Bringing 2 dogs from Australia to Thailand

Thanks all for replies. Taking them as excess luggage is not an option with Thai ,Quantas , Virgin or Singapore airlines, as all mentioned no longer deal with pet cargo and will only deal via company such as Jetpets.

This might be a new rule as I was advised by all mentioned - must use a company.

I know to avoid import duties, one has to be on the same flight, though no doubt it will not stop some extortion.

The $3800 covers all costs including vet and crates.

My concern at the moment as confirmed by someone and a friend, jetpet stop to do anything once arrived, which is somewhat strange because in quotation they state door to door service, so it should include handling all matters with Thai customs also.

Mine included everything including the transport to HH. Wait for the joy when they see you again. My daschhund nearly had a heart attack and the lab jacked knived waging her tail.

lol. I hope they will not be too joyful or they will have a heart attack as they are both pensioners 14 and 12 years old. Might need a standby vet :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$3,800 for two dogs sounds exorbitant. We moved ours from Hong Kong to Thailand at the end of last year. We found a guy who handled our Thai paperwork from the HK side for maybe A$75. I took care of updating all her shots (rabies is the most important one as far as Thailand is concerned), and went to the relevant government offices in person to finalize the vaccination documents. She was checked in as excess baggage on our Cathay Pacific flight, and we collected her near the bag claim at Suvarnabhumi. All told, I don't think it cost more than a few hundred Oz. Either there's something about Australian export law that makes it that expensive, or JetPets is making one hell of a margin.

Um, think the cost of freight?? Size of the pet cage?? Larger, more distance means more money. Does a big bottle of beer cost more than a small bottle?

• Like 1

You can actually do it yourself. Try TG (Thai Airways) as they have a pet policy. The dogs can travel with you on the same flight as AVIH or something like that which means animal in hold. They would be billed as excess baggage including the crate. So if you dog weighs says 30 kilos crated, you will pay 30 x whatever the excess baggage rate is. You just bring the crate, dog and all when you check in. Make sure they have water & some snacks with them. You need to advise TG via e-mail beforehand so they can clear with the captain and crew. They will then confirm to you back via e-mail that everything has been arranged and all you would need to do is bring your dogs when you check in. If you keep an eye out whilst they are loading the plane you will even see your dog loaded on board. Once on board double check with the chief steward that everything is in order.

You need to have an export permit from where you are coming from. And then you would need an import permit from Thailand. I know someone who did this as they do not trust anyone else to care for their pet as much as they do and all they paid was THB1000 upon arrival in Thailand. When they went to pick up their baggage at the carousel, the crate was already there in front of the big baggage area.

I can confirm this. There is a vet counter in the arrival hall and they are very good. But make sure that the company in Australia or youself sends it as above and not as freight. Otherwise you will have no end of problems

been said before and i will say it again

dogs and their owners are inseparable

the ones that opose the OP to bringing his dog must have had a bad experience with dogs somewhere in life or just lack the education from having a dog as a friend

true there are too many stray dogs in thailand but those two impotred ones aint gonna push up the numbers ( cos after all if they still can breed their ofspring will not end up on the street )

i am a lover of dogs been with dogs all my life (as a pet from me and the family ) had bouvier , mechelse shepard german shepards , dobermanns , rothweiler , and pitbull , forgot the jack russel

and this little local breed muth that's running around now , love and loved em all none ever aggressive or to dominating

• Like 1

$3,800 for two dogs sounds exorbitant. We moved ours from Hong Kong to Thailand at the end of last year. We found a guy who handled our Thai paperwork from the HK side for maybe A$75. I took care of updating all her shots (rabies is the most important one as far as Thailand is concerned), and went to the relevant government offices in person to finalize the vaccination documents. She was checked in as excess baggage on our Cathay Pacific flight, and we collected her near the bag claim at Suvarnabhumi. All told, I don't think it cost more than a few hundred Oz. Either there's something about Australian export law that makes it that expensive, or JetPets is making one hell of a margin.

Um, think the cost of freight?? Size of the pet cage?? Larger, more distance means more money. Does a big bottle of beer cost more than a small bottle?

Um, no. Read it again. Excess baggage, not freight. For excess baggage you pay by the kg, maybe twenty bucks per. So for a 15kg dog, you're talking an extra $300. The whole point is NOT to ship a dog as freight.

• Like 1

I think you will find that it is the airlines insisting that you use the company as there is a process and they simply dont want to deal with individuals on this process who are guessing their way through it,

One point that needs to be considered is that if you suddenly decide you need to move back to Australia the process of moving the pets back will be far more complicated if not impossible.

Um, no. Read it again. Excess baggage, not freight. For excess baggage you pay by the kg, maybe twenty bucks per. So for a 15kg dog, you're talking an extra $300. The whole point is NOT to ship a dog as freight.

Um, are you going to carry a 15kg dog on your lap?

No, no more than you would carry your suitcase on your lap. The dog goes where the luggage goes. That's different from freight. Your luggage isn't charged like freight, and neither is the dog. If you have an extra 15kg in your bags, you'll get charged an extra $300. If you have a 15kg dog, you check it in just like your luggage and pay an extra $300. Capiche?

No, no more than you would carry your suitcase on your lap. The dog goes where the luggage goes. That's different from freight. Your luggage isn't charged like freight, and neither is the dog. If you have an extra 15kg in your bags, you'll get charged an extra $300. If you have a 15kg dog, you check it in just like your luggage and pay an extra $300. Capiche?

I think you'll find it's based on the size of the pet cage, comprende?

Maybe some airlines do it that way. Many don't. Again, I'm talking about transporting the pet as check-in baggage. That's the way I did it, and that's the only way I've been talking about. So do me a favor: Quit thinking about cargo and Google it. I just did. For example, on a KLM flight from the US (or further) to Amsterdam, it's US$200 to transport a pet that size in the luggage hold.

And even if an airline charges more for weight/ size and distance, I can't imagine the cost approaches what was quoted to lemoncake.

I went through every stage of Hell bringing my dogs from the USA and then trying to leave Thailand ten years later with my beloved Thai dog.

After the whole experience all I can say is DO NOT BRING YOUR PETS TO THAILAND.

Both my shepherds died, under horrible circumstances, their flights plus being taken by the Cargo people came to about 40,000 baht. The Thai people hated us for having dogs. Maids wouldn't work for us. Gardeners stayed away. Neighbors poison them. One died from Cobra bite.

The diseases they get here are vicious. The animals suffer. Then 10 years later I try to bring my Thai dog out of Thailand --- they lost her for 2 days, she was left in a crate filled with urine , no food or water until we found her. We greased more palms than I can count. Total cost and suffering = around $5000 US by the time she finished.

The whole thing was without question, the worst thing I ( and my pets) have ever been through.

Oh, and who will care for them when you need to go on Visa run or in hospital? No one or worse, these monsters that claim they care for your animal and you come home to a dead dog in a crate.

Please don't do this to yourself or your animals. Seriously.

I went through every stage of Hell bringing my dogs from the USA and then trying to leave Thailand ten years later with my beloved Thai dog.

After the whole experience all I can say is DO NOT BRING YOUR PETS TO THAILAND.

Both my shepherds died, under horrible circumstances, their flights plus being taken by the Cargo people came to about 40,000 baht. The Thai people hated us for having dogs. Maids wouldn't work for us. Gardeners stayed away. Neighbors poison them. One died from Cobra bite.

The diseases they get here are vicious. The animals suffer. Then 10 years later I try to bring my Thai dog out of Thailand --- they lost her for 2 days, she was left in a crate filled with urine , no food or water until we found her. We greased more palms than I can count. Total cost and suffering = around $5000 US by the time she finished.

The whole thing was without question, the worst thing I ( and my pets) have ever been through.

Oh, and who will care for them when you need to go on Visa run or in hospital? No one or worse, these monsters that claim they care for your animal and you come home to a dead dog in a crate.

Please don't do this to yourself or your animals. Seriously.

Ok, now I changed my mind , will just dump the dogs on the street. Because may be one day after a decade of living in Thailand, having 3 dogs and 8 cats already I might need to do a visa run so the 2 dogs may die.

Thank you for your input and such useful information

• Like 1

I brought one small dog from Melbourne to Pattaya in May last year. Door to Door service using Jet Pets, cost 2500, excellent service, all paperwork, customs clearance arranged by Jet Pets and dog delivered safe and well by car to Pattaya. Dog has settled really well and neither the heat or other dogs are any problem whatsoever. The most difficult part of the whole process was insuring all required vaccinations were given on the specified dates, Jet Pet will advise you what is required and when. Quite frankly to try and do this yourself I personally think would be a nightmare. My dog is now 14 and is loving his life here. Best wishes to you for a trouble free transfer for your 2 dogs.

• Like 1

Maybe some airlines do it that way. Many don't. Again, I'm talking about transporting the pet as check-in baggage. That's the way I did it, and that's the only way I've been talking about. So do me a favor: Quit thinking about cargo and Google it. I just did. For example, on a KLM flight from the US (or further) to Amsterdam, it's US$200 to transport a pet that size in the luggage hold.

And even if an airline charges more for weight/ size and distance, I can't imagine the cost approaches what was quoted to lemoncake.

No. All airlines charge based on volumetric weight or actual, whichever is the highest. Do you think you can transport your 4kg chihuahua in 1 cubic metre cage and be charged for the 4kg only?? Suggest you google it.

I brought one small dog from Melbourne to Pattaya in May last year. Door to Door service using Jet Pets, cost 2500, excellent service, all paperwork, customs clearance arranged by Jet Pets and dog delivered safe and well by car to Pattaya. Dog has settled really well and neither the heat or other dogs are any problem whatsoever. The most difficult part of the whole process was insuring all required vaccinations were given on the specified dates, Jet Pet will advise you what is required and when. Quite frankly to try and do this yourself I personally think would be a nightmare. My dog is now 14 and is loving his life here. Best wishes to you for a trouble free transfer for your 2 dogs.

Thank you :), did jet pet handle the Thai side of things? And did you fly with the dog or separate ?

Jet Pet handled all required paperwork, ie export permit from Australia, Import permit to Thailand, paperwork this end handled by Jet Pets agent in Bangkok. Delivery of Dog to Pattaya handled by bangkok agent. Unfortunately because our dog is a maltese/ shitzu cross the only airline that would accept him was China airlines therefore he could not travel with us on Thai, he arrived one day later but was fine and well, he had obviously been well looked after on his travels. As a matter of interest I also used Jet Pets 10 years ago to take 2 dogs to the UK, again no probs whatsoever. You may incurr an additional charge for using the Thai Agents In Bangkok, cant remeber how much but dont think it was over the top, a few weeks after his arrival we eceived an import bill from customs but it was only two hundred baht payable at Bangkok Bank.Hope this is helpful to you.

No. All airlines charge based on volumetric weight or actual, whichever is the highest. Do you think you can transport your 4kg chihuahua in 1 cubic metre cage and be charged for the 4kg only?? Suggest you google it.

You're refusing to address the very specific subject of international pet transport via passenger airline. You've been confronted with facts from two airlines -- from a guy who very recently did this -- yet you're still banging on about the general principles of cargo. Fine, from KLM: http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/excess/bagagge_piececoncept.htm

Scroll to the bottom where it says "Fees for Pets". You'll see that unless you're transporting an English mastiff, this airline has a very specific way of handling and charging for pet transport on passenger flights, almost irrespective of length of flight and size of dog (up to 75kg). You could fly to/ from Amsterdam to/ from anywhere the airline flies around the world, and it's US$200 to transport a dog as check-in luggage -- whether it's a Chihuahua or a German shepherd. (Nobody would allow you to transport a Chihuahua in a 1-meter kennel, so that's a dumb hypothetical. You're required to get a kennel that's appropriate for your dog.)

Now, if you still insist on arguing unrelated points, then you're either being willfully ignorant to save face, or you're a troll. Whichever -- I'm done here.

Hi Lemoncake....

my wife and i brought 3 dogs from Australia with us and 2 cats to Phuket, not an issue as someone mentioned but you should use one of the Pet transport companies i cannot remember

who we used but they were fantastic ensuring safety of pets and on/off flights asap. they even deliver them to residence first in singapore and then phuket. also the pet transport

company can do all the relevant paper work for you and pick up and collect and deliver....

my wife has just returned from USA with a puppy we could only get from there and did all the paper work herself with Animal Immigration in Phuket who are great to work with and no issues.

it was easier for her to do this as she was able to fly with the puppy in cabin in First Class on Korean airlines from Atlanta to Seoul then the puppy also flew in the cabin with Korean airlines

from Seoul to Phuket directly, the puppy and carry on bag for puppy had to be under 10 kgs from memory... thai airlines also allow onboard but again max 10 kgs..

the total cost USA/SEOUL/PHUKET for puppy was only USD$50.00 much cheaper then my wifes airfare...

so all in all its not an issue. its just whether you wish to bring older dogs over or as there are many many dogs here you could also adopt some from SOI DOGS whom we donate to a very good

cause...

good luck

Hi Lemoncake....

my wife and i brought 3 dogs from Australia with us and 2 cats to Phuket, not an issue as someone mentioned but you should use one of the Pet transport companies i cannot remember

who we used but they were fantastic ensuring safety of pets and on/off flights asap. they even deliver them to residence first in singapore and then phuket. also the pet transport

company can do all the relevant paper work for you and pick up and collect and deliver....

my wife has just returned from USA with a puppy we could only get from there and did all the paper work herself with Animal Immigration in Phuket who are great to work with and no issues.

it was easier for her to do this as she was able to fly with the puppy in cabin in First Class on Korean airlines from Atlanta to Seoul then the puppy also flew in the cabin with Korean airlines

from Seoul to Phuket directly, the puppy and carry on bag for puppy had to be under 10 kgs from memory... thai airlines also allow onboard but again max 10 kgs..

the total cost USA/SEOUL/PHUKET for puppy was only USD$50.00 much cheaper then my wifes airfare...

so all in all its not an issue. its just whether you wish to bring older dogs over or as there are many many dogs here you could also adopt some from SOI DOGS whom we donate to a very good

cause...

good luck

Thanks for your post. I have already adopted/ rescued 3 dogs and 8 cats in Thailand . These 2 were my mothers dogs, who just passed away.

So the 2 pensioners are coming to join already big pack to live out their life :).

They are old but healthy and do not look the age, hope they still have a few years in them :)

• Like 2

Jet Pet handled all required paperwork, ie export permit from Australia, Import permit to Thailand, paperwork this end handled by Jet Pets agent in Bangkok. Delivery of Dog to Pattaya handled by bangkok agent. Unfortunately because our dog is a maltese/ shitzu cross the only airline that would accept him was China airlines therefore he could not travel with us on Thai, he arrived one day later but was fine and well, he had obviously been well looked after on his travels. As a matter of interest I also used Jet Pets 10 years ago to take 2 dogs to the UK, again no probs whatsoever. You may incurr an additional charge for using the Thai Agents In Bangkok, cant remeber how much but dont think it was over the top, a few weeks after his arrival we eceived an import bill from customs but it was only two hundred baht payable at Bangkok Bank.Hope this is helpful to you.

Just clarifying...

Jet Pets you say?

Brought my Jack Russell from Singapore to Thailand on Thai Airlines, not a problem. Came onboard in the cabin with us. Cost S$500 in excess baggage, probably would have been cheaper in the cargo hold.

Customs has a special office in Swampy always open, bring your export permit from Aust., shots record and bht 100 per dog.

Alas, TG just changed policy and no longer allows this. They have to go in the hold. sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

why would you want to bring a dog to thailand from OZ poor dog will overheat with the weather here..

What!!! do you rekon Oz is a cool country,hotter than here mate.Thai's complain that the sun bites them.

Coming from Oz, climatic adjustment should be minimal.

And plenty of people have brought dogs to Thailand from temperate climates (which obviously Oz is not) and been able to see to a successful and healthy adjustment. It is harder if they are long-haired, but still possible with proper care.

I think we can assume that anyone who cares enough for their animals to be bringing them here by plane, will know how to safely care for them after arrival.

why would you want to bring a dog to thailand from OZ poor dog will overheat with the weather here..

What!!! do you rekon Oz is a cool country,hotter than here mate.Thai's complain that the sun bites them.

Coming from Oz, climatic adjustment should be minimal.

And plenty of people have brought dogs to Thailand from temperate climates (which obviously Oz is not) and been able to see to a successful and healthy adjustment. It is harder if they are long-haired, but still possible with proper care.

I think we can assume that anyone who cares enough for their animals to be bringing them here by plane, will know how to safely care for them after arrival.

One of the oldies is a samoyed,so she will get hot, but i always keep my dogs inside the house and always with fan or air.

For the walks, my dogs in Thailand, go to the park with lake where they run in to cool down when hot, so i do not think samoyed will have a problem.

As a last resort, she can always visit a beauty parlor to have a trim :)

PS. Sheryl, i wanted to thank you for your advise on another thread, i am so glad i listened and went back in time.

My mother did pass away very fast, and i am so glad i was here to help her and stayed with her even when she passed.

So thanks again for advice and if i may suggest, may be make a thread in womens section advising women to go for regular checks and keep an eye out as Ovarian cancer is hard to catch and often found when its too late.

• Like 1