Rules or how many 14 days visa exemption allowable?

Im a kiwi that arrived some time ago.... I havent applied for either a retirement or an education visa yet. So far Ive been able to stay here legally by using either the 14 day exemptions or heading across to Vientainne and getting a double entry visa.

Ive done the Myanmar crossing at Mae Sai quite a lot and on last trip was told by Thai Immigration that only 1 more crossing. I will abide by that and probably go to Laos again.

Does anyone know of the rules or how many times one can use the 14 day exemption/visa before having to leave the kingdom? Perhaps I have inadvertantly 'abused' the system? That is not my wish but heck....I do love this place!

"Im a kiwi that arrived some time ago.... I havent applied for either a retirement or an education visa yet. So far Ive been able to stay here legally by using either the 14 day exemptions or heading across to Vientainne and getting a double entry visa.

Ive done the Myanmar crossing at Mae Sai quite a lot and on last trip was told by Thai Immigration that only 1 more crossing. I will abide by that and probably go to Laos again.

Does anyone know of the rules or how many times one can use the 14 day exemption/visa before having to leave the kingdom? Perhaps I have inadvertantly 'abused' the system? That is not my wish but heck....I do love this place!" (sic)

You have broken no laws but you have abused the "spirit" in which visa exempt entries and tourist visas are offered.

in my opinion you need to become "legal" if you wish to remain in Thailand for an extended period. If your over 50 then you can apply for an extension of stay (assuming you can meet the financial requirements) or look at the possibility of an ED visa which will again involve a not inconsiderable cost,

Continued "border" hopping will eventually result in very few options being available.

edit

NB

Meant to say serial border hopping on visa exempt entries or back to back tourist visas will give the immigration officials reason to believe you are not a tourist but rather someone who is working illegally.

Edited by Sceptict11

whistling.gif As others have sad there are no official rules on how many times you can cross the border like hat.

However, you are obviously stretching their patience at this point and they are warning you are at the limit of their tolerance.

You're next trip crossing the border should include stopping at the Thai consulate somewhere to get at least a single entry tourist visa stamped in your passport. A double entry would be better, but a single entry tourist visa giving you a 60 day stay and a possible 30 day extension at immigration in Thailand is what they want from you as proof of your "tourist" intentions. They are beginning to think that you might be working illegally in Thailand.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I just wonder when officials start asking financial evidence from border runners.

You not only abuse exempt system, you not profitable for country too. In case you obtain VISA you will pay for government. And I really cant understand every 2 weeks runs. You will spend in 2 months more than you can spend in 2 entry tourist VISA including trip to Laos. And when you hold tourist VISA, you can extend it up to 6 month with just one border run and 2 immigration extensions.

So, stop abusing system, just follow rules.

Practically you can do runs as long as you can, but your entry to Kingdom as entry to ANY country may be denied regardless of extemt or even VISA and do there runs you just increase risk.

• Like 1

It has been reported that the limit at Mae Sai is 4 exempt entries.

You can get a 2 entry tourist visa or a single entry non-o for being 50 or over in Vientiane.

The non-o could be used to get an extension for retirement or for going to school without having to go out again for a visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

It has been reported that the limit at Mae Sai is 4 exempt entries. You can get a 2 entry tourist visa or a single entry non-o for being 50 or over in Vientiane. The non-o could be used to get an extension for retirement or for going to school without having to go out again for a visa.

i thought the non-o required family

It has been reported that the limit at Mae Sai is 4 exempt entries. You can get a 2 entry tourist visa or a single entry non-o for being 50 or over in Vientiane. The non-o could be used to get an extension for retirement or for going to school without having to go out again for a visa.

A non-o can be issued for many reasons.

In this case it would be for being 50 or over making a person eligible for a retirement extension. There are some locations that will not do it. Vientiane and other nearby locations do them regularly.

Thanks for the feed back guys, as I said I dont want to rock the boat or abuse the system. I'll do a double entry visa from Laos and then apply for a retirement visa.

Ive never been in trouble with the law and certainly dont want to join the ranks of those that come here and make it harder for the rest by being A-holes or overstayers.

As an aside, I knew of a French guy who did the visa run from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai every 2 weeks for over a year! No thanks... too much wasted time.

A non-o can be issued for many reasons.

In this case it would be for being 50 or over making a person eligible for a retirement extension. There are some locations that will not do it. Vientiane and other nearby locations do them regularly.

yeah, vancouver doesnt mention that option specifically but i guess it could be contained in the "other"category

If you are Canadian they would not do it in Vancouver they only do OA's. A honorary consulate would do it.

vancouver is a consulate. i have got multi entry non-o's there plenty of times. nowadays i just use double or triple entry tourists with extensions which gives me more than enough time each year.

For marriage to a Thai yes but not retirement. Official consulates and embassy have same rules. Vancouver is an official one.

yeah, they point me toward an O-A

7. For the purpose of retirement in Thailand, the applicant must be at least 50 years of age, must submit documentation showing proof of retirement, and must include his or her bank statement indicating monthly/annual income along with the visa application. Follow this link for detailed information regarding "Non-Immigrant O-A Visas (one year visa)".

weird that honourary ones make it easier!