Visa - Foreign Marriage To Post-op Transsexual

According to Thai law, a "ladyboy" cannot change her legal gender on Thai records, even after the operation.

However, in many countries, such as Sweden, and certain states in the US, a foreign post-op transsexual can get the status of a woman, and enter into a regular marriage (i.e. not a same-sex marriage).

Thailand recognizes foreign marriages involving Thai citizens for the purpose of a marriage-based visa.

The question for all our visa experts is: Would Thailand recognize a foreign marriage with a post-op Thai transsexual as the basis of a visa for the foreign spouse?

This can hardly be a new question, considering all the ladyboys who have married abroad.

THANKS in advance

As I understsnd it, the Thai authorities will not recognize the foreign marriage in this case. The Thai spouse will need to show her ID and other documents which willshow the she is, according to Thai law, still a man despite the fact that she has already had the sex change operation. I do recall this issue being discussed at length some time ago on another board. I will try to find the link for you.

I am not an expert on this, however, so I defer to my wiser friends on this forum for their opinions.

As I understsnd it, the Thai authorities will not recognize the foreign marriage in this case. The Thai spouse will need to show her ID and other documents which willshow the she is, according to Thai law, still a man despite the fact that she has already had the sex change operation. I do recall this issue being discussed at length some time ago on another board. I will try to find the link for you.

I am not an expert on this, however, so I defer to my wiser friends on this forum for their opinions.

This has never been asked here in Thaivisa before. I, like Bobcat know nothing about the question raised, but my gut feeling ins that Bobcat's assumptions are correct.