90 Day Single Entry For Marriage From Vientiene

Hi

I went to Khon Kaen immi today to get a 60 day "visit Thai wife" extension because I'd messed up my 400k in the bank and the money wouldn't have been in the bank long enough at the end of my current yearly extension so I needed those extra 60 days. Unfortunately I'd used the 60 day option 6 years ago and was refused another as the officer told me there was only 1 60 day extension allowed per entry and I've been on back to back extensions for 14 years.

She told me to go to Vientiene and get a 90 day single entry visa and then I'd have to start the yearly extension process again in 90 days. I'm kicking myself for screwing up but what's done is done.

If you good folks could kindly provide me with a list of docs I need to take with me as I'm sweating it a bit because I haven't got a new visa for years and haven't got a clue.. Me and the wife are flying to Laos at the weekend.

Do I need to show finances like 400k in the bank for a 90 day single entry? If so would an updated bank book suffice or do I need bank letters etc (it's an Siam Commercial Account) or do I just need the docs (tabien baan, marriage cert etc) I was going to provide for the 60 day extension (which were accepted until the officer spotted I'd used the 60 day extension before)?

Also any info about the way to go about it would be great. What time to get to the consulate. When I can pick the visa up. A half decent place to stay etc.

Many thanks and sorry for the ramble and many questions. They really threw me a curve ball today after years of back to back extensions and I'm a bit wound up. :)

All I can say is the officer was being excessively stringent on the rules.

You will not need any financial proof to get a single entry non-o. Just marriage certificate, wife's ID card and house book. Copies of your passport photo page and Lao visa/entry stamp. You will need 3 photos total. One for Lao visa and 2 for Thai.

Why are you flying. It is not far to the bridge in Nong Khai.

Embassy consular section info here: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

All I can say is the officer was being excessively stringent on the rules.

You will not need any financial proof to get a single entry non-o. Just marriage certificate, wife's ID card and house book. Copies of your passport photo page and Lao visa/entry stamp. You will need 3 photos total. One for Lao visa and 2 for Thai.

Why are you flying. It is not far to the bridge in Nong Khai.

Embassy consular section info here: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

Cheers Joe. I picked up the Lao visa already as the consulate in KK is not far from the immi. I pleaded a little with the immi officer poiniting out years of mutliple back to backs but, although apologetic, she said they were the rules.

The reason I asked about the bank book was the officer advised me to take it "to show them" but couldn't elaborate what they needed. I notice on the link you gave me that for a non-o they need a Thai bank statement but don't mention the amount needed.

BTW she told me that when I go back in 90 days to extend for a year I've got to bring 2 witnesses to show that me and the wife are living together. Even though my passport is nearly full of granted visa extensions through marriage. Never mind.

BTW I'm flying because I'll be in Bangkok at the weekend.

Edited by mca

I just found out from my friend that when he did his single entry on the basis of marriage he showed a balance of 200k baht in the bank at the Vientiane consulate and that was accepted although this was a couple of year ago. Has anybody had any more recent experiences because I will be able to show 400k which was supposed to be for my marriage extension which I didn't get. The consulate website just says " a Thai bank statement " as one of the requirements with no amount mentioned.

Thanks

I just found out from my friend that when he did his single entry on the basis of marriage he showed a balance of 200k baht in the bank at the Vientiane consulate and that was accepted although this was a couple of year ago. Has anybody had any more recent experiences because I will be able to show 400k which was supposed to be for my marriage extension which I didn't get. The consulate website just says " a Thai bank statement " as one of the requirements with no amount mentioned.

Thanks

I had similar and am in Khon Kaen, had together a letter from the bank to say I had 400k in the account for more than 3 months

Thanks

I had similar and am in Khon Kaen, had together a letter from the bank to say I had 400k in the account for more than 3 months

Yours is not similar; it is completely different. mca's friend went to the Thai consulate in Vientiane to get a non-immigrant visa category "O" for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to visit his Thai wife; you went to your local immigration office to get a one-year extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife.

Thanks

Yours is not similar; it is completely different. mca's friend went to the Thai consulate in Vientiane to get a non-immigrant visa category "O" for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to visit his Thai wife; you went to your local immigration office to get a one-year extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife.

As Maestro said shaurene are you talking about an extension of stay you got from Khon Kaen immigration?

I'm going to the bank and get a statement showing 400k in the bank and I'll update the bank book as well. Hopefully I'm not going to have a problem in Vientiane after explaining my cock up with my extension in Khon Kaen and showing them a nearly full passport of back to back approved extensions. I'm being paranoid about this because as I mentioned I haven't actually had a visa for 14 years - just extensions and I'm going into this as a practical visa virgin. I suppose in a worst case scenario if I was for some reason refused I could get a 2 month tourist visa, find out exactly what they want regarding paperwork, and come back in 2 months time armed and ready. Or could I convert tourist visa to a non-O in country?

Sorry for the dumb paranoid questions. This is all new to me after all these years.

There should not be any issue getting a single entry non immigrant O visa with marriage certificate/copy and signed copies of wife ID card and home register. Even multi entry visas are available in Laos without financials. Take the bank book but you should not need it and I would not offer unless asked. Those that do just make it harder for the next applicant.

• Like 2

Cheers Lop. I hear you loud and clear. I learned that documentation lesson the hard way when I used to extend in Nong Khai using my wife's salary, presented a document that wasn't actually required and then that document became an issue with the extension even though it wasn't on their official list.

The only thing that concerns me is some good folk say they got their 90 day single with just the marriage docs etc but the consulate link that ubonjoe kindly posted says " a thai bank statement" but doesn't specify for how much whereas the retirement visa actually says 800k in the bank or pension. After reading the thread about the hassle people are getting from the Hull consulate I'm getting paranoid. biggrin.png

Cheers Joe. The reason I'm really kicking myself over this is I messed up the 400k in the bank for my usual extension by only 2 days ( and I've never screwed it up before) and I've got nobody to blame but myself.

Hi

Ive decided on a final course of action and I've a couple of more questions if somebody could kindly help out.

I'll leave Khon Kaen on Sunday, drive and stay at a resort I know between Udon and Nong Khai Sunday night and cross the border and go to the consulate in Vientiane first thing Monday.

I believe the border opens at 6 a.m. Is that the case? Do the shuttle buses across the bridge start at that time?

My friend told me when he went 2 years ago they have a secure car park near the crossing where you can pay and park your car for a couple of days. Is it still there?

Rather than get a Thai citizens pass to go to Laos can my wife just use her Thai passport to exit?

Many thanks

Seven is a better time to use for border opening.

I have used the parking lot at bus station where shuttle buses for bridge operate from.

No need for border pass if she has a valid passport. She will get a 30 day free entry.

You don't need to bring your thai wife to get Non Imm. O single entry visa, have done it the last 5 years alone.

Only copy of her ID card, marriage certificate and house doc. I have never showed any bankbook so far.

Maybe better to get it in Sawannaket, I heard they give Non o. multiple entry there, good for 1 year (you still need to do border runs every 3 months)

They have a thread about it here on TV: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648404-savannakhet-non-o-multi-approval-no-financials-experience-june-18-2013/

Edited by bander
  • Like 1

Hi all

Just returned from Vientiane with a fresh new single entry non o through marriage.

As you good folk on here said no financials required although please note they also required a photocopy of my Lao visa

Word of warning: The early bird catches the worm. I got there slightly after they opened ( about 20 minutes -van had a problem on the way from the border) and got ticket number 103!

Went and queued an hour and 20 minutes early the next day to pick up the visa and had ticket number 43.

( Wasn't helped by a Russian tour group jumping the queue and completely ignoring mine and others protestations)

Unfortunately for some of them their visas weren't in order and there was a lot of shouting at the counter. I didn't smirk at all of course whistling.gif

A heartfelt thanks to you all for taking the time to respond.

If it's any help to others I supplied:

1 completed visa application form

My passport

2 photos

1 photocopy of my marriage certificate ( front and back) plus original

1 photocopy of my wife's tabien baan house registration book.plus original

1 photocopy of my wife's Thai ID card ( make sure she signs it beforehand if you're traveling alone) plus original

1 photocopy of my passport picture page

1 photocopy of my Lao visa

To be on the safe side even though my wife was with me she signed the all the copies of items relating to her. Not just the ID card.

Edited by mca

• 2 months later...

The witnesses are apparently a local requirement for first extension. Not your first extension but???

Sorry to resurrect this thread but as my 3 month non-o visa expires the first week of January I'm travelling from Bangkok to Khon Kaen immi next week to hopefully extend for a year.

A quick recap:

Because I messed up my seasoning of the 400k in the bank I had to go to Vientiane to get a single entry non-o.

The immi at Khon Kaen told me that despite having 14 years of back to back to back marriage extensions because I'm on a new non-o they treat it as starting again from scratch and I've got to provide 2 witnesses to say that me and my wife are married and living together. We just recently sold our house in KK and moved into another one literally last week.

!) As we now live quite close to our Thai family ( about 1k) can I take my mother in law and sister in law to the immi with us as witnesses? Obviously I haven't got a clue who our new neighbours are.

2) If I can use my in laws do they just come with their ID cards to immi and sign to say that me and my wife live together or is there also an interview with them?

3) Are immi open all Christmas week?

Many thanks for any help.

Edited by mca

If I recall correctly the witnesses cannot be family members. You should ask KK immigration about it since it is a local policy. Perhaps some neighbors of the family would be possible.

They will be open all of Christmas week and then will be closed until the 2nd of January.