Where to obtain THAI Internation Driving License

roly

Hi,

I have a Thai motorbike license, and am of to Japan soon on holiday. Apparently you can drive there with a Thai license but you need an international license FROM Thailand as well. Any ideas where I could get this - presumably just at the transport centre where I actually got my permit in the first place....though I have never heard anyone in Thailand ever mention getting an actual Thai version of the IDP.

Ta

You can get an international driving licence at the transport center in Bangkok. It is easy and costs Bt500

all you have to do is produce a valid Thai Driving Licence and a photo. It is a proper IDT with pages in different major languages. It is valid for one year and can be used in any country except Thailand

• Like 1

The only internationally recognized IDP's are from the AAA or an affiliate of AAA.

I found some Japanese companies that rent big bikes (e.g. http://japanbikerentals.com/license_requirements.html) which state:

"If your license was issued in one of the following countries, you will need an official International Driving Permit from the same country, in addition to your original motorcycle license. (These countries have all signed and ratified the 1949 "Geneva Convention on Road Traffic" and are therefore legally recognized in Japan)" and it goes on to state Thailand as one of those countries.

I'm sure that it is possible to get the IDP here - perhaps there are some Thai authorities that are affiliates with AAA...?

I've checked and Japan does recognisie Thai licenses.

Also thre was another post in this forum:

"Yes you can get an international driving permit based on your Thai license, need the following:

A full 5 year Thai DL

Copy of your PP

2 X PP photos

THB 500 odd

"

I'll look into it and let you know what happens.

Would be hilarious if I could actually use my Thai bike license to ride a motorbike in the UK with the Thai-issued international license/permit....probably not, considering they probably ought to know the standard of driving skills out here....

The only internationally recognized IDP's are from the AAA or an affiliate of AAA.

I found some Japanese companies that rent big bikes (e.g. http://japanbikerentals.com/license_requirements.html) which state:

"If your license was issued in one of the following countries, you will need an official International Driving Permit from the same country, in addition to your original motorcycle license. (These countries have all signed and ratified the 1949 "Geneva Convention on Road Traffic" and are therefore legally recognized in Japan)" and it goes on to state Thailand as one of those countries.

I'm sure that it is possible to get the IDP here - perhaps there are some Thai authorities that are affiliates with AAA...?

The international conventions designate that any country having undersigned and ratified those conventions will recognise the Driving permit of any other signatory.

If the national license is not in a language recognisable in the country where it is to be used, the national license should be accompanied by an International Driving Permit, issued by the country where the national license is issued.

In short, you can use your Thai driving license plus the IDP in any country that signed and ratified the convention.

The time you can use is either the duration of your visa or a maximum of 45 days.

So if you have a Thai driving license plus IDP, you can use that nearly anywhere in the world.

And for a British subject that is also possible in Britain, if you are registered to be living in Thailand.......

"Yes you can get an international driving permit based on your Thai license, need the following:

A full 5 year Thai DL

Copy of your PP

2 X PP photos

THB 500 odd

"

Yes. This is correct.

Would be hilarious if I could actually use my Thai bike license to ride a motorbike in the UK with the Thai-issued international license/permit....probably not, considering they probably ought to know the standard of driving skills out here....

It does seem odd, but you can indeed do this legally. IDP's and licenses work completely independently to nationality. IE if you are a resident expat in Thailand and wish to "visit" your "home" country, then you can indeed use your license from Thailand. Often an IDP is required, but not always.

Edited by NomadJoe

The international conventions designate that any country having undersigned and ratified those conventions will recognise the Driving permit of any other signatory.

If the national license is not in a language recognisable in the country where it is to be used, the national license should be accompanied by an International Driving Permit, issued by the country where the national license is issued.

In short, you can use your Thai driving license plus the IDP in any country that signed and ratified the convention.

The time you can use is either the duration of your visa or a maximum of 45 days.

So if you have a Thai driving license plus IDP, you can use that nearly anywhere in the world.

And for a British subject that is also possible in Britain, if you are registered to be living in Thailand.......

Good, but the conventions do allow contracting states the option to require the IDP or allow the foreign licenses by themselves. Also, the maximum time you can use it varies by country. Most I have seen simply state you must be a "visitor" or "tourist" to use your home license and or IDP. Once you become a "resident" then you need a license of that country or state.

I don't think that is correct.

totster smile.png

You're right totster, it's not. KRS1 is confusing IDP's issued by the licensees "home" country. In Thailand, the Department of Land Transport does not use auto clubs like most western countries. (In the UN Convention using an auto club is only an option) The DLT issues IDP's directly, but as gamani correctly stated, it's only in at the main LTD branch in Bangkok.

You will need to check with the country you are visiting to see if they will honor it. Some countries you don't need an IDP at all, only the license of from your country of residence.

Edited by NomadJoe

A full 5 year Thai DL

Copy of your PP

2 X PP photos

THB 500 odd

"

I would think that if you can safely navigate through Thailand on a motorbike, you are skilled enough to ride a motorbike anywhere else in the world.

A full 5 year Thai DL

Copy of your PP

2 X PP photos

THB 500 odd

"

Check the insurance is valid too.

My wife, then my girlfriend, got an IDP from the Bangkok Transport Office when she visited me in the UK. I got her insured on my car stating that she had a Thai driving licence and IDP. No problems. After becoming a UK resident she gained her UK driving licence. To the best of my knowledge most countries accept an IDP when supported with an original driving licence. The permit states that it is valid in the territory of all contracting states except in the state that issues the IDP. A quick google should reveal if the country you are visiting is a signatory to this agreement. Thailand obviously is as it issues such permits.

Holders of any licence that does not show the current address must also produce proof of current address in the form of a Current Credit Finance Agreement, Current Utilities Bill, or Current Bank Statement. All renters with a UK home address will need to pass an Equifax eIDVerifier as verification of residence at their given address. Any customer failing the check will not be allowed to rent. If there is an unsatisfactory search result you will need to provide paper-based proof of identity such as a valid bank/ building society/credit card statement, utility bill (not a council tax bill), land line telephone bill (not a mobile phone bill) or a TV license that is less than 3 months old when you pick up the vehicle from the Rental Station. UK Nationals residing overseas are advised to use a driving license of the country in which they reside or they will be subject to the above. Equifax eIDVerifierf: Equifax’s eIDVerifier enables Europcar UK Group to combat identity fraud by using independent data sources to establish a degree of confidence in a personâl

My bold type.

From National car hire terms and conditions UK. Also what the Plod told me,

Don't know how to paste a link but go to TV /General/ Do You keep a milbox in the UK./ You can read my personel problems in the UK last January regarding UK licence.

Holders of any licence that does not show the current address must also produce proof of current address in the form of a Current Credit Finance Agreement, Current Utilities Bill, or Current Bank Statement. All renters with a UK home address will need to pass an Equifax eIDVerifier as verification of residence at their given address. Any customer failing the check will not be allowed to rent. If there is an unsatisfactory search result you will need to provide paper-based proof of identity such as a valid bank/ building society/credit card statement, utility bill (not a council tax bill), land line telephone bill (not a mobile phone bill) or a TV license that is less than 3 months old when you pick up the vehicle from the Rental Station. UK Nationals residing overseas are advised to use a driving license of the country in which they reside or they will be subject to the above. Equifax eIDVerifierf: Equifax’s eIDVerifier enables Europcar UK Group to combat identity fraud by using independent data sources to establish a degree of confidence in a personâl

My bold type.

From National car hire terms and conditions UK. Also what the Plod told me,

Don't know how to paste a link but go to TV /General/ Do You keep a milbox in the UK./ You can read my personel problems in the UK last January regarding UK licence.

I hired a car on a trip to the UK in February and used my old (very, very old paper UK licence) with an out of date UK address on it. I gave them my Thai address and a where I was staying in the UK and they were quite happy with that. I had previously enquired at the DVLA about using my UK licence not having lived in the UK for many years - this was their reply -

I can confirm that only residents of Great Britain(GB) may face a fine if their driving licence details are not updated.

If you are a visitor in Great Britain (GB) and have a full valid non GB driving licence you may drive in GB for a period of 12 months from when you last entered the country, as long as your driving licence remains full and valid.

However, the following will apply:

• driving licences issued in Northern Ireland (NI) or an European Community (EC) / European Economic Area (EEA). If you hold a valid licence gained through passing a test in a country belonging to the EC/EEA you can drive any category of vehicle shown on your driving licence as long as your licence remains full and valid the full entitlement for the vehicle you wish to drive must be shown on your licence.

• driving licences issued in Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man you may drive any small vehicle e.g. cars and/or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence.

• you can drive larger vehicle e.g. lorries and buses shown on your licence, whether British registered or registered outside of GB that you have driven into the country.

• driving licences issued in any other country you can drive any small vehicle e.g. cars and/or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence. You can only drive larger vehicles e.g. lorries and buses, shown on your licence, that have been registered outside of GB which you have driven into the country

A full 5 year Thai DL

Copy of your PP

2 X PP photos

THB 500 odd

"

Not hilarious !! definitly no riding a bike in UK on a Thai bike licence only a 5 year Thai car licence for car up to 1 year is allowed.

Not a question of skill about bikes in UK, more the experiance of training to certain motorcycle cc. levels. smile.png