Visa/Extension of Stay/Multiple entry Questions

I understand that if I acquire a Non Immigrant O-A Multi Entry Visa for the purpose of retirement (while in my home country - the USA), after entering Thailand I can leave Thailand and upon re-entry I will be given a one year extension of stay. I also understand that I can do this only one time on each visa.

Now, assuming the above is correct, here are my questions:

Once I leave the country and re-enter and receive the one year extension of stay, can I then go to the nearest immigration office and obtain a 3800 baht multiple reentry permit?

In understanding that this multiple entry permit will expire when the one year extension of stay expires, is there a limited time frame window that I must meet to obtain the multiple entry permit?

If I do not leave Thailand, and instead apply for a one year extension of stay, do I have a limited timeframe in which to apply for the multiple entry permit?

In discussing the Non Immigrant O-A Multi Entry Visa I understand that I must leave and re-enter prior to one year in order to take advantage of the one time good deal of a one year extension of stay. Is this date based on the expiration date that was stamped in my passport when I initially entered the country or is it based on the date of issue of the initial visa?

Thank you for your insight and help.

Edited by SpokaneAl

You can leave and return as many times as you want and get 12 months each time you enter as long as your Visa is still valid.

That will be 12 months from date of issue.

Once the Visa has expired you will need a Re Entry Permit if you wish to leave the country.

3,800 Baht from your local Immigration office for a Multi Entry.

An O/A visa is valid for one year dating from the point of issue.

On arrival in Thailand you will be given a one year "permission to stay".

During this year you may enter/exit the country (whilst the visa is valid) as many times as you wish.

Each entry will give a one year "permission to stay".

Exiting the country immediately prior to the visa expiring and returning whilstst the visa is still valid will effectively provide a 2nd year stay.

During this second year it is necessary to secure a re entry permit if you wish to leave/return.

Toward the end of the second year application can be made for an extension of stay based on retirement.

NB

Any stay of 90+ days requires a report to be made at immigration.

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 1

Not sure if I got you right.

The facts are:

you will have a Non O-A Multiple Entry visa, issued on date "X", valid for one year until date "Y" (X+1 year).

X = "ISSUED", Y="ENTER BEFORE".

From X up to Y you can leave Thailand as often as you want (not only one time) and on the return you will get

a new "ADMITTED UNTIL" stamp for one year from the actual date of entry (if you enter before Y !).

So if you return just before Y, you will get an ADMITTED UNTIL stamp for another year (2 years from X in the ideal case).

If you want to leave Thailand after Y, you should get a Re-Entry Permit (single or multi).

With the reentry you will get an ADMITTED UNTIL with the same date as the last one using the visa.

Before this ADMTTED UNTIL expires, you have to apply for an extension of stay at the local immigration office.

If you leave after "Y" without reentry permit, you loose your permit status and will have to start over from scratch.

Edited by KhunBENQ

An O/A visa is valid for one year dating from the point of issue.

On arrival in Thailand you will be given a one year "permission to stay".

During this year you may enter/exit the country (whilst the visa is valid) as many times as you wish.

Each entry will give a one year "permission to stay".

Exiting the country immediately prior to the visa expiring and returning whilstst the visa is still valid will effectively provide a 2nd year stay.

During this second year it is necessary to secure a re entry permit if you wish to leave/return.

Toward the end of the second year application can be made for an extension of stay based on retirement.

NB

Any stay of 90+ days requires a report to be made at immigration.

Posters need to be specific as to whether they are on a visa or Non-Imm O-A Extension.

Makes a big difference.

I have learned this from multiple contributors to to TV (Lop3, Mario, etc and many thanks) and my personal attendances at Immigration.

The 90 day report is a trip but painless. Better then making visa runs.

If you are granted an O-A Retirement extension you can get a multi-entry permit for Thb3,800 at the same Immigration office. Otherwise a single re-entry is available at Suvarnabhumi at Immigration after check-in

Edited by Bpuumike

Visas are not extended. Permits to stay are extended based upon a reason.

There is no non-oa extension it is an extension of stay based upon retirement.

I never get it right after a couple of lunchtime beers and apologies for leaving you 'out of the loop'.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

A retired friend of mine just came back from Naan with a 12 retirement extension and a multiple exit permit.

He thinks he was told that he has 24hrs after re-entry to report in to Naan if he goes away.

He's pretty worried about it, since he normally flies into BKK and speds a week there before coming back up here.

A retired friend of mine just came back from Naan with a 12 retirement extension and a multiple exit permit.

He thinks he was told that he has 24hrs after re-entry to report in to Naan if he goes away.

He's pretty worried about it, since he normally flies into BKK and speds a week there before coming back up here.

It is not 24 hours after entry it is due 24 hours after moving from one location to another.

The 24 hour report is not normally enforced.

It is not 24 hours after entry it is due 24 hours after moving from one location to another.

The 24 hour report is not normally enforced.

Hi,

'after moving from one location to another' - what after moving house?

He still thinks he's got to rush back to Naan when he comes back from Canada.

Are you saying that's not true?

That is not true according to immigration act. It is a change of address notification.

If he was to put address in Bangkok on arrival card which would be first address here then going to Naan would be his 2nd requiring a TM28 submittal.

Read title of TM28 form. Download: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

That is not true according to immigration act. It is a change of address notification.

If he was to put address in Bangkok on arrival card which would be first address here then going to Naan would be his 2nd requiring a TM28 submittal.

Read title of TM28 form. Download: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

Agreed!

But who in reality does this ? Not me for sure.

When I enter the country I always put my home address even if I am not returning directly home.

I have never filled a TM28 and know of no one who has in the situation described.

Do immigration seriously want me to inform them every time I go to BKK for a few days ?

I have a house in Kalasin but my wife has had a small apartment in BKK for almost 20 years.

I use this as my mailing and official address and makes life easier for all paperwork, including visa extensions, etc at CW and also driving licence renewals.

I spend a week - 10 days there when I come back from work and a few days before I leave again so sort of 50/50.

The manageress of the apartment block has a BIB partner so they are well aware of my presence and no questions ever asked.

Edited by Bpuumike
  • Like 1

I have a house in Kalasin but my wife has had a small apartment in BKK for almost 20 years.

I use this as my mailing and official address and makes life easier for all paperwork, including visa extensions, etc at CW and also driving licence renewals.

I spend a week - 10 days there when I come back from work and a few days before I leave again so sort of 50/50.

The manageress of the apartment block has a BIB partner so they are well aware of my presence and no questions ever asked.

This seems to be a new thing, but I don't know.

No-one up here has ever been told that before.

He is certain that he was told that if he uses his multiple entry retirement visa to leave TL and comes back, he has to report to Naan within 24 hrs of arrival in TL.

How do you do that when the office is closed on the weekend anyway?

I really don't believe there is a requirement to report to anyone for 90 days once you have passed through Immigration.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge can confirm or not.

Edited by Bpuumike

This seems to be a new thing, but I don't know.

No-one up here has ever been told that before.

He is certain that he was told that if he uses his multiple entry retirement visa to leave TL and comes back, he has to report to Naan within 24 hrs of arrival in TL.

How do you do that when the office is closed on the weekend anyway?

Maybe an element of "misunderstanding" but I do not believe he needs to worry about this or comply !

I have used re-entry permits many times and have never reported to immigration !

Incidentally your friend does not have a "multiple entry retirement visa" he has an extension of stay + a multiple re- entry permit.