Where Can I Buy Good Pies In Bangkok?

davidm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I have yet to eat anything from Yorkies that was as described, try a 'sausage roll' they truely are something to behold, not at all like the real thing.

Is there a trades description act here? if so then Yorkies should be condemned as quickly as possible, imagine if the septics got there hands on this stuff and said it was brit cusine... they would be 100% right about it being <deleted>.

We have a Yank called Don here in Phuket that does really good stuff, English Pies, sausages, ham.. not bascon though it is that crap streaky rubbish, but generally great stuff but sadly for you only here.

Sorry o

Basher

The Emporium has decent homemade pies on the top floor near the Oriental shop. Beef stew, turkey with apple and chestnut, chicken and mushroom, and more. Forget the name of the shop though, sorry. If you stand and the Oriental counter and look behind you then you should clock it.

Failing that then the Offshore on Sukhumvit 23 does pies. Not bad when you're pissed.

Yeah, and Villa opposite the Emporium does frozen mini pies from Oz. Tasty.

The only edible thing from Yorkies are the pork pies. Can be a bit salty at times though.

Apart from Simple Simon's, Pat's Pies are quite good in Pattaya - I get mine on Third Road, near junction with Pattaya Tai (Wat Chai), but I think their main outlet is on Soi 6 (Yodsak). Freeze them and microwave as needed.

Thanks a lot Basher for your very kind offer. No need to go to so much trouble, though. Yorkies' sausages are ok, Basher. The least said about his pies the better. The pies in the Emporium are made by homework and they are truly awful. The things they put in a steak & kidney pie are beyond the pale. Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks. Aussie John's pies in Sukhumvit Soi 1 are ok, but nothing special. The pies at the Offshore Bar are quite nice, but they microwave them. The Cathouse in NEP sells Sheila's pies from Phuket. Tasty, but nothing to go with them. An Aussie friend pointed out that the 4 & 20 pies sold in Villa cost 500% more than in Australia. They're expensive and not very big.

There's a pie maker in Hua Hin who turns out some quality stuff. Some of the bars and restaurants in Kanchanaburi sell them.

Looks like I'll have to do a special trip to Pattaya and try to find Pats as Simple Simon once sold me a putrid pie.

Pies and other Australian fayre can be found at Food Glorious Food (orange coloured building) on Sukhumvit Soi 71 - on the left on the corner just before Soi 37 if you are heading away from Sukhumvit. Good stock of cheeses and meat as well and about the same price if not cheaper than Villa. It's an offshoot of a company thats been here for 20+ years and supplies food imported from Oz to the major hotels, restaurants etc.

Cheers

Many thanks pidster. I've passed the place many times at high speed, but it always looks closed. I miss Sally's Choice behind Villa. Thanks Bonita. I've tried the quiches at Oriental's shop at the emporium and they're good. Mackerel, smoked salmon and potato quiche. A nice wedge fopr about 85 baht. Loverly. :o

I don't understand the problem with pies locally as there is plenty of excellent preparation and availablity...

however don't expect leek and mushroom or beef with peas and carrots as that may be beyond the scope of a facinating young woman and her culinary abilities...

but she sure can make your banana cream...

(tutsi...you are a scream...)

with apologies to Soupy Sales...

"i d forgotten about the offshore. why do the mushy peas sometimes taste of washing up liquid???"

:D

Maybe its because Ray (the boss)is from Preston and oop there they wash the dried peas in Fairy Liquid to soften them oop. :o

Honest Ray only jocking.(joking)..luv the mushys (tell a lie) and promise to ling na bell in the bar on Sat/Sunday night :D

Pies and other Australian fayre can be found at Food Glorious Food (orange coloured building) on Sukhumvit Soi 71 - on the left on the corner just before Soi 37 if you are heading away from Sukhumvit. Good stock of cheeses and meat as well and about the same price if not cheaper than Villa. It's an offshoot of a company thats been here for 20+ years and supplies food imported from Oz to the major hotels, restaurants etc.

Cheers

yes Food Glorious Food, is a Aussie owned and operated busness (he is a mate of mine), they have great veg as well, but there pies and sausage rolls are yorkies (in Phuket anyway) and they arent Aussie - if you see somewhere that sells Villis pies they are also pretty good. But if you want Tim Tams, wine, good bacon as well, the FGF is a good place.

Cheers

yes Food Glorious Food, is a Aussie owned and operated busness (he is a mate of mine), they have great veg as well, but there pies and sausage rolls are yorkies (in Phuket anyway) and they arent Aussie - if you see somewhere that sells Villis pies they are also pretty good. But if you want Tim Tams, wine, good bacon as well, the FGF is a good place.

Villi was talking about expanding into Asia. I might ask him if he exports to LOS and if not maybe we could work something out.

IMHO AAPE they are the best pies you can get and the main reason I cant wear Warwick Capper shorts any more.

Villi ... IMHO AAPE they are the best pies you can get and the main reason I cant wear Warwick Capper shorts any more.

Bronco thought you'd be more of a four'n twenty sort of man - goes hand in hand with a VB :D esp while watching the AFL :D

I miss the pies from my local bakery - feel home sick now :o

gentleman - Big M is better :D

I always thought that the Croc Dundee business with 'putting a prawn on the barbee for you mate' was a bunch of hype generated by the Ozzie tourist board and that neither crocodiles or prawns existed in the antipods. Now I am told that not only are there nice prawns there are delicious pies as well. Forgive me please...I was simply used to not believeing anything that I saw on US TV...sort of like body counts during the Vietnam war...

I sure wouldn't know about any pies like have been talked about here,,At home pies contained Apples,Berries,Cherries,Peaches,Fresh strawberries, Or were cream pies such as chocolate,Lemon,or as TUTS said Banana cream,,

But never with steak and offal[innards] in them,###### must be terrible to have to eat such things,,glad I was raised by a very nice German grandmother in the USA.

:o