Englishman’s Throat Cut As Early Morning Run Results In A Demand For Money From Two Men.

britmaveric

Englishman’s throat cut as early morning run results in a demand for money from two men.

A disturbing case now from the Recreation area located on the Pratamnak Mountain in South Pattaya. On Tuesday Morning a 67 year old English Man, Mr Dowd, was enjoying a morning run when he was approached by two young Thai men who asked him for some money. Mr. Dowd ignored the pair and continued his run.

This apparently angered the two men who followed the victim and grabbed him from behind. One of the men placed a knife at his neck and once again demanded he hand over some money. Mr. Dowd refused to comply and a fight took place between him and the two men, during which, Mr. Dowd, sustained a cut to his neck.

Even after receiving this serious laceration, he attempted to chase the two men who ran away as soon as the assault was over. Mr. Dowd, realized he had received a serious cut and made his way to the nearby Pratamnak Police box. He was taken to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital where he is now undergoing treatment.

Luckily the knife did not pass through any vital organs and he is expected to make a full recovery. For some, it is a natural instinct to resist an attack such as the one mentioned in this report. Our advice to you is to comply with an attacker, especially if a lethal weapon is involved. This could ultimately save your life.

-Pattaya City News

Monday 24th April 2006

I say good on him.

It takes balls to:

1. jog

and

2. forcefully resist a mugging

at the age of 67!!

:o

No point having big balls if you're dead.

All the experts advise not to resist a mugger if they are armed.

If the cut had been a bit to the left, a bit to the right, or, a mm deeper, he might not be alive.

Then, I'm sure people on this board would be saying he was stupid to resist.

Edited by Sir Burr

Englishman’s throat cut as early morning run results in a demand for money from two men.

A disturbing case now from the Recreation area located on the Pratamnak Mountain in South Pattaya. On Tuesday Morning a 67 year old English Man, Mr Dowd, was enjoying a morning run when he was approached by two young Thai men who asked him for some money. Mr. Dowd ignored the pair and continued his run.

This apparently angered the two men who followed the victim and grabbed him from behind. One of the men placed a knife at his neck and once again demanded he hand over some money. Mr. Dowd refused to comply and a fight took place between him and the two men, during which, Mr. Dowd, sustained a cut to his neck.

Even after receiving this serious laceration, he attempted to chase the two men who ran away as soon as the assault was over. Mr. Dowd, realized he had received a serious cut and made his way to the nearby Pratamnak Police box. He was taken to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital where he is now undergoing treatment.

Luckily the knife did not pass through any vital organs and he is expected to make a full recovery. For some, it is a natural instinct to resist an attack such as the one mentioned in this report. Our advice to you is to comply with an attacker, especially if a lethal weapon is involved. This could ultimately save your life.

-Pattaya City News

Monday 24th April 2006

should learn to run faster!!! :o

How much money do you normally take on a run?These two Thai men can not be too bright. next time they are going to mug somebody that is swimming! :D

Did you hear about the two Thai pickpockets recently arrested in a nudest colony? :o

Not to mention the Thai cat burglar who was recently arrested trying to break into a pet shop! :D

Just watched the PCN report and a few things seems odd about this report..

1) Who goes all the way up Pratamnak Hill early in the morning on a motorbike to then do a spot of jogging?

2) Especially someone age 67

3) Who goes jogging wearing 'jesus sandals' ?

4) Even retarded street thugs can see a jogger is carrying little/no money or valuables, so why bother.

5) If they're that desperate for cash, why didn't they nick his motorbike?

My guess (for whatever its worth) is that this guy might be a nonce looking for early morning secluded outdoor 'recreation' trying to get a flute service in the trees by a young thai lad and things didn't exactly go to plan for whatever reason.

:o:D

1) Who goes all the way up Pratamnak Hill early in the morning on a motorbike to then do a spot of jogging?

Many people! Just go and look! There is an exercise area near the police box too!

I thought he had joggers on seeing how they were removed by the nurse on television broadcast

4) Even retarded street thugs can see a jogger is carrying little/no money or valuables, so why bother.

They're Thai

They're Thai

My guess (for whatever its worth) is that this guy might be a nonce looking for early morning secluded outdoor 'recreation' trying to get a flute service in the trees by a young thai lad and things didn't exactly go to plan for whatever reason.

Not nice at all Bro! You are guessing as you say!

Edited by MP5

I say good on him.

It takes balls to:

1. jog

and

at the age of 67!!

If the cut had been a bit to the left, a bit to the right, or, a mm deeper, he might not be alive.

I agree with you, best not resist unless you have the upper hand. Perhaps he didnt have any dosh on them and that pissed them off to cut his throat?

I say good on him.

It takes balls to:

1. jog

and

at the age of 67!!

:D

I agree with you, best not resist unless you have the upper hand. Perhaps he didnt have any dosh on them and that pissed them off to cut his throat?

I used to jog in Thailand. I always carried a small quantity of money with me - for emergencies - which included getting mugged. I never was.

Gave up jogging when I moved to Pattaya - too much aggro fromn the Soi dogs. No problems walking, but the moment you break into a run, the pack gets after you. :o

Many people! Just go and look! There is an exercise area near the police box too!

I thought he had joggers on seeing how they were removed by the nurse on television broadcast

They're Thai

They're Thai

I'll still stick with the guesswork. The PCN story is full of holes. Where are the 'energetic masses' who workout on the hill, surely at least one would be a handy witness? At what time exactly did all this occur, and where.. in the park or halfway down the hill? The park is built into the side of the hill and is an exercise park, not a jogging track. This park and the surrounding area has a reputation as 'dodgy' over the last five years, and the old Freeway place is a known hangout for katoeys and their creepy/crooked crew exchanging a wide range of bent services for wig and lipstick tokens. Where are the 2 attackers who fled the scene? If he had such a pally chat with them beforehand, why couldn't he give a description of at least what they were wearing, their motorbike and the direction they scarpered. The local BiB are excellent at tracking down known scallywags once they have a description as many young thugs/gangmembers/crims are known to BiB anyway.

Edited by donkeykong

They're Thai

They're Thai

I'll still stick with the guesswork. The PCN story is full of holes. Where are the 'energetic masses' who workout on the hill, surely at least one would be a handy witness? At what time exactly did all this occur, and where.. in the park or halfway down the hill? The park is built into the side of the hill and is an exercise park, not a jogging track. This park and the surrounding area has a reputation as 'dodgy' over the last five years, and the old Freeway place is a known hangout for katoeys and their creepy/crooked crew exchanging a wide range of bent services for wig and lipstick tokens. Where are the 2 attackers who fled the scene? If he had such a pally chat with them beforehand, why couldn't he give a description of at least what they were wearing, their motorbike and the direction they scarpered. The local BiB are excellent at tracking down known scallywags once they have a description as many young thugs/gangmembers/crims are known to BiB anyway.

I don't think this is guess work!

Sensible questions that could or should be answered and yes you're right on with BIB getting on to it once they have a decent ID.

Forensics might need your investigative skills

Cheers

I say good on him.

It takes balls to:

1. jog

and

at the age of 67!!

:D

I get what you're saying. It all depends on the situation I suppose.

Eg if you're surrounded by 10 armed blokes then it's shit creek time and only a fool would resist, but we dont know the full facts in this case.

I just thought it was a pretty gritty thing to do for a pensioner. I'd imagine the majority of 67 year old's wouldnt even be out jogging at that age let alone fighting off muggers.

I do my excercise routine up there usually sometime between the hours of 10 AM to 2 PM. I start at the light house near the Water Rescue Station. I usullay go up the hill all the way to the underground cross over into park at the bottom of the Buddha on the Hill. I am a long distance walker and I do it in good quality Aussie thongs as my feet sweat to much in Joggers.

I go to the Pratumnak area because I can walk quickly without being annoyed by anyone or having anyone get in my way. Rarely does anybody else use it when I go. I also go there because what kind of better view can you get in Pattaya while doing your excercise. In all the time I have done my routine up there I was only ever acousted once by 2 Thai poofs on a motorbike. I thought it was a bit strange them pulling over, one came over climbed the grassed enbankment onto the walkway and started smiling. He just stopped in front of me at which time I said in Thai "Sawasdee Krup, Tum Arai" meaning hello what are you up to. He pointed at my willy and gestured a BJ and HJ, I just shook my head with a mai ow and scarped it. Thank God they didn't follow me. They were just trying it on and weren't crims at all. I must admit I was thinking of running up to the Issan ladies tendering the gardens for protection..... real man I am :o

The area to be careful of is the excercise Park at the base of the Buddha Hill. Not so much where the excercise equipment is as that's in view of the street, it's around the base of the hill where the poofs tend to gather in the little shelter. They usually whistle or try to atract your attention, I just ignore them and keep going. It might pay to also avoid the area between the excercise park and the Big Buddha (up the stairs), I had a dog attack me there once. All in all Pratumnak Hill is pretty safe and Buddha Hill is resonably safe, just mind the dogs and poofs.

A joggers take on the situation.

Anyone who exercises usually does it early morning or late afternoon before the sun sets.

This being obviously the coolest time of the day.

Experienced joggers ect. will always ride to a place like the Pratumnak Hil or even walk there.

Having said that i,d always try to make sure others are there for the same purpose of exercising.

Then you usually commence your training at the bottom of the hill, completing your schedule / programme you,ve mapped out.

I used to travel miles to get to a good area suitable to me requirements on any given day.

This is a routine we all take no matter where we are in the world.

As for the Jesus sandals.

There is special types available to suit different disciplines, i.e. walking, climbing, jogging ect.ect.

Take a look at the older guys that exercise and compare them with the old and the young who do not.

It,s about quality of life and why many older people do it.

If i may offer a bit of advice to anyone on training run / walk who may need it.

Always carry some form of I.D. ( photo copy ) and just enough money to get a taxi home or a

cold drink after your run ( if you must )

Also if you have it, details of your health insurance should you have any.

Try to do it with at least one other friend.

Last let someone know where you are going and and when you expect to return.

As for the dogs, i stopped running in the streets long ago and now go for long, speedy walks instead.

I,m blessed also with a good dedicated training area where i live so i can jog there when i wish to do so.

I,m just about 62 and yes i know i,m stupid, but, i cannot get out of the the normal reaction of defending myself, old habits do die hard, i,m sorry to say.

Of course common sense comes into it when there are weapons but in lots of cases they,ll injure / kill you anyway.

For myself run like hel_l if you can and if you are able ducking and diving if the odds are against you with no peaceful options.

I have actually done this, perhaps i was lucky perhaps not.

Again most people will instinctively resist if the situation isn,t overwhelming.

There are times when i,ve thought *kin hel_l you stupid idiot keep your mouth shut and walk away, or turn the other cheek.

Incidently if i,m out and about and anyone tries to communicate with me i just move on ignoring them and this usually works.

Touch Wooddddddddddddddddd

I,m gradually getting into this mode more, but i,m afraid letting someone physically abuse me without trying to instinctively defending myself is not in my nature.

My humble thoughts on the situation and possible senarios, sorry if it,s boring to non active members.

Happy jogging and do not over do it, listen to your body warnings as the saying goes and rest your injuries.

There,s always tomorrow.

Please remember i,m not saying copy me full stop.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

tough old english guy!

Reminds me to the 80 year old woman who nearly killed a young guy who wanted her handbag.

she had to show how she did but no policeman wanted to play the rule of the bad guy

-Pattaya City News

Monday 24th April 2006

All very good advice and comments.

My point being; this area early in the morning can be risky. The park is a nighttime hangout/meetingplace for chancers, poofs, gangs and drug dealers, all of whom are wannabe muggers if the opportunity arises. Anyone up there for a 'too early' morning solo jog must have rocks in their head, or have other motives!.... this is Pattaya... nothing is a surprise.... some of the most normal people do the strangest things... and strange people are the norm...

Very sad for this old guy. He goes for a morning run and now he is accussed of everything from being completely stupid--for his choice of locations--to being a pervert--people know what he "really" wanted.

I hope for his sake, if he reads this that there are a few people who think it is unfortunate that you can't have an early morning run safely and that whatever happens isn't always the victims fault.

All very good advice and comments.

My point being; this area early in the morning can be risky. The park is a nighttime hangout/meetingplace for chancers, poofs, gangs and drug dealers, all of whom are wannabe muggers if the opportunity arises. Anyone up there for a 'too early' morning solo jog must have rocks in their head, or have other motives!.... this is Pattaya... nothing is a surprise.... some of the most normal people do the strangest things... and strange people are the norm...

So it would seem :o

naka.