Plodprasop: Bangkok will not be flooded this year

webfact

BANGKOK, 27 September 20113 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi has confirmed that dams and reservoirs in the North can still hold much more water and the government has prepared tools and budget to provide immediate assistance for the flood-affected.

During a House meeting on Thursday, Mr Plodprasop answered the Opposition’s queries about the flood situation and the government’s plans to tackle the floods. The deputy premier said the current water levels of dams and reservoirs in the northern region were far from critical levels but the government was more concerned over flood risks in lower areas. He revealed that the government was trying to drain water retention fields and push water in rivers out to sea as much as possible.

The 2011 flood crisis would not happen again, especially in Bangkok, the deputy PM confirmed.

Meanwhile, Deputy Minister of Interior Pracha Prasopdee said the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation and the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives were collaborating to survey and gather information on flood-damaged farmland in each province in order to promptly compensate the farmers after the floods dried out.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-27 footer_n.gif

Bangkok bracing for flood as more rains approaching

BANGKOK, 27 September 2013 (NNT) – As more rains are in the forecast, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has made known that it is considering diverting a portion of floodwater into inner Bangkok if the water level in the Chao Phraya River remains high.

Deputy Permanent Secretary for the BMA Sanya Cheenimitr assured the public that water in the Chao Phraya River was flowing past Bangkok at the rate of 2,300 cubic meters per second which is not worrying while only 20 millimeters of rainfall was recorded.

He admitted however that if the water level in the Chao Phraya stays high, some of the floodwater might need to be allowed to enter the inner parts of the capital. Residents in 27 communities not being protected by river embankments have earlier been warned to be on alert for flooding in case the river overflows.

The Meteorological Department has reported that a monsoon trough will cover the Central Plains and the East during the next two days, causing wet conditions in many parts of the regions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-27 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Capital, Central region 'safe from flooding'
PONGPHON SARNSAMAK
THE NATION

30215761-01_big.jpg

THAILAND: -- Bangkok and other provinces in the Chao Phraya River basin are likely to be safe from flooding this year, as there are no risk factors that indicate a danger of massive flooding in the region, according to the Royal Irrigation Department.

"We found that the accumulated amount of run-off from agricultural land is much smaller than the accumulated amount in 2011, when the capital and other provinces in the central region were severely affected by massive floods," RID deputy director-general Suthep Noipairoj said yesterday.

He said this year's accumulated volume of run-off water was measured at about 300 million cubic metres, while the accumulated volume in 2011 was measured at 20 billion cubic metres.

There were also no risk factors to suggest that massive flooding would occur in the Central region and Bangkok this year. Dams such as Bhumibol, Sirikit and Khwae Noi in the North had not needed to discharge massive amounts of water this year, as they had in 2011. There were also plenty of water-retention areas that could hold run-off water and prevent flooding in the capital and other major cities, Suthep added.

However, the department is keeping a close eye on the emerging tropical depression from Vietnam, which could affect several provinces in the Northeast and eastern region - in particular, Ubon Ratchatani, Si Sa Ket, Surin and Prachin Buri - as these provinces had already been affected by severe flooding.

Suthep said he was particularly concerned about the situation in Prachin Buri as the amount of water in the Pasak Chonlasit Dam was nearly at its limit and would need to be discharged before the arrival of the tropical depression.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-27

The 2011 flood crisis would not happen again, especially in Bangkok, the deputy PM confirmed.

The term 'will not happen' is an absolute so you cannot say 'especially in Bangkok'.

Plus it's an awfully big place to issue sweeping statements about.

• Like 1

The term 'will not happen' is an absolute so you cannot say 'especially in Bangkok'.

Plus it's an awfully big place to issue sweeping statements about.

True enough. I can't see this being down to journalistic error which means a serious logical error by a dep. PM. 1+1 does indeed equal 2 in any language and or culture.

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

30215761-01_big.jpg

THAILAND: -- Bangkok and other provinces in the Chao Phraya River basin are likely to be safe from flooding this year, as there are no risk factors that indicate a danger of massive flooding in the region, according to the Royal Irrigation Department.

"We found that the accumulated amount of run-off from agricultural land is much smaller than the accumulated amount in 2011, when the capital and other provinces in the central region were severely affected by massive floods," RID deputy director-general Suthep Noipairoj said yesterday.

He said this year's accumulated volume of run-off water was measured at about 300 million cubic metres, while the accumulated volume in 2011 was measured at 20 billion cubic metres.

There were also no risk factors to suggest that massive flooding would occur in the Central region and Bangkok this year. Dams such as Bhumibol, Sirikit and Khwae Noi in the North had not needed to discharge massive amounts of water this year, as they had in 2011. There were also plenty of water-retention areas that could hold run-off water and prevent flooding in the capital and other major cities, Suthep added.

However, the department is keeping a close eye on the emerging tropical depression from Vietnam, which could affect several provinces in the Northeast and eastern region - in particular, Ubon Ratchatani, Si Sa Ket, Surin and Prachin Buri - as these provinces had already been affected by severe flooding.

Suthep said he was particularly concerned about the situation in Prachin Buri as the amount of water in the Pasak Chonlasit Dam was nearly at its limit and would need to be discharged before the arrival of the tropical depression.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-09-27

nows their chance to put some more,more,more money into them dam wall-ts

Did a survey of my partner re Mr Plod. Answer: "Says what he thinks, doesn't give a dam (555...) for his critics. I like him."

Vox populi.

Take to the hills. Keep running. Don't look back.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Constable Plod and the Thaksin cronies have done little to mitigate the flood risk since 2011.

Where has the flood prevention money gone? The money seems to have drained much quicker than the flood waters.

Where are the major infrastructure works to contain floods?

The whole response to floods is always reactionary and never aimed at a long term solution. This government and all of the preceding governments did too little.

Long term to politicians means the day before the next election.

Edited by Netizen
  • Like 1

Chase the supplier, the bidding process, delivery, etc of the pictured containment boxes being used for flood control. At least they have made a change from the sacks of sand seen in past years. I would question the perment flood fix that monies were spent on. This attempt at flood control looks to have a shelf life of, the first good soaking.

Another Thai shortcut to NOT solving the problem.

• Like 1

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

30215761-01_big.jpg

They should make it into a comedy series...they could call it "The Big Bag Theory."

I believe there are 13 districts that are under threat. Perhaps the business district of BKK won't be flooded, but that doesn't mean some of the other areas won't. At least with room in the dams, it means we won't have nearly as much water and we won't have for as long.

Along the Chao Phraya yesterday around noon, going upstream from Sathorn, some of the places seem to have less than six inches of freeboard. Adjacent to these areas, the walls might be higher, but I don't think the water will care too much about neighbors if it finds a low spot anywhere.

This man is a certifiable idiot . Owing to the topography and also to the purile efforts of the flood mitigation group, whether Bangkok gets flooded is not in their hands to determine.

Flooding in Bangkok will be as a result of heavy rainfall causing a rise of the Chao Phraya river levels. Should this occur during the high tide expected in October then all these idiots will be able to do is sit around and decied which region they are deliberately gong to flood in order to protect central Bangkok.

The truth is that little has ben done since the serious flooding of 2011 and what has been done is well short of effective and also the massive amounts of money that were allocated have been squandered or misappropriated.

• Like 2

Bangkok bracing for flood as more rains approaching

H'mm Someone doesn't believe him. There again who would?

Aw shuks Mosha, you know the media ... always trying to make "the Plod" look bad whistling.gif

Edited by Dap

He revealed that the government was trying to ....push water in rivers out to sea as much as possible.

Plod just reminded to me get my high tail boat down there and tether it to a bridge, so I can rev my motor and push a bunch of that water out to sea. I didn't think my boat motor could push water in a river for 5 miles, but he's a gov't minister, so he must know better than me. I'm sure Plod will pay my expenses - for my valuable service.

Next year, I hope to have enough money saved to lease a petrol station alongside the river, cause there are going to be a lot of boats wanting to buy the stuff - to push river water out to sea.

reason for edit: quote function continues to frustrate.

Edited by boomerangutang