The joys of Islam

catmac

As has been discussed only a month ago ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663765-interesting-article-on-pakistans-gay-scene/#entry6768725 ) some gay Pakistanis don't see their their "problem" in the same "depressing" way that we do in the West.

I haven't been to the region for a couple of decades but I keep in touch with more friends in Baluchistan than I do in the UK - its just a question of accepting that different people do things in different ways, have different expectations, and different aspirations.

Edited by LeCharivari

Gay harrassment and descrimination is not just limited to the Muslim world...it thrives in many places in Africa and in Russia as well where laws support prison and even death -

I'm not going to go into the Russian debate as its covered extensively elsewhere and is off topic, but this is incorrect so suffice to say its laws as far as homosexuality is concerned do NOT "support prison and even death" and homosexuality is NOT illegal in Russia.

To be fair to Islam, although the laws exist in many Muslim countries they are seldom enforced and when they are its usually for other reasons, and actual persecution, harassment and discrimination is in fact considerably worse in many supposedly "Christian" countries than it is in Muslim ones - and in countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh (and previously in India) its a relic of colonialism rather than anything to do with their own culture or religions.