How to Spend 15000 Baht (donated) on Kids

kokesaat

never never never never hand over the cash to somebody to get a contractor or to buy goods. Do it yourself to maximize the amount finally reaching the kids.

Check this out if you like:

http://www.bangkokspoofers.com/cms/index.php/about-us/75-the-bangkok-gentlemen-spoofers

and

http://www.bangkokspoofers.com/cms/index.php/charity-projects

or rule is never hand over money, do it ourselves and pay directly onsite to contractor or service provider. nobody between us and the guy doing the job.

• Like 1

bicycles, cheap at Tesco

Top idea. Very hard to beat that. There's not much a poor kid without one wants, more than a bike.

you could get a dozen or more from Tesco with 500 dollars.

I would say that buying cheap bikes would be a waste of money, and the source of disappointment for the recipients of the bicycles. I've seen it many times where the cheapest bikes do not stay in good working order for longer than a few months.

Just yesterday I took the neighbor kid into town to have new hand brakes installed on his 2-month-old bike. His family bought it at Tesco Lotus; cheap is the best price for them. The left brake handle plastic broke weeks ago, and was totally inoperable, hanging by the cable. The right one still worked, but was tied to the handle bar with plastic wrap.

Almost 20 years ago I bought a Thai-made bike for myself for about 3,000 baht. Within months the brakes on that bike broke too, and in time the welding on the frame actually broke, and had to be re-welded. There were many other problems with that bicycle also.

A cheap bike is not a thing to waste money on. You get what you pay for, and in this case it's usually just shiny paint on some metal (which will soon turn to rust).

bicycles, cheap at Tesco

Top idea. Very hard to beat that. There's not much a poor kid without one wants, more than a bike.

you could get a dozen or more from Tesco with 500 dollars.

There might well be an added bonus up country in that the kid(s) could take him/her/theirself to school thus releasing Mamma for casual work, thus increasing the family income. My Sis in law is the custodian of the family's kids and she was unable to make the early start required in the farming community because she had to take the kids to school. Bikes sorted that one out. However, tutoring the eldest has bitten me as she has been transferred to a school for 'gifted' children 10 miles away, so I had to dip into my pocket to buy her a motor bike.

I would favor the gifts that sustain and help the kids beyond just one time would be good. Like the saying goes about giving fish, or teaching someone to fish.

While a day trip would be fun for one day, afterwards it does not do as much to continue to help them. Gifts like books to help them learn, or shoes to help them get around easier, or getting a poor school or club center a couple of cheap laptops would keep giving long after. Gifts that keep on giving in some way. These are the best in my opinion.

• Like 2

PCs4Kids in Phuket accepts donations of old computers when users buy new ones. The are repaired, upgraded, legal sofware is installed, then they are given free to Thai students who are computer enthusiasts, but can't afford a computer of their own. Right now PCs4Kids has dozens of excellent laptops that were donated by a bank when their employees got new ones. For security, the bank removed the hard drives and RAM. Your 15,000 baht could buy replacement hard drives and ram for several computers so that they can be given away. Students might have access to a computer only three hours a week at school. Having a computer of their own at home is the difference between finishing school with the ability to use Facebook and play some games, and finishing school with real computer literacy. If you are interested, contact Woody Leonard at [email protected]. (http://www.askwoody.com/about-woody/)

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10486.html

Why not buy a book each for about 25 baht...give them a box of coloured pencils and a pad. total cost about 50 baht each....present them to the kids at a school in as many classes as can get them (buy differnet books so they can share.)

It may be the first book that ws really theirs and although they have access to coloured pencils etc at school that is strictly for work....a nice change for them to have some of their own to do anything they want.

Edited by harrry