Light-fingered job-seeker nabbed for Phuket hotel thefts

webfact

Light-fingered job-seeker nabbed for Phuket hotel thefts
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_Mr_Teerawat_center_at_the_tim
Mr Teerawat (center) at the time of his arrest. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- An out-of-town job-hunter applying for positions in Phuket’s hotel industry has been arrested for stealing from hotel guestrooms.

Following a tip-off from a Patong hotel manager, police arrested Teerawat Yordying, 29, from Trang province.

“We searched all over Phuket for Mr Teerawat. Finally, at 11:30pm [on Tuesday], we found him in an entertainment venue area on Srisena Road in Phuket Town,” said Col Somsak Tongkliang of the Patong Police.

Mr Teerawat was arrested and charged with theft.

“I’ve stolen goods from more than 10 guestrooms. I do not target people; I only want their property. I generally steal mobile phones and tablets because they can be easily exchanged for cash,” Mr Teerawat confessed to police.

“I spent the money on enjoying myself in entertainment venues and with prostitutes,” he added.

But Mr Teerawat maintained that he is still looking for a job, telling the police, “I do not care about what the work is. I simply want to work in a hotel.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Light-fingered-job-seeker-nabbed-for-Phuket-hotel-thefts-22341.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-26

Common practice for Thai job seekers? My wife opened a salon and a young girl came in asking for work, saying she'd work for free just to get some experience. My wife wasn't sure and the girl asked to borrow her phone to call her boyfriend to pick her up, she left a wallet/purse on the table and slipped out of the front door and promptly did a runner. We realised something was up and looked at the purse to find another woman's ID. I went out on our motorbike for a look around and to my amazement found her on a bike buying a coconut in the middle of Khon Kaen city. When I pulled up she took off at high speed hurling the coconut at me. Having been a lifelong biker I caught her and when we brought the police in it turned out the bike was stolen and she had been doing this to salons across Khon Kaen.

Beware of job seekers.

• Like 1