Work permit renewal and non-b extension - what comes first?

You need to get the sequencing right.

1) Apply at Labour for WP renewal (TT5), if all the papers are ok then you will be given a TT5 receipt (A5 sized slip of paper) and you then pay the stage 1 fee (100 THB) - make sure you have 2x copies of your WP for Immigration.

2) Apply at Immigration for the 777/2551 Case 2.1 Extrension of Permission to stay including showing 2x copies of the TT5 Receipt and WP, if all is ok you then get the one month conditional stamp in your passport.

3) Go back to Labour with a copy of your new 'Under Consideration' Case 2.1 'Working in the Kingdom Of Thailand' One Month Stamp, your WP application will then be processed.

4) Once your WP is Extended (should be within 3 days) you then pick it up from Labour and pay the one year fee balance of 3,000 THB.

5) Go back to Immigration after 30 Days and get the balance of your One Year Case 2.1 Extension Stamp.

Edited by digitalchromakey

1) Apply at Labour for WP renewal (TT5), if all the papers are ok then you will be given a TT5 receipt (A5 sized slip of paper) and you then pay the stage 1 fee (100 THB) - make sure you have 2x copies of your WP for Immigration.

2) Apply at Immigration for the 777/2551 Case 2.1 Extrension of Permission to stay including showing 2x copies of the TT5 Receipt and WP, if all is ok you then get the one month conditional stamp in your passport.

3) Go back to Labour with a copy of your new 'Under Consideration' Case 2.1 'Working in the Kingdom Of Thailand' One Month Stamp, your WP application will then be processed.

4) Once your WP is Extended (should be within 3 days) you then pick it up from Labour and pay the one year fee balance of 3,000 THB.

5) Go back to Immigration after 30 Days and get the balance of your One Year Case 2.1 Extension Stamp.

I've never done it that way before. It's always been a quick trip to the work permit office followed by another quick trip to immigration. No need for conditional stamps or anything like that.

I've never done it that way before. It's always been a quick trip to the work permit office followed by another quick trip to immigration. No need for conditional stamps or anything like that.

Lucky you, the order of events can depend on several factors.

In my area for those who work (and as I understand it for most of Thailand) with both Case 2.1 and 2.18 extensions the 30 day Immigration Conditional Permission to Stay Stamp is the norm, as one set of the TM7 papers need to be sent off the regional head office for final approval.

But for example my WP and Extension currently both expire within the same week, plus my local Labour Dept (HKT) will not renew a WP with only a few days remaining on an existing extension of Permission to Stay, so they want to see a new stamp from Immigration before they will complete the process to renew the WP if you apply to renew too close to the WP expiry date.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Just did my 21st year renewal on Monday and as has always been for the last several years, went to immigration 1st for my one year extension based on work then head over to labor directly after with my updated annual extension of permission to stay and get my one year work permit renewal. 3000 Baht + 100 Baht at one time and 15 minutes later my WP is signed and given to me. No conditional stamps, not after the 1st 10 years or so working when local immigration could not approve extensions for work and was sent to Bangkok. They (local immigration office) have authorization for immediate approval of 1 year extensions based on work without approval of Bangkok. This is Chiang Mai.

---------------------------

In Bangkok or other major areas processing may be done in one day.

Up country the documentation may need to go through Bangkok first from those locations,

That's why they give the 30 day "case under consideration" stamp in those up-country locations .... they are waiting for final approval from Bangkok.

Once that is done you return for the final approval and pay the fee.

It's just an administrative thing .... waiting for final approval from "higher up".

Edited by Tywais
Fixed quote

In  Bangkok or other major areas processing may be done in one day.

Up country the documentation may need to go through Bangkok first from those locations,

That's why they give the 30 day "case under consideration" stamp in those up-country locations .... they are waiting for final approval from Bangkok.

Once that is done you return for the final approval and pay the fee.

It's just an administrative thing .... waiting for final approval from "higher up".

Bangkok immigration does the under consideration stamps as well as other large and small offices. In some cases they even make visits to the work place. This is part of the local decision making process not at the regional level (Bangkok, Khorat, Chiang Mai and Songkla).

If they do a under consideration stamp the fee has already been paid. If disapproved the 1900 baht fee is gone.

Lucky you, the order of events can depend on several factors.

In my area for those who work (and as I understand it for most of Thailand) with both Case 2.1 and 2.18 extensions the 30 day Immigration Conditional Permission to Stay Stamp is the norm, as one set of the TM7 papers need to be sent off the regional head office for final approval.

But for example my WP and Extension currently both expire within the same week, plus my local Labour Dept (HKT) will not renew a WP with only a few days remaining on an existing extension of Permission to Stay, so they want to see a new stamp from Immigration before they will complete the process to renew the WP if you apply to renew too close to the WP expiry date.

Forgot to mention as regards order of events that Phuket Immigration will not consider a new Case 2.1(Working in the Kingdom of Thailand)/Case 2.18 (Family member of Thai, working in Thailand) when the Extension/WP expiry dates are similar unless the WP has been renewed or a renewal application successfuly filed with Labour (with fresh WP5/TT5 Receipt plus copy of WP along with other normal evidence).

See 2.1 application criteriae attached below:

My experience just last week in Bangkok suggests OP's staff is right.

I had my WP and non-B extension both expiring at the end of this month. Went to Labour first but was told they couldn't accept my application with the non-B extension expiring so soon (10 days) and on the same day as my then current WP. So off to CW for the extension, which was granted no questions asked, and next day back to Labour, who then renewed my WP within the hour.

For me. the company I work for takes care of all of that.

I beleive you might be able to go to one of the "One Stop Shops" and they will do the visa and work permit within one day.

They issue me with a 2 year visa and a 2 year wp.

Only employes of certain companies can use the One Stop Service Centre.

I renewed both last month. I actually did the WP first, then the visa extension. It didn't sound logical to me to ask for an extension based on work when the WP was about to expire, but it looks like I was wrong looking at other members answers.

• Has anyone ever gone through the process with an O multi and WP. WP dated about a week after the O multi was issued. ?
Should not be a problem if O is for marriage.

Yes for marriage. I generally work short term contract but this time it might go for a couple of years. Previously never long enough to go through renewing WP.

I renewed both last month. I actually did the WP first, then the visa extension. It didn't sound logical to me to ask for an extension based on work when the WP was about to expire, but it looks like I was wrong looking at other members answers.

My last 4 renewals have been done WP first and then extension. Bangkok have not been involved for over 10 years. I am in Issan.

I have had problems for 3 years with the Associate Legal representative hired to do my Work Permit renewal, and plan to do the next renewal myself.

The links to the Labour Department are not opening the Government web page and a google search comes up with the usual Lawyers web pages.

Do you have any links that work?

Thanks in advance.

Very useful thread for me, thanks all.

Sorry to hijack but I would love to clarify my own situation.

My WP expires in December, my visa will expire in January. It is my first WP and our company is new so only paid it's first lot of taxes earlier this year.

This is the first time I am eligible for an extension. I have had to do visa runs this year and could leave in Jan to get another 90 days.

If I go to immigration with the receipts from labour will they extend for me no problem?

Thanks in advance

ATTACHMENT TO ROYAL THAI POLICE HEADQUARTERS ORDER NO. 777/2551 dated

November 25, 2008 Income Table Referred to Clause 2.1 (2)

Nationality Minimum Income

1. European countries(except Russia),Australia

continent, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A.

Baht 50,000/month

2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong Baht 45,000/month

3. Asian countries (except Japan, South Korea,

Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia,

Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam),South America

continent, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in

Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South

Africa

Baht 35,000/month