Airport Rail Link users increase to 1.4 million per month

webfact

Airport Rail Link users increase to 1.4 million per month

Bangkok, 27th September 2013 (NNT) - The Airport Rail Link has revealed that the number of airport link users has increased to 1.4 million per month.

According to SRT Electric Train Company Limited CEO Peerakan Kaeowongwattana, Airport Link plans to draw up new rail schedules and add more trips to cater to higher demand, especially for the City Line rail.

The number of passengers in August 2013 rose to 1.4 from 1.2 million per month, said the CEO, adding that the company has hired Kasetsart University to conduct a survey on its. customer satisfaction.

As for the new schedule, the Airport Rail Link will be using the Payathai Express Line train as an extra City Line train. Therefore, the Payathai Express Line's services will be cancelled on weekdays from 6 am. to 10 am., but will available on weekends and public holidays from 6 am.to midnight.

The move will add 5 additional services to City Line during the morning rush hours,between 6 am and 9 am, to accommodate the number of City line passengers, which has risen by up to 8,000 a day.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-27 footer_n.gif

According to the passenger usage figure quoted of 1,400,000 people per month it would seem as if based upon a hourly rate over a period of 24 hours some 3,800 passengers or thereabouts are using this service each hour.

I am not sure of the operating frequency of rail trips per hour and as such I find the figures somewhat suspect.one needs to consider the passenger carrying capacity of the rolling stock , and yes according to the figures reached I feel that whoever may have worked out the usage statistics probably did not major in Math

One is inclined to ask just how many of those trips are for the full length of the journey and how many are short inter station trips.

Yet again I am under the impression that the decimal point has in reality slipped to the left and a zero has been added in error thus the figure in the real world we live in is probably more like 140,000 passengers per day.

Isn't the quote, "Lies, dammed lies and statistics."whistling.gif

• Like 2

Express has never been a word I associate with LOS,Amazing ,annoying ,amusing ,agreeable,stimulating but never Express.

I bet my mother-in-law that a German,Chinese or Finnish company could run it at a profit with better service and for instance a water prroof travellator to theMRT at Makkasan,Check in for all airlines and yes a few taxis right where the lifts open like in Singhapoor

Edited by RubbaJohnny

I agree that the Airport Link is far from international standard - even though it is only a few years old - the station and trains look and feel like they are decades old. The lack of down escalators at Phyathai is absurd. However, it is better than nothing and a much safer (knock on Thai teak) than taxis especially during heavy traffic times.

The express trains are useless - what little time is saved is negated by having to wait twice as long for the express vs local, unless you hit the station at the exact right time. And the Makkasan terminal is a huge white elephant (in the Western sense).

It is good to see more and more of Bangkok linked by Mass Transportation, but I hope the other projects are better designed.

• Like 1

According to the passenger usage figure quoted of 1,400,000 people per month it would seem as if based upon a hourly rate over a period of 24 hours some 3,800 passengers or thereabouts are using this service each hour.

I am not sure of the operating frequency of rail trips per hour and as such I find the figures somewhat suspect.one needs to consider the passenger carrying capacity of the rolling stock , and yes according to the figures reached I feel that whoever may have worked out the usage statistics probably did not major in Math

One is inclined to ask just how many of those trips are for the full length of the journey and how many are short inter station trips.

Yet again I am under the impression that the decimal point has in reality slipped to the left and a zero has been added in error thus the figure in the real world we live in is probably more like 140,000 passengers per day.

So you estimate 140,000 a day - so about 4,200,000 a month? You are saying their numbers are low?

Have you not considered the fact that they have electronic ticked gates and so can count very accurately how many passengers they have? There's no need to do an estimate, they have actual numbers.

Looks right to me - I use the airport link in the mornings and evenings and it's packed. At many stations passengers can't get on and have to wait a considerable amount of time for the next one.

I know a few people who tailor their working hours in such a way to avoid getting crushed on it.

Isn't the quote, "Lies, dammed lies and statistics."whistling.gif alt=whistling.gif>

So you estimate 140,000 a day - so about 4,200,000 a month? You are saying their numbers are low?

Have you not considered the fact that they have electronic ticked gates and so can count very accurately how many passengers they have? There's no need to do an estimate, they have actual numbers.

Looks right to me - I use the airport link in the mornings and evenings and it's packed. At many stations passengers can't get on and have to wait a considerable amount of time for the next one.

I know a few people who tailor their working hours in such a way to avoid getting crushed on it.

The numbers are right (1.4 million for the month), directly counted by the electronic fare gates.

That figure translates (roughly) into 50,000 per weekday and 39,000 per weekend day... or 47,000 daily.

Anything that stops the taxi bandits at

the airport cheating more dosh is okay with me.

So why dont you go up to Level 4 (Departures) like most people do and choose your taxi driver ?

Uhh, because they block the escalators? (Or have they finally stopped doing that? The elevators were getting awfully crowded...)

I dont see what half of you are complaining about. This is good news because it will encourage more expansion. Yes the connection to the MRT at Maak. is a pain but whats stopping you from getting a short taxi from the closest airport link station? The airport link is the fastest way to go from the airport to the center of the city and also very cheap compared to the taxi alternative.

I just hope it connects to Don Muang sometime within the next 5 years, but im probably dreaming.

Edited by bangarang

So why dont you go up to Level 4 (Departures) like most people do and choose your taxi driver ?

Uhh, because they block the escalators? (Or have they finally stopped doing that? The elevators were getting awfully crowded...)

Lol... so your saying that if a tourist went too far down they couldnt go back up? lol...

Edited by bangarang

It appears that you also aren't a math or statistics major.

"24 hours some 3,800 passengers or thereabouts are using this service each hour." That is about 2.7 million by your calcs.

BTW the trains only run from 06:00 to 24:00.

Edited by aguy30

Oh get a grip and stand in line at the public taxi desk outside the airport <deleted>. You new here?

Couldn't agree more. How do they cheat? If they request a set fare, politely ask them to turn the meter on. BKK taxis would have to be close to the cheapest in the world. Mostly newer ones at the airport also

• Like 1

Lol... so your saying that if a tourist went too far down they couldnt go back up? lol...

Lol(??)... Very astute. That's exactly what I'm saying. Have experienced it several times. Security guys with those portable fences allowing "airport pass holders" only. I emailed the airport authority about it once, and got a reply basically saying it was necessary to separate arriving & departing passengers.

(Lol)

One gets the impression this railway was designed by someone who doesn't know anything about railways. The stations are ridiculously huge, no thought was given to linking with other railways (eg makkasan). The trains are overcrowded in the rush hours (wait 15 mins for yhe next train at peak times). i would have thought srt would know something about railways !

• Like 1

Admittedly, not user friendly. Once I got the hang of it (I travel often), it became very convenient. I am not the one to carry around lots of luggage, so if you do, its not for you. For a few dollars, I get to ignore all the taxi's...which in itself...makes me very happy. Normally, I fly in, grab an espresso, ride the escalators down to the train, purchase a ticket, and am on my way to my hotel in a ten or fifteen minutes after departing immigration. I always get a comfy seat. With a few quick changes, I can be anywhere within half an hour...and very safely. Recently, I have avoided Bangkok (big cities are not my forte) like a plague. The free shuttle bus gets me to Don Mueang, but its a long wait...and a long ride.

If they ever got a direct express line (subway) between the two airports, that would be the cat's meow.

I will do almost anything to avoid riding in taxis....I am on a sort of boycotting them. Would almost walk if I knew it pissed them off.

• Like 1

So does this mean that the express will go back to every 30 minutes? It is useless now at once per hour.

I have used it and the city line numerous times to and from the airport. I've also stood in a queue during peak our and watched two completely full city line trains stop and go. 20 minute intervals for the City Line is ridiculous.

While the taxis in BKK are certainly cheap, they are also dangerous. The train guarantees (at least it should) a safe arrival at your destination whereas the hopped-up or nearly asleep taxi driver does not.

It's not about the money, it's about safety.

PS. Does anyone know if the restaurant that is advertised in Makassan station is actually open for business? That whole station is like a ghost town.

Taxi to and from the airport is still my option. Cheap, quick and relatively hassle free.

Occasionally get the odd driver trying it on but just be firm with them and don't listen. A stern sentence does the trick and will usually followed by much sucking of teeth. It's about the worst behaviour I have encountered recently from drivers at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang. Big changes from 10+ years ago when touts were everywhere and I was threatened by a driver on yaba at Don Muang after taking him from the booth and subsequently refusing to pay his demands for 1000thb to mid Sukhumvit.

Hang on to the paper the person at the booth gives you. Unscrupulous drivers have often tried to take it off me so they can try on their shenanigans and go unreported. If you get a problem no matter how minor fill in the paper and submit it.

It's all about knowing how to deal with them, if you don't, then taxis are a right pain in the ar*e.

So does this mean that the express will go back to every 30 minutes? It is useless now at once per hour.

I have used it and the city line numerous times to and from the airport. I've also stood in a queue during peak our and watched two completely full city line trains stop and go. 20 minute intervals for the City Line is ridiculous.

While the taxis in BKK are certainly cheap, they are also dangerous. The train guarantees (at least it should) a safe arrival at your destination whereas the hopped-up or nearly asleep taxi driver does not.

PS. Does anyone know if the restaurant that is advertised in Makassan station is actually open for business? That whole station is like a ghost town.

A stern word telling them to slow down and drive safer usually does the trick.

If they don't listen pull over and get another taxi.

Bangkok's expressways are so choked with traffic nowadays I'd be surprised if the taxi could even hit 70kph these days.

Unfortunately you will always get the odd nutter driving a cab with the lack of regulation and inherent corruption in Thai society.

aguy30 post # 19

It appears that you also aren't a math or statistics major.

"24 hours some 3,800 passengers or thereabouts are using this service each hour." That is about 2.7 million by your calcs.

BTW the trains only run from 06:00 to 24:00.

Agreed I am not a Math major nor ever likely to be either. cheesy.gif

The figures entered into the phone calculator were plainly adrift due to my digits being out of control as was my thought process too it would seem thus as a result so was the answersad.png .

Electronic gates count the figures, fine.

However as said how many of the trips were full journey trips made on the express service as opposed to the nearly all stations stops service slow train or as short station to station hops?

Certainly I knew people who used the service as a commuter service and rightly so to.

Please accept my abject groveling on my knee's and my forelock touching as my apology for my misquoted statistics in the matter.wai.gifwai2.gifsmile.png

Lies, lies, dammed lies, statistics.

Edited by siampolee

"its about safety"

Are you aware who operates this railway. It's the same lot who operate the national network. The operations and maintenance standards are no different between the two systems and we are all well aware of how the national network performs.

They have been lucky with the airport train because its relatively new but sooner or later even a new system will become unreliable and unsafe if low (or no) standards of maintenance are applied. Take a peek inside their workshops and you will see a number of brand new trains up on blocks stripped of spare parts to keep the remaining fleet operating. Lord knows what's going on with the other equipment maintenance like track and signalling.

I stopped using this line over a year ago over doubts about its maintenance.