Computer Books

x-pat

Last week I have scoured the city for computer books, but I wasn't able to find anything. In fact I did not even see a minimal collection of English language computer books at any of the book stores, not to mention specialty titles on Java programming. Are there any?

Bangkok has Kinokunya, DK, and several others. Some of the selections, such as the one at Siam Square and Kinokunya/Siam Paragon are excellent. Is there anything comparable in CNX?

Of course, there is always Amazon... but that's a 3 weeks wait for the delivery.

Cheers, X-pat

Normally, the one-word answer to this question is 'Amazon.com'. :o

However for something as mainstream as Java you may very well find something at the larger SE-ED branches, such as the one at Carrefour downstairs.

Also there's places in Bangkok, I think you can order from. ("Bookazine"???)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Hey X-pat,

Unfortunately Chiang Mai is somewhat barren on the computer book front. Normally Amazon.co.uk or I pick them up in Bangkok (Pantip Plaza bookshop, I think 3rd floor is EXCELLENT because all their English language computer books are imported from India so you pay close to Indian rupee prices - normally about 50-80% discount on European costs). I have a veritable library of programming E-books which you could print out cheaply (like most Thai students do) or read on-screen - email me offlist and I can burn you a few CDs :-) Also my print library contains a quite a few technical computer books, so maybe we could borrow some stuff off each other.

Also check out CMU library, you can pay a fee and get a non-student membership.

If you want to buy your own printed material, at Pantip near the night bazaar, the bookshop on the ground floor has the best selection I know of in CM. They stock about 3 shelves of English language computer books.

Suriwong and DK in CM don't really carry them (although DK did recently have some old stock computer books). Occasionally you'll get a few at a secondhand English language bookshop, but most of those shops are unwilling to touch computer books because they go out of date so quickly (and probably because they don't know what's useful to others and what's now a waste of space).

Hope that helps.

:-)

Rich

You guys are all wet behind the ears...

go to http://safari.oreilly.com/

Oreilly who publishes the widest selection and in many cases best computer books has a service that lets you read any of their books online in PDF format.

They have different plans ranging between $12 and $20 a month and you can read about 10 books a month.. Also they are searchable. Allow off line viewing. The first 2 to 4 weeks is free trial.

A great deal for me because I mostly just use books for quick reference and being able to search really is the greatest value. They have a system where you get so many tokens and have shelf space where you check out books... A little clunky at times but good once you get the hang of it. Never again will I pay for and drag a book around when I have alternatives like this.

• 2 weeks later...

nothing beats a book as a book should be though. i can't stand reading off the screen. hurts the eye! and i am not old!

How do you read this forum? :o

well not with the same attention i would for a book with in-depth knowledge. speed reading a forum is possible. try reading a novel on your screen. see if thats enjoyable to you. it would be hel_l for me. but everyone's different.

incidently i got my SUSE Linux bible 10 at Se-ed Carrefour. ask for a discount and you get 5% off. The price ended up cheaper that what i would pay at Amazon.com without the shipping costs included. lucky me. oh but please you guys. stay on e-books if you want to. up to you.

Edited by tigerbeer

Fairly well dependent on what display and graphics driver etc a person is using. I use a new Apple LCD and man its so bright and crisp I rarely turn it up all the way bright.

A few days ago I jumped on a friends HP Laptop and thought <deleted> I can hardly see it and it was on A/C power and display at brightest setting. Poor bastard ;-)

The Apple setup sure costs more but it's a good as paid for by the savings on books. BTW the real story is almost all up to date info is contained now days in WIKI's etc and user/developer forums. I rarely see the need these days to bother with Ebooks let alone printed books.

Fairly well dependent on what display and graphics driver etc a person is using. I use a new Apple LCD and man its so bright and crisp I rarely turn it up all the way bright.

A few days ago I jumped on a friends HP Laptop and thought <deleted> I can hardly see it and it was on A/C power and display at brightest setting. Poor bastard ;-)

The Apple setup sure costs more but it's a good as paid for by the savings on books. BTW the real story is almost all up to date info is contained now days in WIKI's etc and user/developer forums. I rarely see the need these days to bother with Ebooks let alone printed books.

you are right. nothing beats the wealth of information available on wiki's, forums etc but we were really talking about reading books online.