Accurate Weather Forecasts

beau thai

It seems very difficult to get a reasonably accurate forecast for Chiang mai City.

Not sure if it is a data collection problem, or difficult terrain with surrounding mountains - or maybe I have not just found the right websites?

Anyone found a reasonably accurate forecast for even just 24 hours ahead-if so your advice on websites addresses would be very welcome?

Just wait a few months and they are all right, sunny. But it is hard now with small rain storms coming in and dumping here and there and then heading back out. Pretty much I go by season and just am prepared for whatever time of year it is. I don't plan my first large bbq until late October for instance.

• Like 2

I think the CM terrain has a lot to do with it.For example it can be pouring rain coming out of the city and dry as a chip in Hang Dong, or the reverse.

I've also tried all the web sites and most cover by saying sunny with a %age chance of rain ,a sort of an each way bet. The bonus is that there are settled seasons and we can expect late October through to March as being dry,cooler and sunny most days,great time of the year.

This is the site I use when I'm on my boat and I have found it to be useful.

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=44485&sty=m_spot

WX forecasting in the inland tropics where there are no real fronts, land/sea breezes or rotating storms is particularly difficult.

edit - so I just checked and for 1pm they are forecasting wind E @ 4 knots (8kph), temp 32C, cloud cover 89% and 0.3mm of rainfall over the next 3 hours. I'm not there so you can check the accuracy!

Edited by cloudhopper

Thanks for all your input - I will check out the suggestions. My challenge is to book a tee time and not invest in a round of golf that gets rained off halfway around!

Most times of year it's not a problem of course but just now, it's tricky

Here is the only real time radar sweep of Chiang Mai and surrounding area that I know of. It does give you a heads up before leaving home.

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/lmpLoop.php

Many thanks, though not sure I am smart enough to interpret it. Takes practise maybe..

As a previous poster said, the weather can be so local - very different in Hang Dong or Nong Hoi for example .

But I put off golf today as my forecast (yr.no) said heavy rain this afternoon - and guess what?! Heavy cloud but sunny and dry. Still, saved me the frustration that goes with playing badly I guess. wai2.gif

Pretty much I go by season and just am prepared for whatever time of year it is.

Yes, that. And for the very short term, there is this: http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/lmp.php

But an accurate prediction you can forget about, unless it's for example major rain from the remnants of tropical storms that you get this time of year. But even those aren't very accurate when it comes to severity; sometimes a warning goes out for major rain, but then hardly anything transpires out of the usual rainy season weather, with some afternoon or early evening snowers.