Good, reliable internet in Naklua ?

sungod

Hi, the title may be misleading as there may not be such a thing.

However at my wits end with my current provider 3BB, the service had been tolerable for 4 years, but over the last 2 months very patchy and unstable. Numerous calls to 3BB have yielded no positive result, so I feel it may be time for us to part company.

Therefore my question would be to members, who else would you recommend? I am in Naklua, Sukhumvit road end.

I would like to know peoples experience with the main providers such as TOT and True (are fiber optic available yet up here?) Also interested in CAT, Banglamung TV and even AIS airnet. Looking at around 1500THB per month.

Look forward to any input you guys have, Cheers,

I been using banglamung cable tv internet for the last 3 years after I got feed up with TOT.

They pulled a new cable from the road to my house after they tested the under gound cable dogdy and it was free.

Generally very good connection, I would say it is working 99% of the times I been using it and the speed is generally near the promised speed I pay for.

Not cheap, 1600 baht pr month I think for a 12mb connection but they throw in cable TV for free (which is crap, so use it in the master bedroom upstairs).

I am also located near Sukhumvit road in North Pattaya near BKK/Patt hospital (same side).

Thanks for that, very interesting. I was toying with the idea of BTV, I hear they use CAT which is supposed to be very good???? Good international speeds I am led to believe?

I'm currently paying 1150 for total crap, so an extra 450THB is not that bad when you consider they throw in cable TV (which incidentally I already pay for anyway) Like you I pipe it around the upstairs bedrooms.

The other option I am considering is AIS airnet, a friend has it and gives it a reasonable report, plus from my side AIS has the nearest thing that resembles customer service in this country :)

I concur with the assessment of BTV cable internet.

I have had it for almost 2 years (Park Beach Condo on Soi Naklua 16) and while there have been occasional problems, they respond quickly and send out the technicians who always managed to locate and fix the problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, its rather telling that not a single member has piped up for one of the big companies TOT, True, 3BB etc,

I'm going to take a look at Banglamung cable I think, 11,900 per year for that and cable TV seems quite reasonable, but I do agree with you all and would say I would struggle to spend a night in and just watch BTV :)

Smokin Joe, apart from the TV side, you didn't say too much about the internet, but would you recommend it?

I live in the Wong Amat area and True is supplied to the apartment building I live in.

Whether it is down to True or merely the installation here I wouldn`t know but it is not very reliable and sometimes seems to take a long while to get an engineer out.

Thanks for mentioning AIS air net, had never heard of it to be honest, may look in to that.

Have an AIS 3 G air card I use as back up which seems reasonable, slow but does mostly stay connected.

I live in the Wong Amat area and True is supplied to the apartment building I live in.

Whether it is down to True or merely the installation here I wouldn`t know but it is not very reliable and sometimes seems to take a long while to get an engineer out.

Thanks for mentioning AIS air net, had never heard of it to be honest, may look in to that.

Have an AIS 3 G air card I use as back up which seems reasonable, slow but does mostly stay connected.

Understand with airnet you need to be in close proximity/line of sight with one of their cell phone towers. Then if in a house they stick up a pole with an antenna on the end, if you are in a condo and high enough up you should be OK.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it stated really well with BTV, I got fast speeds never seen before with 3 BB. The problem now is that its generally good, but the speeds tail off quite often, it seems very unstable at present.

On the 10mp package, but some pages take a few clicks to load. Streaming from BBC is very difficult at times.

Any comments?

Just in case anyone is following this and remotely interested, credit where credit is due, BTV spent a week ironing out the problems, now its running extremely well, a big improvement on my previous ISP.(3BB)

Can stream BBC in HD no problem etc.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone is following this and remotely interested, credit where credit is due, BTV spent a week ironing out the problems, now its running extremely well, a big improvement on my previous ISP.(3BB)

Can stream BBC in HD no problem etc.

I thought that BTV use CAT like Sophon do. I get easily get 10+mbs within Thailand from my Sophon connection but when I try to do anything to/from the UK it all falls down and I'm lucky to get 1 or 2mbs which certainly wont let me stream any sort of video. From the US I often get nearly the same speed as within Thailand and video streaming is no problem.