TV sound problem

Sheryl

It's a Sharp, old type (i.e. not a flat screen) About 10 years old but never a problem until this week.

Starts out fine but after it's been on for about 45 minutes the sound starts to break up and be static-y. It's not a True Vision issue as happened equally with DVDs. Turning it off for a while helps i.e. it will restart with normal sound but unless it has been off for a long time, quickly revert to same problem. If off for a long time then it'll be OK for say 45 minutes. Problem has progressed i.e. when I first noticed it, was only happening after being on for several hours so easy enough to live with. Now however I can't get through a single show or DVD.

"Chang" in the provincial town has tinkered with it, replaced various things to no avail, clearly does not know what is wrong but wants to keep trying (been at for 4 days already). I've considered bringing it to another chang, but I figure at least this one knows what has already proven not to be the problem whereas a new one would start from scratch.

If anyone can suggest what might be the problem, would be appreciated.

Perhaps better to just trade for a working set. My last attempt to fix a Sharp product was about 30 years ago and have considered them use/replace ever since. Would expect most shops have units for sale at reasonable price with more people going to flat screens. In Bangkok they are stacked floor to ceiling in every shop.

I would suggest a a dry solder joint on the PCB.

I did a repair on my old TV some time ago by re-soldering some of the joints on the circuit board. Not always necessary to actually re-solder, just getting the solder to melt would be enough.

(There's a thread on here somewhere)

My problem was with the picture and by Googling found which joints were most likely to be the problem. Could try the same for your sound problem.

Never fails to amaze me that no matter how obscure or weird some one somewhere will have had the same problem - ain't Google wonderful

clap2.gif

I would suggest a a dry solder joint on the PCB.

I did a repair on my old TV some time ago by re-soldering some of the joints on the circuit board. Not always necessary to actually re-solder, just getting the solder to melt would be enough.

(There's a thread on here somewhere)

My problem was with the picture and by Googling found which joints were most likely to be the problem. Could try the same for your sound problem.

Never fails to amaze me that no matter how obscure or weird some one somewhere will have had the same problem - ain't Google wonderful

clap2.gif

Had the same problem on an old type Panasonic TV and re-soldered a couple of suspect-looking joints and all was fine.

Careful if attempting this yourself as the capacitors in the older sets stored power for a while and you can get a sometimes lethal jolt from these.

If you live in Chiang Mai and subscribe to WETV (Worst Ever Television) the problem might not be with your TV set.

For days, Worst Ever TV (WETV) has had massive problems with both Audio and Video on the following channels: 14; 31; 32; 33; 35.

If you phone them, the response is simply, "we are adjusting something."

As I said, you TV might be fine, could just be your cable provider.

I am sure your tech has checked for cold solder joints as that is a normal first inspection thing. It likely it the cause but can be very hard to find - likely the board is getting hot during usage and warping enough to break the connection but if he has spent 4 days on it suspect well hidden; or something else.

Hope you can get it trough the water. Most likely was a broken PC board run that needed a spot of solder to keep it together after getting hot. Now 4 days work at -$25 per hour = (I suspect) a real bargain here even considering the 4 days loss of service.

Well got it (roundabout route in & out of town) and she came through -- whatever she ended up doing, it worked.

I don't know what it was other than that she took it apart and tested replacement of various things before finally coming up with something that worked. My thai vocabulary doesn't extend to "solder" etc ...

700 baht total.

• Like 1