone, usually with the same doctor and level of care as their private wings, the only difference is hefty wait.

Perhaps they just made the scheme available to Foreigner?

It does. I have my Thai taxpayer's card to prove it. I use it to get my withholding tax rebate every year.

So does that mean we can also get health insurance like people working here? If so, how do you go about getting it?

I dont know. Presumably the same way that working people do, however that is.

This is not a link for a hospital in Pattaya. But I guess it's the same new government initiative the OP heard about, which might be also offered by the Pattaya City Hospital on Soi Buakhao:

Health Insurance for Foreigners

http://udon-news.com/en/law/health-insurance-for-foreigners

Thanks, that's interesting. I wonder if they plan on extending the scheme to other changwats?